A question of soreness

Options
OK so here's the story. I was in decent shape a long long time ago in high school. I never really ate right, but I did burn enough calories for it to not matter a ton. When I lifted the next day I was sore. Not overly "I can't lift my arms above my waist" sore, just that nice dull tension.

Recently I've started P90X (in my 3rd week) and have been lifting weights as part of that program. I'm lifting the proper weight, which isn't half what I did in high school, so that at rep 8 or 9 I struggle, and sometimes there is no number 9 cause I can't get the weight up anymore. The problem is that within hours of finishing I don't feel that nice dull ache that says "hey you just did some good work", and by the next day I can't even tell that I exercised the night before.

Anybody have any ideas on why this might be? Is it a good thing, bad thing, diet thing, you're way out of shape thing?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    IDK I don't get sore anymore either. I just assume that we have reached a finess level in which we no longer get sore?
  • spicylemon
    Options
    Hi this happened to me too!
    and let me tell you its TOTALLY normal, it means that your not gonna get any bigger and you're just lifting to maintain your current muscle or weight. But I can see you wanna boost your muscle size, so you should increase your weights by a couple more pounds. Its better to lift a small amount of reps with a bigger weight then lifting a bunch of reps with smaller weights. know what i mean? lol thats how you build more muscle.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I've noticed that what I struggled with the week before gets easier the next week, so I've gone up a few pounds every week. Maybe I'll hit a point where I'm back to lifting enough to let me know I've lifted the next day. :-)