Anyone doing the DASH diet plan?

Options
ABQsheila
ABQsheila Posts: 46 Member
Hi, I'm Sheila. For the past several years I've been trying to have a more healthy lifestyle. A doctor recommended the DASH diet several years ago and I've followed it off and on for about 4 years. I've lost about 35 pounds so far and pretty much kept it off. I'm pretty proud of that.....especially since I'm in my 70's now. Sadly I'm in the obese category but I'm still motivated to loose more. I've been tracking my food and exercise here for a few months and that's been very helpful and motivating. I would love to share my journey with others who are following the DASH plan

Replies

• Lunasash
    Lunasash Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi! my name is Ashley. I just started the dash diet and am looking for receipes. Any suggestions?
  • hailie08
    hailie08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just started this after christmas! I even got a whole recipe book with it and i love it so far!
  • Lunasash
    Options
    I have only been following it about a week but I love it as well. I do go over on the sweets to 1 per day instead of 1/2, but usually my calories is way under the projected goal. :)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Just started it myself, still working on getting everything in including all the calories (my trainer recommended that I use the calories for moderate exercise, but I can't even get in all the cals for light exercise!), but I have increased my veggie intake and am getting 27-30 of fiber per day. So I'm a work in progress on this
  • Sirref0275
    Sirref0275 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No but i am drinkiing shakeology!!!
    Steve
  • gloryweissert
    Options
    what is the dash plan??
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    DASH is the Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension, it is a high fiber diet plan that was originally designed to help lower high blood pressure and diabetes, it was found that it could also be used for weight loss. You can get the book "DASH Diet for Weight Loss" by Thomas Moore as a regular book or an e-book (I got the e-book on my Nook for $12 versus the $26 that Barnes and Noble was selling the book for.) The book helps you determine how may calories you should be eating per day then gives you the number of servings of fruits, vegetables, grains, protein, nuts, dairy, and sweets that you can eat to meet the calories. They do tell you that the calories you eat can vary a little bit depending on what you eat ( for example I'm eating on the 1600 cal plan, I had one day I was at 1590, one day at 1600, and one day at 1663.)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    My husband was put on it and we were following for a while, he's slacking so badly and I can't get him to straighten out! It's not really that hard of a diet, I didn't think! I'm trying to get him to go back to it..
  • MamaWolfe00
    MamaWolfe00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the book and am getting ready to start this. I would love any recipes!!
  • Lunasash
    Options
    You can also get the basic plan from the national institute of health. Just google "Dash diet" and scroll down until you see the PDF version of it.

It is very nice to have a real eating plan that is not based on diet foods. I am an RN and do a lot of research into nutrition for continuing my education and just for myself. This is basically following the food guide pyramid but with basic tweeks to the plan and a lot of guidance about serving sizes.

Good luck everyone.
    (BTW... one week down for me and 10 lbs gone)
  • Lunasash
    Options
    I have the book and am getting ready to start this. I would love any recipes!!

Try the chicken ceasar wraps. They are very good. :)

I am trying to find more recipes during my days off work. I will post back later.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just ordered the book because my husband and I decided we are going to start this plan. We both want to lose some weight and he has heart disease so it's a great diet for us. I think the first two weeks with no bread, fruit, etc will be tough but it's only two weeks and if I get the results they promise (and I don't see how I couldn't considering how I eat and drink now) then it will be worth every day of it.