Any homeschooling SAHM out there?

Options

Replies

• kuttyshark
    kuttyshark Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, new on here, but I homeschool our three children. 9th, 7th, and 4th. We use SOS and saxon. Getting them in shape with me. We are a bunch of lazy stay at home people. But going to start getting out 3 or more days a week to exercise for the 9th graders PE.

Feel free to add me, would love all the friends I can get.
  • hthrhrpr
    hthrhrpr Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We use Teaching Textbooks for math, Real Science 4 Kids for Chemistry, and we use Trail Guide to Learning Paths of Exploration for everything else. With occasional cursive, and extra grammar (Growing with Grammar).
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Would you fine ladies please send me a message with what type of curriculum ideas you use for your kids. My wife and I are setting things up for our daughter to be Homeschooled. I could use your advice and experience. Any links or other types of resources that you find to be useful would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    Would you fine ladies please send me a message with what type of curriculum ideas you use for your kids. My wife and I are setting things up for our daughter to be Homeschooled. I could use your advice and experience. Any links or other types of resources that you find to be useful would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'd appreciate some help on this topic too. I need to homeschool my daughter ASAP and have no idea how to go about it.

The first thing that you need to do is fund out the law in your state. After you know that you can look into other things like your schedule and curriculem.

Find out the law from this site. hslda.org/default.aspx
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Yay! I homeschool/unschool my 2 boys and always have. They are now 15 & 13. I usually work from home but recently took a temporary full-time job which has been really interesting for the boys. They have learned very quickly how to be responsible for their own work (I leave them a to do list each day) and getting themselves to Parkour, Homeschool co-op and Homeschool bowling league. I think they are enjoying their independence. I, however, am missing being home and look forward to returning there by summer. I like the full-time paycheques though.

I've been on mfp for a year through ups and downs (weight-wise and life-wise). I would love some homeschoolin' friends.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

We don't use a curriculum but do use texts and workbooks when they fit what we want to do. We used Miquon for math and Explode the Code . Some Critical Thinkng books, made our own unit studies, and mostly just DID lots of stuff.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have never been a SAHM, but we homeschooled, and dad stayed at home. Our kids are in 8th and 9th grades now and in public school for the first time this year. (And dad is about to head to college! Woot!)
  • kailatilear
    Options
    Homeschooling sahm here too. I am also a full time student myself. I am homeschooling my 16 yr old son this year. We are using Penn Foster. Hoping to shed this weight and get healthier.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options

We don't use a curriculum but do use texts and workbooks when they fit what we want to do. We used Miquon for math and Explode the Code . Some Critical Thinkng books, made our own unit studies, and mostly just DID lots of stuff.

Do you have addresses for the web links you mentioned? Where did you find the workbooks that you found useful?
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I am homeschooling 4 kids and have 1 9 month old..5 kids total
  • Leighlia34
    Leighlia34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am also a SAHM, though I don't home school. Winters can be tough and where I live, there is NO going outside to workout, it's about 10 degrees outside, on a good day. However, I have an inexpensive treadmill that I use, free weights (you can buy them used for cheap) and a weight bench. If you don't want to spend the money, at least get a jump rope, resistance band and a few good workout videos and its all you need to get you through the next 4 months!
  • 1ChubbyMamma
    1ChubbyMamma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Homeskoolin' Mama is in the howse!!!! :wink:

I am blessed to have the freedom to teach 2nd grade to my 6 & 7 yr olds and K with my 5 yr old.
    I am using Abeka book.

I do have a substitute teacher that teaches them 2 days a week while I work,
    and also is our principle, janitor, and lunch lady....their Daddy! :laugh:
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    Homeskoolin' Mama is in the howse!!!! :wink:

I am blessed to have the freedom to teach 2nd grade to my 6 & 7 yr olds and K with my 5 yr old.
    I am using Abeka book.

I do have a substitute teacher that teaches them 2 days a week while I work,
    and also is our principle, janitor, and lunch lady....their Daddy! :laugh:

Lunch lady...................:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 1ChubbyMamma
    1ChubbyMamma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    He's the BEST lunch lady out there!! :wink:
    He can serve up lunches that taste oh so good! I know so since the lunch lady shows up once a week during one of my shifts.
    School always gets done faster with the cute lunch lady around!!! :love:

(Thinking about getting the toy cash register out for the lunch lady so that she can start charging the kids for their meals! :laugh:
    Nothing wrong with learning some arithmetic while you eat! :happy: I think I'll even leave them some milk money before I go to work this week!!!) :laugh:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My husband is picking up my middle son today at lunch time to get a free TV for a project....something about lenses that melt concrete..... I am not sure who is more excited, my son or my husband.
  • mamamckenzie
    Options
    Homeschooling SAHM here! 6 year old son in first grade, 4 1/2 year old daughter doing kindergarten work and badly wanting to catch up to her big brother. Feel free to add me, as I'd love some MFP homeschooling mom friends!
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sahm and I Homeschool our 8 year old and our almost 3 year old. we use rod and staff
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    I'm a home-school mom, I've got two college students, and two high-schoolers now. I only home-school one high school student now, but all 4 have been in home-school. I've been at it for about 15 or 16 years. I lose count! I'm stay-at-home mostly, because I do teach pottery at our art store and help around the shop and work from home sometimes. We are Christians and have used various curricula from SOS, Bob Jones, to Abeka. I highly recommend Easy Grammar, and Write Shop for language arts. Saxon is best for math. SOS is often very difficult because some of it is poorly written and the test questions often don't mesh with the lessons. That being said, it is handy and helpful and I use it, although sparingly. Apologia is hands down the best for science, especially Christian viewpoints. I hope my suggestions are helpful. Please feel free to add me!
  • AustinAnnMarie
    Options
    I homeschool my 8 and 5 year old boys but I work outside the home on Fri/Sat/Sun as a nurse. Would love to connect and help motivate or be motivated. : )
    AnnMarie :flowerforyou:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Me! :)
    Feel free to add.