Dinner or Supper?

Options
124»

Replies

• carly797
    Options
    I've always called the main meals breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with supper being a late evening snack
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Dinner is either at lunch time or supper time, depending on when the family is together and has our main meal. Some days we have breakfast, lunch, dinner, others we have breakfast, dinner, supper. Or sometimes brunch and dinner. I'm from the left coast of Canada. Vancouver Island born and raised.
  • lilylux
    lilylux Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm from the north of England, and we call it Tea! :)
    ^this. :smile:

Also this^ But I'm from New Zealand - a former colony of Great Britania
  • ChristinaK69
    Options
    I just yell FOODAnd the kids come running. They really don't care what the meal is called as long as there is enough of it...

From a small little town in Washington
  • RachChizo
    RachChizo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Dinner...from Aussie :)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I grew up with Breakfast, dinner, and supper. I try to refer to it as Breakfast, lunch and dinner now... I nearly always remember to refer to the noon(ish) meal as "lunch" now but occasionally, I'll revert to Supper for the evening meal.... I reckon, it don't matter too much jus' so long as you git nuff victuals to keep yer' belly from rumblin'

(No offense intended to those from the South since I am from the rural South too...) Jus' be a funnin' y'all :laugh:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I am in NW corner of Missouri, my family says breakfast, dinner, supper. When I got with my now husband he thought it was the weird when we said dinner was at noon, or its time for supper. He was confused by our terminology and he lives in the same town! lol
  • Kendrazombie
    Kendrazombie Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Dinner (Washington state)
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner :D

There's always linner too lol

Linner! My daughter and I used to say that all the time. I thought we were the only ones. Lol.

BTW, from MN and we say Dinner, but growing up it was called Supper.
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    From the Middle of Iowa, and we sit every night for supper
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It's Din Din
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It is really quite simple....

If we invite you to join us for supper, it will be an informal affair of fairly simple food, prepared and served by ourselves, usually a party of no more than 8 guests.

If we invite you to dinner you will be expected to dress accordingly (we will of course state whether black or white tie). The staff will prepare and serve the dinner and be on hand -discreetly- to ensure water and wines are refilled. Dinner is restricted only by the size of the dining hall and can be for up to 30 guests.

:laugh:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of a "main meal". What does that mean? The most calories? I try to make them all main meals, pretty much. Breakfast, lunch and dinner about about the same for me.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Raised in Tennessee and it was also breakfast, lunch and dinner to my family and friends. I've traveled all over the US and I've never seen anything other than breakfast, lunch and dinner on restaurant menus. Apparently in the food industry it's the same.
  • lookingforsomething
    Options
    From Australia -

Dinner is the meal we have around 6.30 pm

Supper is the snack that you have about 8.30pm with your tea or coffee - cake, cookie.
    When we were growing up, on a Friday night we would get pancakes - if we were really lucky :)

Not so lucky anymore :(
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    An Aussie here too. Like the above poster said the big evening meal I would use dinner or tea actually ...I have never used the word supper but I would connect it with a late night snack too.
  • pmcovert415
    pmcovert415 Posts: 1,472
    Options
    I just yell FOODAnd the kids come running. They really don't care what the meal is called as long as there is enough of it...

From a small little town in Washington

lol...thats funny!!