How to enjoy foods you don't enjoy right now...

Options
I have been stuffing fish down my face waiting for the day that it does not make me gag...
Any tips on how you learn to enjoy foods you dont like, but are great for you?

Replies

• pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I add extra ingredients which tend to alter the taste completely.
    (i.e I don't eat fish without lemon spritzed on it!)
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Why would you eat something you don't like?
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I really would not eat fods that I don't like. There are so many foods out there that you can eat. You could really eat anything as long as you watch portions.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have been stuffing fish down my face waiting for the day that it does not make me gag...
    Any tips on how you learn to enjoy foods you dont like, but are great for you?
    How about not eating the food. Let me guess, you're doing cause it's "healthy"?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to harsh on the OP, but I really don't understand why people force themselves to eat things they don't like? Surely there is another source of whatever vitamin/ mineral/ whatever benefits they think they are gaining from eating that food.

Don't eat what you don't like!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    No, I tried the fish thing for a few months....DONE!
    I eat whatever - so long as it fits into my calorie goals, fiber count and macro balance.
    And some days this means I must get out and exercise more to offset the fabulous foods I love.
    The keys are moderation and perseverance.
    Life is to be lived....
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    To all the people saying, "Don't eat things you don't like, DUH!" I have something to say.

I HATED veggies my whole life. It's only now at 36 that I eat them. AND I LOVE THEM!
    I can't get enough of them, I swear!

It's ALL because I ate them when I "didn't like" them. Cutting way back on sugar and refined grains helped, too. I think it changed my palate quite a bit.
    I ask for seconds on broccoli (my most hated veggie) now and my boyfriend says, "Who ARE you?!" because it's so shocking.

Sure, there are still some things I don't like (peppers, belch) but they are few and far between. I had to change my whole mindset. I was SO picky before and now I say, "yes" to trying any new veggie or fruit I see.

So my advice is make the food you are trying to like more palatable by cooking it with things you DO like (mashed sweet potatoes near my peas made me like them a lot!), cut back on things like refined grains and sugars, try many new things (different types of fish, maybe?) and make sure they are all FRESH. That helped me a lot. Canned peas are disgusting to me still but fresh peas? Heaven on a plate.

Good luck!
  • AbbyLynne2246
    Options
    Not that it is any of your business, but the reason I am eating a food I don't like is because I have Crohn's Disease which severely limits my food choices. Fish has been proven to help the intestinal lining absorb more nutrients, and since I am so mal-nourished that is something I am interested in. My goodness the judgement I just got from some of these replies is staggering.

Thanks very much to the people answering my question.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Not that it is any of your business, but the reason I am eating a food I don't like is because I have Crohn's Disease which severely limits my food choices. Fish has been proven to help the intestinal lining absorb more nutrients, and since I am so mal-nourished that is something I am interested in. My goodness the judgement I just got from some of these replies is staggering.

Medical conditions are a game changer.
    Thanks for sharing this. Life can deal some bad hands, and so we must face these realities.
    What separates a winner from a loser is how a he or she reacts to each new twist of fate.
    You're doing GREAT! :flowerforyou:
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Well... when you post on a forum asking for advice you do sort of make it other people's 'business' as you so eloquently put it. I don't think anyone was coming down on you too harshly at all, just that people are wondering why you would force yourself to eat food you don't like. Perhaps including that you have a medical reason for it would have been smart to do right off the bat.

To answer your question, I think it depends on what sort of fish you are eating; what do you usually have? Some fish is VERY 'fishy' such as salmon, and can be hard to cover up. Some fish like Tilapia is very mild and doesn't have much of a fishy taste to it at all.

I would recommend Tilapia or Pollock if you can get it, and season it up with lemon and dill, or perhaps mix up some soy, garlic and ginger and marinade it in that before cooking. I also like the soy/ginger marinade for shrimp.
  • DeirdreMum8
    Options
    Yup, in the sauce or the way you make it. I made BBQ white fish and even my pre teen boys loved it. I happen to love fish but the sauces make it! Lemon & fresh pepper, mango salsa, pesto...get creative with tastes you like and add it to the fish. Also, if you don't care for the fish maybe figure out what bugs you (texture, smell and so on) and find types that are more mild.

Good luck! ~
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes, good addition nursinglucy! Salsa is great with mild types of fish (the fruity variety especially). Bury that fish in some corn tortillas with some salsa, shredded cabbage, salsa, cilantro and lime... nom nom nom!
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Try preparing it different ways or try different kinds of fish. I don't know if you are limited as to what fish you can eat, but I was never a big fish eater because I hated that fishy smell. However I recently tried fish like cod, haddock and tilapia where they don't have much of a flavor on their own or smell too fishy. So whatever you use to season them is where the flavor comes from. Personally I like lemon, lemon grass, or sweetness added to my fish.
  • AbbyLynne2246
    Options
    Salsa is a great idea. I'm not sure what bothers me so much about fish. I think it's the texture of it. But tilapia doesn't really have that chewy mushroom like texture, and I still have trouble with it.
    I will be trying the salsa though!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

No your lack of information is mind boggling. What did you honestly expect?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You can change your taste over time, but there will always be some things (healthy or not) that you just can't make yourself like. For me, it is oatmeal and bananas. I've given both more than a fair shot, more than once. I still hate them.

With fish, which is a pretty broad category, I'd give suggest trying many different kinds of fish prepared many different ways. I always find it hard to believe that someone doesn't like every type of fish. There are just so many different tastes and textures.

But fish is not necessary to be healthy. If you really don't like it, don't eat it.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, I think it depends on what sort of fish you are eating; what do you usually have? Some fish is VERY 'fishy' such as salmon, and can be hard to cover up. Some fish like Tilapia is very mild and doesn't have much of a fishy taste to it at all.

I would recommend Tilapia or Pollock if you can get it, and season it up with lemon and dill, or perhaps mix up some soy, garlic and ginger and marinade it in that before cooking. I also like the soy/ginger marinade for shrimp.

Try Orange Roughy too.... it's a mild fish
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Salsa is a great idea. I'm not sure what bothers me so much about fish. I think it's the texture of it. But tilapia doesn't really have that chewy mushroom like texture, and I still have trouble with it.
    I will be trying the salsa though!

I can't think of any fish that should have a 'chewy mushroom like texture'. It sounds like you may be overcooking the fish. Overcooking wil make fish chewy and give it a 'fishier' taste.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why would you eat something you don't like?

^^^

It's not something that I would ever do. For every food I don't like, there's a food that I enjoy eating that would provide me with the same nutrients.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

My husband has Crohn's disease. He never eats food that he doesn't like. js