What else do I need to eat?!

Options
Hey guys! Been at a 1,000 calorie defect for a year now. Ate around 1450 a day. Shed over 67 lbs. I am now looking to build some muscle. I am not looking to be like Arnold, just some decent arms, abs, glutts, etc... All that good stuff. It says I need 2,480 a day to gain 1/2lb a week. This, to me, sounds like so much! What would you recommend me add into or take away from my food diary in order to meet these goals. All tips and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated! Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• barger01
    barger01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I would guess people are going to start off by recommending you increase protein, but how much exactly I will leave to a more experienced/qualified person.

If you're looking to add high caloric foods that are still healthy, I recommend avocados and nuts or nut butters.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. My boyfriend drinks protein shakes and eats things like chicken, bison, and fish.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you post your question here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

There are a lot of smart people there who can help you figure out a program to build muscle (or at least point you in the right direction) and discuss your concerns about your calories.
  • barger01
    Options
    I totally forgot about nuts as an option. Great suggestion. Thanks so much!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Youll want to add starchy carbs to workout days to get to your goal number.
    So for instance if my maintenance is 2400 and my cut is 2k....
    I'll get my 1g protein per pound of LBM
    I'll get my .40-.70g fats per pound of LBM
    I'll fill the rest with carbs.

Lift heavy in a 3x5 or 5x5 program and youll do great.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    hmm, I could only see one day of your diary fully filled in, so don't know how indicative it is for your eating pattern as a whole.

But, based on that, not all carbs are your enemies. If you're worried about wheat or potatoes, you can still have multi-grain bread and rice or barley as an extra on your diet. Up your dairy intake, if you can (I can't, have a slight intolerance). Have some extra eggs and meat and when buying the meat don't shy away from the full fat version. Nuts help with the calories as well.
  • barger01
    Options
    Thanks man! I think I know how to go about this haha.
  • barger01
    Options
    hmm, I could only see one day of your diary fully filled in, so don't know how indicative it is for your eating pattern as a whole.

But, based on that, not all carbs are your enemies. If you're worried about wheat or potatoes, you can still have multi-grain bread and rice or barley as an extra on your diet. Up your dairy intake, if you can (I can't, have a slight intolerance). Have some extra eggs and meat and when buying the meat don't shy away from the full fat version. Nuts help with the calories as well.

Yea, I was so used to logging everyday when loosing 2lbs a week, i just stopped logging. Its a hassle and I knew what I was doing. So know I have to start again in order to make sure I know protein and fat levels. Who would've thought that loosing fat and building muscle would be so dang technical!
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Yes! Protein and nuts (protein shakes, meat, eggs, walnuts, etc) would be good for if you are looking to do strength training. Also, some cards after your workout. This is information my friend's trainer gives her.
  • barger01
    Options
    I would recommend you post your question here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

There are a lot of smart people there who can help you figure out a program to build muscle (or at least point you in the right direction) and discuss your concerns about your calories.

Thanks for this link!!
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Yea, I was so used to logging everyday when loosing 2lbs a week, i just stopped logging. Its a hassle and I knew what I was doing. So know I have to start again in order to make sure I know protein and fat levels. Who would've thought that loosing fat and building muscle would be so dang technical!

Well... my fiancé and I started the weight thing together but from opposite ends, I needed to lose weight and he needed to gain weight. His trainer told him to start with eating 1 litre of milk per day, 1 kg of bread per day and 1 kg of meat per day. Just to start off.

But as you've just lost all this weight I understand that you'd rather go careful ;)
  • westonhive
    westonhive Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • barger01
    Options

Well... my fiancé and I started the weight thing together but from opposite ends, I needed to lose weight and he needed to gain weight. His trainer told him to start with eating 1 litre of milk per day, 1 kg of bread per day and 1 kg of meat per day. Just to start off.

But as you've just lost all this weight I understand that you'd rather go careful ;)

Alright, I will look at this some and go from there! Thanks for your feedback. Its appreciated!