When the weight is coming off but you still look the same

Options
Hi, i joined the site on February 8th through the app on the Iphone. It's only recently that I have realised that behind the nifty little app there's actually a whole community on here.

Now, I have a problem and wondered if anybody else had ever had the same.

Since Feb 8th I have lost around 18 pounds. But i can't seem to tell the difference and nobody else (apart from my girlfriend and parents) seem notice that I've lost any weight. It's absolutely doing my head in, i feel that i should at least have somebody think I've lost weight but nobody has seemed to notice.

Has anybody else gone through this stage? It would be good to hear if anyone else has been through this?

When i stated i weighed in at 105.4 kg and now weigh 97ish kg. My target was initially 88kg, but will probably push for 84/85 when i get there.

Replies

• melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    Meeeeeeeeeeee! I totally have that problem! I started out at 143 kgs and now I'm 103. Yes, obviously people have noticed but from about 120 kgs down to 103, I really feel like I haven't changed shape at all! I'm just trying to remain positive: surely if the 'normal' bmi weight for my height/age/sex is 79 kgs then every couple of kgs should make all the difference from now, right? I hope so! xxx
  • milleka
    milleka Posts: 4
    Options
    I went through this too. No one really started saying anything to me until I'd lost about 30 pounds. Now I'm at 40, and I am finally starting to see it. Keep up the good work!
  • Newfunlander
    Newfunlander Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Last year I lost 25 pounds and no one noticed. I was so discouraged that I stopped trying. I maintained my weight until recently and decided to start again. Now I lost 14 pounds and everyone that sees me comments on it. I am not sure what changed so much this time. Don't let it discourage you . They will notice eventually ! ...lol.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Generally when someone is a little heavier it takes a little longer for others to start noticing the weight loss. Don't worry, very soon people will ask you about your weight loss, it might take 20 pounds before it happens but it will.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Take measurements around common areas (thigh, hips, abdomen, chest, arms, etc.) this will show you that you are indeed losing weight :-)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I think it takes awhile for your body to settle into its new lower weight. I haven't lost but maybe a couple of pounds in the last two weeks and I've just started getting compliments. Have you bought new clothes yet? Buying clothes in my new, smaller size made all the difference in people noticing.
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    Take measurements around common areas (thigh, hips, abdomen, chest, arms, etc.) this will show you that you are indeed losing weight :-)

100% agree with this- tracking your measurements really helps so you can see how much weight you are losing even if the scale doesn't show it, or you can't see it.
    I am 46.5 pounds lost right now, and about 21 total inches lost but of course, I have alot to lose so I don't see it. Other people have noticed, and none of my clothes fit anymore, but I still see the same old me. I know eventually that will change.

Hang in there, give it time, you will see it and so will others, plus, you will FEEL the difference in your activities, and that's awesome.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    What I have noticed is when I hit around 20 pounds off people start asking if I have done something different with my hair. I have lost a little over 20 lbs and I am now in a smaller size pants so I must be smaller. Like you I couldn't see a big difference just looking but my measurements show I am 11 inches smaller over all. I would encourage you to give it a little more time. I bet in another 5 or 10 lbs it will be much more obvious. Look for other ways like smaller clothes (my personal favorite) and maybe try having your girlfriend do your measurements about once a month. Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:
  • Carmelo1988
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's. Nice to know I'm not the only one to have gone through this :smile:

Aggie you're right about the measurements, I have some jeans that i couldn't button up all the way back in February and now i get into them with ease :happy: