Replies

• Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Dinner. - England
    Supper is after 11.00pm!!
    We have strange meal language in our history -

Breakfast - same all over the world
    Tiffin or "elevensies" depending on whether your father was in the army - tiffin if he was - elevensies if youre a manual worker
    Lunch - anytime from 12 to 2
    Afternoon tea - 3 -4 oclock - sandwiches, cake and biscuits or cookies if youre west of UK
    Dinner - 6 to 8
    Supper
    And we wonder why were overweight!!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Depends. If my evening meal is the biggest meal of the day than my meals for the day are breakfast, lunch, dinner. If my biggest meal of the day is around noon than my meals are breakfast, dinner, supper.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Dinner. When you go to a nice or crappy restaurant at night its always dinner prices on the dinner menu. LOL they don't have supper prices on the supper menu. :laugh:
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For me, generally Dinner is in the evening and I don't use the word "supper" unless it's Sunday. I'm in the south east. We also have "Brunch" on weekends, which I much prefer over "Breakfast". Brunch is anytime between 9 and 11:30, which is much nicer than breakfast because you don't have to rush to eat it before work.

However, my family is from the middle of the USA and they use dinner/supper in ways that confuse me sometimes. So, I'm probably not very consistent about my use of dinner/supper. It seems that Dinner is to them, the noon-ish meal, especially on Sundays and Thanksgiving (in which case the meal is closer to 1 or 2 pm and it's the only meal of the day but there is a lot of "grazing" and snacking going on). And the evening meal then is Supper. Dinner tends to feel more formal than Supper regardless of the time of day. The noon meal seems to be Lunch only when it's left overs or something simple like sandwiches.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    We interchange them. Usually it's dinner, but if we are going out we never say out for dinner, that's always supper.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    around here supper is the smaller meal.... dinner is the larger meal...
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm from So Cal and I don't think I've ever heard the term supper used here. It was rampant in Boston where I went to school.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Supper at home, Dinner at the restaurant.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Supper at home, Dinner at the restaurant.

^ winner!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Oh Bullocks!

I'll take brunch
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I learned a little bit in this thread.

Cool. Thanks!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner :D

There's always linner too lol
  • buckmeatball
    buckmeatball Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Supper. If its good enough for Charles Ingalls its good enough for me.
  • pmcovert415
    pmcovert415 Posts: 1,472
    Options
    Dinner here in OH
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    It's dinner. I know a few people that still say supper. I teasethem about it all the time!! It's definately dinner.

To my way of thinking the above is a perfectly good reason to call it supper. It's definitely supper.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Most of the older side of the family uses Super for lunch and dinner, well...for dinner.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I say dinner, I'm from the pacific northwest. My mom says supper, she was raised in the south.
  • ChadB74
    ChadB74 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I use both. I might use supper more...not sure lol.

I'm from MA.

Also from MA but i mostly say dinnah and occasionally suppah.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm from the north of England, and we call it Tea! :)

I'm from the South of England and also call it tea sometimes.

answering the OP: Where I'm from, dinner is the main meal whether you have in the middle of the day or the end of the day.

if you have your main meal in the middle of the day then the meals are called: breakfast, dinner, tea/supper (tea is more common)
    if you have your main meal in the evening then the meals are called: breakfast, lunch, dinner

with my kids, sometimes they have a healthy snack about half an hour before bedtime and we call this supper, even if they've had dinner already
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that many of my super awesome Canadian friends call it supper. I call it dinner.

Just don't call me late for either :P