Green Tea

Options
teee12
teee12 Posts: 93 Member
So, recently i decided to start drinking green tea, and i cannot stop drinking it. i usually consume about 1-1.5 litres a day, as well as 1 litre of water, however, i dont usually leave the tea bag in for long anyway.

so, how much is to much? does anyone know, like i did some research, and green tea has sooo many health benefits, so just interested to know.

cheers
teresa

Replies

• hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Are you using decaffeinated green tea? If not that's too much caffeine.
  • teee12
    Options
    nope, just t2 teas :)
  • aliceguy
    aliceguy Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I drink it as well, a mug or two a day but I double up on the tea bags as I like it strong and let them sit for about 5 minutes. In my morning cuppa, I also add a teaspoon of cinnamon.
    Before everyone laughs, I dont mind the taste and there is anecdotal evidence it halps your metabolism as well as other things.

So I figured it couldnt hurt and gave a bit of flavour to the tea
  • phreekles
    phreekles Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm a green tea addict too! I use Clipper green tea and on the packet it recommends using hot water (left to cool after the kettle has boiled) to reduce the amount of caffeine in the tea (boiling water increases the caffeine for some reason) and it also says to leave the tea bag in for 6 minutes so you gain the most benefits from the green tea. I usually leave the tea bag in while I'm drinking the tea so it tastes a lot stronger and you might not need to drink so much of it!
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted too. Iced, hot...it just doesn't matter! :)
  • teee12
    Options
    awesome! good to know i'm not the only one ;) interesting about the cinnamon !!
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I have never heard anyone say there's a problem with too much green tea, except for the caffeine. If you are making it kind of weak you might not be getting too much. It sounds like you aren't using any kind of sweetener. Did you give up another caffeinated drink and switch to the green tea?

WebMD said it can block the absorption of iron and can exacerbate IBS. It also said 3-4 cups per day is OK, sounds like you are getting 4-6 cups. Almost all of the warnings are about the caffeine, some of them pretty severe but I think many people get that much caffeine from other sources (soda & coffee drinkers). You might try decaf for some of what you drink, it tastes exactly the same.

I recently started drinking green chai tea (also has cinnamon and other spices) in the morning instead of coffee and I love it. Only 1-2 cups per day though.
  • teee12
    Options
    thanks!!!! :) true,they dont have decafe green teas at the t2 shop, i dont think... ill ask next time i go in though. :)
  • StrongerMomto7
    StrongerMomto7 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I drink quite a bit of it each day as well. I alternate between green tea and water all day. And I add cinnamon to mine as well. :)
  • aliceguy
    aliceguy Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I drink quite a bit of it each day as well. I alternate between green tea and water all day. And I add cinnamon to mine as well. :)

I am similar, when I have green tea its usually in the morning with cinnamon, and then a sleepy time type of tea at night to help me get to sleep. As I have problems getting to sleep, always have.
    And then during the day drink a minimum of 2 litres of water a day excluding the tea.

You finding any benefits from the cinnamon? If I may ask?
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    green tea and any tea is awesome for you, its good for healing the body in general as long as its plain, drink up!
    I drink about 12 - 8 oz cups a day.
  • Beckahecka
    Options
    Green tea is awesome, I drink quite a bit as well. I also drink a tea called Yerba Mate that tastes pretty good. Health benefits are great.
  • appleti17
    Options
    I have 2 cups a day sometimes 3, and love it, it's really helped with my stomach problems, I usually make it quite strong and drink it once it's is Luke Warm, plus 1 - 2 litres of water a day, couldn't drink more than that though as I would never be out of the bathroom!!

Going to try the cinnamon thing though out of curiosity, I always put cinnamon in my soya milk in the evening, so worth a go