Inexpensive healthy foods

Options
Hi i need some more ideas for some yummy healthy meals that have relatively inexpensive ingredients. Please let me know and thanks :)

Replies

• blondechic213
    Options
    I just made my grocery list and for $40, I'll be able to prepare 1 breakfast that can last atleast 4-5 days (depending on how many people eat it), 2 lunches and 4 dinners. I figure I'll have enough of the 4 dinners to have leftovers for lunch on the other 2 days without a planned lunch.

For breakfast, I made burrito filling in the crockpot. All you'll need is one package of frozen hashbrowns, 12 eggs, a little milk and some sausage or turkey bacon. Break up the hashbrowns so there's no big chunks and place at bottom of crockpot. Place cooked meat on top and then in a bowl, beat 12 eggs with a couple splashes of milk. Pour on top and cook on low for 6-7 hours. I've also tried adding some maple syrup or hot sauce to the pot. It's great for throwing in a tortilla in the morning for a quick breakfast and my fiance loves them. It would even be good without the tortilla if you wanted to avoid the carbs.

For lunches, I'm going to make egg salad and tuna salad. I just add a little mayo and some celery and eat it as open faced sandwich.

For dinners, I'm going to make Ginger Infused Honey Chicken served over brown rice, Stovetop Chili (brown turkey meat and throw in bunch of beans, some corn and tomatoes), Black Bean Burgers with homemade sweet potato fries and Spinach and Feta Pie with a baked potato.

http://skinnyms.com/ginger-infused-honey-chicken/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/detail.aspx

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/03/easy-crust-less-spinach-and-feta-pie.html#more

Here's the grocery list: (This works if you have some basics at home already, such as rice and canned/frozen goods)
    2 lbs chicken
    1 lb ground turkey meat
    sweet potatoes
    tuna
    celery
    18 pack of eggs
    soy sauce
    sausage
    dry black beans
    milk
    bread
    feta cheese
    tortillas
    hashbrowns

I hope this helps you out :happy:
  • focusedBri
    focusedBri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that. I will be using that one!
  • tialeann1
    Options
    great list, i'll be using that for sure thanx! :)
  • Lunasash
    Lunasash Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I make yogurt (1 Cup) with 1/4 Cup granola and 1/2 Cup fresh fruit for breakfast.
    Chicken ceasar wraps for lunch (1.5 ounces chicken breast, 2 cups lettuce, 1/4 cup shredded parmesean cheese, 2 tbsp ceasar dressing in a 12 inch whole wheat tortilla)
    steamed (or baked) salmon (topped with lemon wedges, a little olive oil, ground black pepper, dash of salt) and various veggies for dinner
    or
    cobb salad with romaine lettuce, 3 hard boiled eggs, homemade ceasar or blue cheese dressing (both low fat recipes) and carrots

For something sweet try 2 dark chocolate hershey's kisses and 2 cinnamon graham crackers :)
  • cielbee
    cielbee Posts: 62
    Options
    Like bc123, I really like tortillas (well, mostly corn tortillas). You can layer them with refried beans, corn, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, etc or make fish/shredded cabbage/salsa tacos, make a potato and egg taco or roll them into enchiladas. Eggs are inexpensive-you can scramble them, poach them, hard boil them or make a frittata or omelet. I love sweet potatoes-I cook them in the microwave and eat them plain, diced in salads or mashed. Pasta salads are easy-mix your favorite pasta shape with veggies (I like to add frozen peas, celery, cucumber, peppers, onion, olives, diced tomatoes, beans, etc) and dress with Italian dressing or make up your own vinaigrette. If you need more protein add in diced egg, meat or cheese.
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I just made my grocery list and for $40, I'll be able to prepare 1 breakfast that can last atleast 4-5 days (depending on how many people eat it), 2 lunches and 4 dinners. I figure I'll have enough of the 4 dinners to have leftovers for lunch on the other 2 days without a planned lunch.

For breakfast, I made burrito filling in the crockpot. All you'll need is one package of frozen hashbrowns, 12 eggs, a little milk and some sausage or turkey bacon. Break up the hashbrowns so there's no big chunks and place at bottom of crockpot. Place cooked meat on top and then in a bowl, beat 12 eggs with a couple splashes of milk. Pour on top and cook on low for 6-7 hours. I've also tried adding some maple syrup or hot sauce to the pot. It's great for throwing in a tortilla in the morning for a quick breakfast and my fiance loves them. It would even be good without the tortilla if you wanted to avoid the carbs.

For lunches, I'm going to make egg salad and tuna salad. I just add a little mayo and some celery and eat it as open faced sandwich.

For dinners, I'm going to make Ginger Infused Honey Chicken served over brown rice, Stovetop Chili (brown turkey meat and throw in bunch of beans, some corn and tomatoes), Black Bean Burgers with homemade sweet potato fries and Spinach and Feta Pie with a baked potato.

http://skinnyms.com/ginger-infused-honey-chicken/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/detail.aspx

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/03/easy-crust-less-spinach-and-feta-pie.html#more

Here's the grocery list: (This works if you have some basics at home already, such as rice and canned/frozen goods)
    2 lbs chicken
    1 lb ground turkey meat
    sweet potatoes
    tuna
    celery
    18 pack of eggs
    soy sauce
    sausage
    dry black beans
    milk
    bread
    feta cheese
    tortillas
    hashbrowns

I hope this helps you out :happy:

Excellent menu! Thanks
  • sherri33s
    sherri33s Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    good ideas
  • jamieskadra
    Options
    I'm really big on eggs (usually scrambled but thats just my preference) and instant oatmeal for breakfast. Both are pretty inexpensive, easy to prepare, and easy to calculate portions.

For lunch, I vary a lot, but I like to keep oscar mayer deli fresh meats (turkey and lean ham) on hand. They are only 50 or 60 calories per serving, and also pretty cheap. I save calories and carbs by making my sandwhiches open faced, a nifty trick I learned. I honestly don't miss the extra piece of bread, in fact I actually prefer it that way.

I also make my own salads. Which can be really cheap, especially if you make multiple portions at once instead of buying the premade types in grocery store.

Another must have I keep in the fridge is low fat cottage and its also cheap.

For dinner, I vary even more because I'm always preparing for my whole family (hubby + kids) who aren't on the diet bandwagon.
    Try Beef Vegetable Stew:
    a beef roast (i usually buy a rump roast)
    a 32 oz can of tomato juice
    canned or frozen veggies of your choice (i use diced tomatoes, peas, green beans, carrots)
    3 or 4 peeled potatoes (you can use canned if you like, i just prefer fresh)
    one can beef broth
    lawry's seasoned salt (i get the reduced sodium)

Put the uncooked roast in your crockpot, sprinkle liberally with seasoned salt and pepper if you like. Add the drained/ dethawed veggies and potatoes. Then add the whole can of beef broth. Finally add as much of the tomato juice you can or like until crock pot is full. Cook on medium/high for at least 6 hours. (You have to add 30 min to cook time each time you open the lid, if you do open lid during cook time) This is a pretty cheap dinner my whole family will eat, its low on calories, and I can eat on the leftovers after dinner for days. Plus its better than than any canned veggie soups I've had.

For snacks I like to keep ready made Sugar free jello and Snack Pack pudding on hand. They are also pretty cheap, and easy to control portions.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Besides the other suggestions, i think the key to this is buying in season and on sale. You can check your local ads and shop according to what is on sale and in season(therfore less expensive) and build meals around it.
  • jenjen3711
    Options
    Awesome ideas!
  • 711llgisme
    Options
    For breakfast I make a big batch of steel cut oats. Keep in fridge for hubby & i. We microwave daily portions. Adding in chia seeds, pure maple syrup, 1 oz. raw nuts & drink a green smoothie. Kids eat fresh fruit - 1 drinks the smoothies (I have 3 kids)

For lunch its usually a salad full of various vegies, vegetarian chicken and a salad dressing of salsa & greek yogurt mixed. Sometimes I switch it up & eat tuna sandwich (mayo free) on ezekial. Kids - turkey/chicken wraps/sandwiches on ezekial.

For dinner it varies - but I try to make a few bigger meals and freeze for later. So I am only usually buying enough ingredients for 4 meals.

Snacks(try to have 3 choices on hand)...pretzels, fruit, vegies (usually carrots,celery,peas) & hummus, homemade raw cookies, applesauce...etc

Then there is kids juice/tea & hot chocolate (their winter treat), almond milk, coffee, tea bags & paper and cleaning products when needed.

I try to stay under $100. each week.