Fast Food?

Options
Hi hi again =)

I would like to ask, how many people here, enjoy things like fast food, while on their diets, and with a bit of caution and mindfulness manage to still lose weight?

I've been losing weight at a slow steady paste, but whenever I view other's diaries, =x lol there is an obvious difference in the menu's , I will allow myself "Low carb" style burgers, and have no qualms about even stopping at a place like KFC, or Arby's , so long as I skip out on fries, and toss the bun, and avoid the desserts unless I'm having one of my "High" days and have plenty of calories leftover...

Yet seeing 300 cals of KFC, compared to other's 300 cals of salad or oatmeal, and I begin to wonder if perhaps I might be an odd one out in doing this ^_^;;

I know fast food isn't as healthy as home cooked meals, burgers will never be as good as fish or poultry, but being able to allow myself the ability to eat out when I have a craving, has really made a difference in my being able to stick with it.... If I want fast food, and have a craving, I make room for it, some how some way, I have a list of foods that are low in calories, but high in protein that I can eat, and have ways to cut the calories like skipping out on mayo, or tossing the bun.... I find making fast food off limits for me, well it really makes the diet 10 times more difficult, and I end up wanting to "Compensate" with other foods, I'll eat things in place of what I'm craving, and won't be satisfied with it, and I tend to over eat doing this... o.O If I want a burger nothing else will do! lol...

What do you guys think? Is fast food off limits to you? Do you allow yourself this on occassion? Do you have your own little tips and tricks for getting by, (like getting it low-carb, or picking grilled over fried chicken, etc...) Or do you find some way to make room for it, so you don't feel fully deprived?

I think of Mc Donalds, well it's the first name that comes to mind when we think of obesity in america or unhealthy eating, fast food has such a bad rap these days, everyone automatically can accept it's unhealthy, but when I think of Mc donald's and their 200 and 300 calorie menu.... I think "Wow, it's been so hard to find a meal for 200-300 calories.... I can totally include this!" o.O Am I treading a danger zone here? Or is fast food totally safe when using reason and good judgement?

Replies

• liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Fast food is anything but safe.. If you like the foods, try making them at home! That's what I've done. Fast food chains tend to use questionable ingredients in their foods and in general just plain aren't good for you. They are loaded in fat and sodium. I would avoid the fast food, if I were you. Like I said, learn to make your favorite meals at home, as little cheat meals if you want. :)
  • jennapony
    jennapony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food occasionally and think it is fine.
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    Fast food is anything but safe.. If you like the foods, try making them at home! That's what I've done. Fast food chains tend to use questionable ingredients in their foods and in general just plain aren't good for you. They are loaded in fat and sodium. I would avoid the fast food, if I were you. Like I said, learn to make your favorite meals at home, as little cheat meals if you want. :)

holy cow, the sodium! Even Subway, which I ate for awhile because it seemed a healthier fast food alternative, has tons of sodium! I rarely eat fast food anymore for the sodium alone. Of course, once in awhile isn't a big deal but avoid eating it every day like I used to =(
  • dont_give_up
    dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    In my house, we only eat fast food twice a month, once when I get paid, and the other when my husband gets paid. I have 2 teens and 1 preteen, so I can't afford to buy it more than that. But sometimes I need a break from the kitchen!
    When I first started, I stayed away from fast food, unless I got a salad and even then I didn't eat all of it. Now I will eat it, but I make sure I don't over do it. If I go to Mc Donald's, I order just a burger from the $1 menu, no fries, no soda. If I have a lot of calories left over for the day, I will add a small fry. Every once in a while I will treat myself to a shake or something. A lot of times I will order a kids meal.
    Yes, fast food isn't good for you, but then again they're are a lot of things that aren't good for you. I say as long as you don't over do it, then eat it!!
  • idahofroggie
    idahofroggie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I avoid it as much as I can. I usually carry around a couple of applesauce packs, granola bars, satsumas... just about anything to keep myself from stopping. IF I do, I try to just go with a chicken breast or something. Even the cross contamination of fats and salts and whatnot can send you SOARING over your limit pretty quick!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I eat it quite often but it's down from how much I used to. I would like to cut down to 1x a week but it's proven hard bc I don't know how to cook and don't have much time to. That being said if it fits into your calorie goal I say go for it. it's not too hard to make good choices with fast food but beware your looking at weight loss only not a healthy lifestyle change while still eating frequently. You're doing better than me though by far.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<Lost 134 lbs. Eats fast food at LEAST once a week.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

um. wow. *motivation*
  • Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Some of the menus from fast foods have fairly good macro content. Some have good caloric amounts per serving too. The only thing that keeps me away from it is its sodium content. You can almost get your daily requirement for sodium in 1 serving from a fast food menu. Though there are those which I deem as alright as long as they don't give more than 500-600mg of sodium and if I have them for my main meals but I do make sure to stay away from the fries and soda that it comes with.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

You're my inspiration on this journey. :flowerforyou:
  • dont_give_up
    dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
    Options

WOW!! That is amazing!!
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Try giving it up for a little while. You will find that you want it less and less.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    You won't find me in a fast food place. No Way. WHY I don't get it...I think it tastes terrible. Cheap yes...no taste.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have fast food once or twice a week.those days I usually feel like crap and have to move my eating around for the day. For me it is usually when I am out with the kids and don't have a chance to go home and make food. Just be mindful of the sodium. fast foods are usually very high and that makes you hold water weight for a day or two.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options

Wow! I am inspired by your motivation and hard work. Way to go!!!:smile: