Crockpot - cooking for one

Options
loserbaby84
loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
I live alone and own a crockpot. My parents thought I'd actually use the thing ... as a novice cook I don't usually try things outta the norm for fear of failure, loss of time and not to mentioned unedible food!!

Hoping someone would be nice enough to share some tips and/or recipes with me. Keep in mind I'm the only one in my household so portions need to be small or product must be freezer friendly!

Also, typically low maintenance .. so, if possible "from frozen" recipes highly encouraged annndd if I can put it on low when I leave to go to work to come home to a nice dinner that would be a bonus too!!

Cheers :)

Replies

• ktwest2107
    ktwest2107 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    There are alot of really great recipes for the crockpot. Look at gourmetpantry.com and skinnytaste.com. You can always half the recipes if you don't want to freeze them :)
  • carolerosenthal
    Options
    Hi! I just had lapband surgery so I can't eat this yet, but my husband loves this. It is easily freezable (get containers @ Dollar Tree).

2-3 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken thighs
    1 evelope dry onion soup
    1 can whole cranberry sauce
    1 bottle Lite Catalina dressing

1 Reynolds Crock pot liner

Put liner in and then put in ingredients in this order

Cleaned chicken
    onion soup (evenly poured over chicken)
    Cranberry Sauce - break up as putting it in
    Dressing - pour over entire food

Cook 2-3 hours on low.

7-8 points on Weight Watchers

Can do the same w/legs - and can make Hawaain Chix - only substitute canned yams (sweet potatoes - drained)
    & chunk pineapple (drained-own juice)
    Cook about 3-4 hours)

Hope this helps.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I don't have any crockpot specific recipes, but some things I've made that 1) cook up well in the crockpot and 2) freeze well are:

Chili
    Chicken - you can season any way you like and it shreds up beautifully once cooked. I've put oj from concentrate on it or seasoned it to use in taco salads
    Any soups or stews
    Pot roast and veggies

If you find a recipe you like, try it out in the crockpot. Unless it's something that's breaded or sauteed, it will probably cook up nicely.
  • JDelphiki
    JDelphiki Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Feels like i have posted this a lot the last couple days but:

2 frozen boneless skinless chicken breast
    A bottle of Itallian dressing (enough to cover the chicken)
    A handful of baby carrots, or peeled potatoes. (you dont need this, but it is a nice side)

Put it on low for 8-9 hours enjoy when you get home from work.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of those twist-lock ziploc containers, so I just make a lot.
  • LaceyCwell
    Options
    skinnytaste.com

They have amazing recipes for crock pots and everyday cooking as well! I love my crock pot!
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    you ca throw in chicken, carrots (or whateer veggie) season well and come home to a dinner already done! sometimes I'll thicken the broth a little and server over brown rice or something. awesome. You can cook anything in it and it doesn't have to be thawed. I've even baked potatoes in one.
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Crock pots are almost as awesome as pressure cookers. There are a ton of good recipes out there, but one of my favorites is from Alton Brown. Crock pot steel cut oats. Just throw the ingredients in the pot before going to bed and get up to a tasty breakfast.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/overnight-oatmeal-recipe/index.html

Other than that, chili, chicken, beans, pot roast, pork tenderloin all lend themselves quite well to the crock pot. And you have plenty of leftovers for the rest of the week.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    What I do.

Go to the grocery, and just pick out stuff.
    Typically I'll get Kale, carrots, peppers, parsnips, potatoes, anything really.
    I'll stop at the frozen veggie isle and get some brussle sprouts or anything that looks ok or on sale.

I'll wash and chop them up and put it in the crockpot. with some water. I'll toss in some pepper or red pepper flakes.

Now I'll also add a 1/2 cup or so of dried back beans or a chicken cutlet and just throw it in. Let it cook for 5 hours.

Get some plastic containers and make about 3 meals worth of stuff that I can just microwave. This doesn't' have awesome refined taste, but this is for body fuel, you want good taste go to taco bell or something. This is war peacock!
  • ausfgrad
    ausfgrad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also cook for one. One of my favorite and easy recipes is to cut carrots, onion, and potato (i only use 1) or any other root veggie into chunks. Put it on the the bottom of your crock pot. Put two chicken breast on top. Sprinkle with whatever seasoning you like. I use a little salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Add about 1 inch of water and cook on low for 8 hrs. It's delicious! I then use some of the broth at the bottom of the pot to make brown rice (hence only 1 potato). Enjoy!
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I eat alone frequently too and not overly fond of cooking or spending a lot of time in the kitchen. These are 2 of my favorites and can definitely be thrown in before work, set on low and will be done when you get home.

Chicken:
    Throw 2-4 breasts in frozen, dump a can or two of cream of chicken soup, add half a cup of water. The end. You can eat just this or put it over mashed potatoes or rice either one if you like.

Pork:
    Throw in a pork roast. Add potatoes and/or carrots. Cover with water. Sprinkle with onion powder and garlic. The end. Bonus: If you want something different with leftovers, shred the leftover pork and add bbq sauce and have pulled pork sandwiches the next day :smile:
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've got chicken in my crockpot right now. I love to do big batches and then freeze daily portions. I have to admit that I have a big family - 5 boys, 6 if you count my husband! - so the crockpot is a life saver for busy nights. But I love having smaller portions from leftovers ready to go for me, too. My favorite is super easy: 4-6 chicken breasts, a can of mexican tomatoes (ie Rotel tomatoes) and a package of taco seasoning. Cook it all day, and it will shred easily. I use the chicken for tacos, enchiladas, or on salads. I love to double or even triple this and use it for multiple meals. It makes dinner time so much easier when the ingredients are just ready to go. Good luck!
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    All these sound so good! Is there a trick to how much liquid you have to put into the pot with your meat?? Sorry, i really have no idea what I'm doing here, lol!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just had lapband surgery so I can't eat this yet, but my husband loves this. It is easily freezable (get containers @ Dollar Tree).

2-3 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken thighs
    1 evelope dry onion soup
    1 can whole cranberry sauce
    1 bottle Lite Catalina dressing

1 Reynolds Crock pot liner

Put liner in and then put in ingredients in this order

Cleaned chicken
    onion soup (evenly poured over chicken)
    Cranberry Sauce - break up as putting it in
    Dressing - pour over entire food

Cook 2-3 hours on low.

7-8 points on Weight Watchers

Can do the same w/legs - and can make Hawaain Chix - only substitute canned yams (sweet potatoes - drained)
    & chunk pineapple (drained-own juice)
    Cook about 3-4 hours)

Hope this helps.

Now THAT'S a different one! Sounds amazing!
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm eating on cream cheese chicken chili this week. And I have one of the smallest crock pots ever, so this following recipe will definitely fit.

3 chicken breasts (technically 2-4 but I use three as that's the amount in the package fresh, can also use frozen)
    1 pkg ranch dressing mix
    1 can corn, undrained
    1 can diced tomatoes & green chiles, undrained
    1 can black beans, rinsed
    1 Tbsp chile powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 8 oz brick cream cheese

Lay chicken in bottom. Add corn and tomatoes undrained on top. Drain and rinse black beans and then add. Add spices and mix. Lay cream cheese on top. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Mix cream cheese in and shred chicken. Yield: 7-8 servings (which are regular sized bowlfuls)

I calculated the calories for this based on 6 bowlfuls and it came out to 320 calories per serving, however I have some left over so I think it is actually making 7-8. I'll have to readjust. Also this recipe has enough liquid in it already that you don't need to add more. In general you need maybe an inch or two space at the top of the crock pot - so don't fill it up all the way!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I use my crockpot often to make big stews and the like. I like it primarily because I can come home and dinner is already made and I don't have to worry about it. Most of the stuff I make freezes just fine...I cook for two, but I also used it when I was solo and just freeze batches of everything for lunches and dinners where I don't feel like preparing anything. Try eatingwell.com and cookinglight.com amongst other healthy recipe sites and they always have a ton of crockpot type recipes.

It's also good for cooking roasts when you don't want to sit there watching the oven for hours.