Cooking Meals.

Options
I know I don't cook my other half does it but I do see that some diets are so hard to do one meal for everyone. It's unfair on him to cook 2 different types of meals (one for me and one for him and my daughter).

What do other people with families do?

Ruby is pretty good at eating some foods, even ones I don't eat but her eating the same foods all the time isn't good for her, shes 3 and eats mostly whats put in front of her. Our other daughter isn't on solids yet.

Fun and nice recipes or suggestions would be great. I know my other half would appreciate the help too!

Replies

• 3boysunder3
    3boysunder3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My kids are really into stir frys at the moments. They are so quick you can make them individually. I usually make the kids first and whilst theirs cools down I do mine with a few healthier or a few less ingredients.

During the winter now we quite often eat lentil curries or lentil stews which are easy to make, healthy but yet filling. My kids especially love lentil and sweet potato stew. Fresh salad on the side, the boys sometimes have a tortilla with it.Yum.

Fish is a good option with rice or new potatoes.

We usually all eat the same (got a 2 year old and a 9 month old) just that the kids get some extra carbs or more cheese etc. than me.

Hope that is a little help.

Andrea
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    There's no reason your family needs more than one meal while you're trying to loose!!

I have 4 kids (9 months - 5 years old) and they all eat what we eat. Here are the modifications: on their veggies, I add butter and fresh parm cheese - I eat my veggies plain. Kids do have more sensitive taste buds so while it's important to me that they eat their veggies, I'm not opposed to softening the blow of the flavour with some cheese - me on the other hand, I can suck it up and eat them plain (for now, I think whole foods such as butter and parm cheese will be fine once I've lost the weight - in moderation!!)

Buy meats such as chicken and fish and roast them with various herbs - on chicken I pile thick with oregano, basil, thyme etc. the kids love it and it's such an easy quick way for juicy healthy meat. Fish only needs some paprika, a little garlic and maybe some parm cheese ontop for the kiddos - go for tilapia and sole which are a little less flavourful for the kids to handle if they're not used to fish.

Make a side of quinoa and boil it in chicken broth.

These options may seem like the more expensive choices but if this is all you're making at dinner and cutting out the crap processed extras, it keeps your grocery bill quite affordable.

My kids have only ever eaten like this because in our early days we were broke and couldn't afford to stock the freezer with frozen pizza and chicken nuggets etc. and buying fresh veggies fruit and meat were the only affordable options. I got accused of being a "holly housewife" by friends and family for making stuff from scratch, but really that's the only way we could afford to live!! My kids don't balk at all to eat broccoli, asparagus, quinoa (one time in Costco, my 4 year old shouted out - "mommy - get some brussel sprouts" Another older mom gave me an impressed look and I felt like super mama of the year!! lol)

It may take time to get the kiddos switched over to whole healthy food - btu it's SO worth the battle in the beginning they will have great health later on! OH and in the summer I take the kiddos to the farmers market - the farmers LOVE to tell kids all about how veggies grow and the kids pick out their fav cucumbers, tomatoes etc and they're so excited to eat it at home!!
  • DefinatelyDead
    Options
    This is great.

We dont have processed foods in the house as they make me ill. Everything is from scratch and most of the time we buy our food from local butchers and foods from either the local green grocers or the organic food company riverford.

I always have my veg plain or with gravy (which i know isnt the best).