How did you ditch the biscuits?

Options
I'm a Mum to two beautiful girls Miss 2 and Miss 8 months. As other Mums will know it's tiring and when I'm tired my will power is basically non existant. I lost a lot 22 pounds by myself over a couple of months but getting sick knocked me off my stride and its been 3 months and can't seem to get back into it? Any help would be so great. I know I need to exercise to get my strength up but just can't quite take that 1st step. I don't want to be a bad example for my daughters (my mum eats everything in sight) I want them to have a healthy relationship with food

Replies

• nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I didn't ditch anything - just had less of it.

And I stopped picking food of the kids' plates instead of "wasting" it :)
  • juliedor
    juliedor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I find if you don't have it in the house you can't eat it.
    You're setting a great example of good eating for your girls>Well done!
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Biscuits and cakes should be treats, so I have started to behave as such. They are not kept in the house, but instead I always have a full fruit bowl with whatever is on special. This month grapes seem to be half price everywhere. Also have a steady supply of bananas which help stem cravings for sweet stuff. However, if we go out for a walk or a bike ride, we might finish at a cafe where we have cake or biscuits.
  • cheekychic70
    cheekychic70 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks I really want it to be easier for them. I know not to have it in the house but I get treats for the girls then eat them very silly I'm stopping today fruit, yogurt etc can be their new treats
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    They are still young enough to believe treats are what you tell them. When I was a toddler I would go mad for a tin of Heinz tomato soup eaten in front of the TV and my godson thinks baked beans are the most amazing treat and he is 4 :-)
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    When I started I stopped buying cakes etc but for the kids I'd bake using low sugar recipes and even some traditional recipes I'd use but half the sugar. I note however that you say 2 yrs and 8 mths old and you r tired and as a mum of 5 with a ten mth old (oldest 19 and not home) I can relate with the picking and maybe no time or inclination to bake...I'm trying to stick to 2/3 meals per day (not an early eater) so that I'm only preparing/thinking about food then and it's not easy but has helped me to have a framework (this is also something I did in the beginning as well to help guage the difference between hunger/tiredness/thirst). If you need to snack, as others say try fruit but I prefer extra protein for satiety...tin tuna, ham, cottage cheese, boiled egg, nuts. Good luck n don't give up..it's a challenge but there's a lesson in it all you realise eventually so don't be hard on yourself.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Its okay to eat pretty much anything delish and edible, its all just moderation. I still eat the stuff I ate before, just not everyday and less of it (like an actual serving instead of 5 lol). Good luck!!! =]
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks I really want it to be easier for them. I know not to have it in the house but I get treats for the girls then eat them very silly I'm stopping today fruit, yogurt etc can be their new treats

I'm going to second the lady to say just keep it out of the house - not forever, just until you feel your a little stronger. Christmas last year we had a yard of Jaffa cakes in the house- they lasted five minutes between me and my other half- this year we still have 3/4 of the yard left (and not eaten by me I may add). There will come a point where you can ignore items in the cupboards, but it will take quite a bit of willpower plus time to reach.

For now, perhaps use fruit/yoghurt/quick recipes as treats as you suggested: if they're not keen on it plain there's plenty of ways to make it exciting. Frozen banana ice cream (frozen bananas blitzed), banana pancakes, smoothies, yoghurt ice pops, sliced fruit with peanut butter dip, rice pudding with jam etc.

Or, if they really do love the biscuits- why not buy the packs that are preportioned out into X amount of biscuits (the packs for lunch boxes)?
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    How about making your own biscuits with the kids? Can be fun and seeing exactly what goes into them might deter you from eating a lot of them - plus you can find some low calorie recipes which will mean you can eat more of them!

Find a way to enjoy them rather than feeling guilty about them.