EATING AFTER 9 PM?

2»

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Your friend is wrong. Eat when you're hungry, regardless what time it is.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Your friend is wrong. Eat if you have calories left, regardless what time it is.

fixed it for you
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Your friend is wrong. Eat if you have calories left, regardless what time it is.

fixed it for you

^^^ this!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member

fixed it for you

:grumble:

I thought that was implied. Fiiiiiine.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member

fixed it for you

sorry...but telling someone to eat when they are hungry is very dangerous around here:flowerforyou:
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    The general rule is that you shouldnt eat past...6 I think it is. But if you are truly hungry pick something that will be satisfying AND healthy.

Some people don't even get home from work until after 6. Are they supposed to eat dinner at work?
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    I think it might be more of a sleep thing. I have sleep apnea and spent a bit of time on a forum about it. Most there said that you have better sleep if you don't eat so late. That being said I usually am trying to eat up my calories at night and seem to sleep fine. But the losing weight helps with the sleep apnea too!

Mark
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    I can't fall asleep if I don't eat something. It soothes me. Sometimes drinking hot herbal decaff tea can fill you up and make you not want to eat - no calories there.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    So I usually eat an early dinner and naturally im hungry in the evenings. im wondering if its okay to eat a snack at night when i start to feel hungry?
    me and my friend have this whole thing where he says i shouldnt eat anything after 9 and i say its about what you eat, not when you eat
    thoughts?

So people who work late and night shifts should quit eating most of their meals? Or should they quit sleeping to eat then instead? Your friend hasn't really thought this through, has he?
  • I recently heard that you should stop eating 90 minutes before going to bed. I also heard that most people mistake being tired for hunger at night.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,462 Member
    I recently heard that you should stop eating 90 minutes before going to bed. I also heard that most people mistake being tired for hunger at night.

This is not just a "night" issue.
    I mistake hunger for sleep in general, esp since I work 7p-7a & sometimes don't make it to bed until 9:30 or 10:00am!
    On my days off, if I haven't had enough rest, I will have terrible cravings no matter what time of day it is.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Like others have said, food doesn't know what time it is. As long as you're meeting your calorie and nutrition goals then eat when you're hungry. Personally I have a protein shake before bed, fills me up and stops me waking up ravenous!
  • roseeerickson
    roseeerickson Posts: 295 Member
    From everything I've read, a calorie is metabolized in the same way -- no matter the time of day. So I'd say go ahead and eat a late night snack. Just make sure it's within your calories and maybe a little healthy. ;)
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237

fixed it for you

sorry...but telling someone to eat when they are hungry is very dangerous around here:flowerforyou:

well damn, as soon as I saw her post I ate a large pizza by myself. I wish I saw your correction sooner. Actually... no I don't that pizza was GOOOOOOD. ;)
  • Eat whatever/whenever you want as long as it fits your macros

Your body knows no difference between 9 AM and 9 PM or even 3 PM and 3 AM

The whole "Don't eat after 7/8/9 PM thing" is just a BS rumor. Like the moon being made out of cheese.

the moon isn't made of cheese?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    So I usually eat an early dinner and naturally im hungry in the evenings. im wondering if its okay to eat a snack at night when i start to feel hungry?
    me and my friend have this whole thing where he says i shouldnt eat anything after 9 and i say its about what you eat, not when you eat
    thoughts?

So people who work late and night shifts should quit eating most of their meals? Or should they quit sleeping to eat then instead? Your friend hasn't really thought this through, has he?
    I work from midnight to 8 am. The one thing I did for rapid weight loss was to eat all my calories just prior to sundown. It made a world of difference. I lost over 100lbs doing this.
  • fihealth
    fihealth Posts: 165 Member
    This article provides an interesting overview of studies on eating times: http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/35320/35323/432544.html?d=dmtHMSContent

It seems like there has been no direct study targeting this exact question, but given existing research, meal time does not effect weight all else being equal. However, late eating is often also associated with overconsumption and weight gain.