Saunas and Steam Rooms - Any Benefits?

Options
I've heard both good and bad things about saunas/steam rooms. Some claim that they assist the body in detoxifying. Others insist that they can be dehydrating and in some circumstances even dangerous.

Does MFP have any thoughts on the benefits or risks of saunas and steam rooms? (benefits for overall health, detoxifying, skin health, etc...?) TIA!

Replies

• Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I researched this for awhile to see if I was wasting my time. You sweat out a lot and it's possible to dehydrate yourself. Make sure you're well hydrated and typically you only want to do 10-15 minutes max. From my reading it is supposed to help clear your pores and because it's effects on blood flow it can improve the tone of your skin. I also read that because it causes your body temp to rise it creates a sort of "fever" that will help kill off germs in your body, assisting your body. That it increases blood flow is also supposed to be good for muscle recovery. Livestrong is a good website and has plenty of info on it and a myriad of other things too.
  • almostheavengroup
    Options
    Sycoholic has the right idea.

Increased circulation, elevated internal temperature and "cleaning" of the pores are all good benefits of a steam room and sauna.

Just to clarify, though they have the same types of benefits, saunas and steam rooms are not the same enclosure. Too many people use the terms interchangeably. A sauna is constructed of wood and a very, very dry environment. A steam room, on the other hand, employs a steam generator, is constructed of plastic, and is so humid there can be clouds of steam hanging in the air.

Dehydration only occurs when you're not careful to replenish the fluids you sweat out. Such can easily be the case when you're trying to use a sauna or steam room for weight loss. Please don't do this. It indeed can be very dangerous, and doesn't work.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Which is better? A sauna or steam room? Does it come down to personal preference?
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I personally like the steam, better for your skin!!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I like the steam room when I'm congested. I like to use the sauna after swimming to dry off and warm up before going out in the cold.
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I find them both to be incredibly relaxing though not sure about any health benefits
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Not sauna or steam room per se but I'm addicted to hot yoga. The room is heated to about 105 and it is humid. You sweat a lot and need to drink about a gallon of water (1/2 before and 1/2 during/after). I love it but have no idea if it is significantly beneficial other than keeping me limber while I contort my body and sweat like mad. :) Thanks for the info.