Treadmill vs. Walking Outside?

Options
Which do you prefer, walking on the treadmill or walking outside? I personally have found that I enjoy walking outside much more and it really doesn't feel like a chore to do it. The only downside is that I really don't know how fast I'm going or what the incline is and stuff like that, you just have to try to gauge it yourself. So what works best for you and why?

Replies

• AussieTrainer
    Options
    I like to walk outside; I like to go to some place pretty like the park. The nature trails are my favorite. It's a very peaceful way to exercise; plus I don't get bored like I do on the treadmill. :)
  • sparkerwallace
    sparkerwallace Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You might try getting yourself a Garmin or something to track your speed and distance. I don't know if they can track incline, but I bet there's something out there that can.

Personally, I love walking and running outside more for the fresh air and being in nature, but sometimes it's cold and the treadmill is really the best option.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I prefer walking outside, but I don't push myself hard enough when I'm outside. On the treadmill, it forces me to put forth a little extra. So I walk outside for pleasure and relaxation and walk on the treadmill for cardio.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I recommend both Endomondo (an app for your Phone) and getting a Fitbit. Endomondo will help with the Distance and speed and you can choose to have it "train" you so it helps you know when you have walked a mile and how fast, as well as compare it to last time.

The Fitbit will track your steps, Millage, Calories and Elevation you have climbed. I use mine the whole day and found I am hitting about 15,000 steps a day. This keeps me on track for my daily goals.

I really enjoy walking outside, it helps with stress relief and I do it in all kinds of weather (except ice).
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Treadmill...or as I say..."dreadmill"....just beat me with a stick!
    Seriously, I need to get out. I just can't work well on those machines....:noway:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I prefer to just walk into Mordor
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    One does not simply walk into Mordor!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Definitely walking outside. I live in a city where there are so many interesting things to see, and walking has an actual purpose here (it gets me to work, to fitness classes, to the grocery store, etc).
  • magicherry
    magicherry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Zoey - Yup, the biggest downside to outside is not knowing how fast you are going.

I live in New England so it is now officially treadmill season. The first week I started using it I felt THE BURN because I was def walking much faster than I was outside.

My outside route is 3.1 miles and I would do that in 50-60 minutes. Inside on the treadmill is do 45 minutes at an incline (moving from level 3 to 4 this week) at 3.6 pace. I def feel the burn!

I have tried pedometers and such, but it is really tough to maintain a consistent pace outside.
  • Rix06
    Rix06 Posts: 25
    Options
  • navywifeandmomof4
    navywifeandmomof4 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I love walking outside cause sometimes my kids will go walking with me.walking and spending time with them i can't get on the treadmill.treadmill i only use when the weather is bad outside.
  • DestineyHope
    Options
    i like walking ouside, i go for my walk early in the morning at 4:30am , here in Barbados there are lots of people walking on the roads at 4am
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I prefer walking / jogging outside. Treadmill or any other machine is just too boring for me.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    During the summer - I live in CT, work in RI - I often walk outside for about 1.5 miles at lunch. If I walk during the winter - at least on the cold days, or even if it rains in the summer - I use the treadmill here at work.

All things being equal, I prefer to walk outside. But I'm happy that I have the option of a treadmill, should I want it.
  • Itsallbs15
    Itsallbs15 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I like alternating. I walk 2 miles outside a day just to commute to work so in the evenings I like to use the treadmill and keep track of my speed and incline. Also, it is cold outside when I get home from work and I'm a sissy!!! When it gets warmer I will map out a 1-3 walking route which I will be able to gauge my speed by the time it takes me. I know my dogs will enjoy that!!!
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I walk and run outside. Even living in PA where its cold and snowy for months. Treadmills are so boring.
  • jrback
    jrback Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would much rather walk outside but living in Minnesota that is nearly impossible in the winter! I use the treadmill and elliptical during winter months. Not as enjoyable, but at least it's better than nothing! :)
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Here in the frozen north, this season is either treadmill or mall walking season - unless you want to freeze off body parts or slip and kill yourself on the ice. Or break trail in the snow. (Has anyone ever calculated the extra burn for breaking trail in 30 cm of snow?)

Layering clothes and wearing mitts and a hat won't get you that far at -27 C (especially with a wind chill). And it feels awful when the membranes in your nose freeze.....

That being said, outside walking is definitely best - less boring and feels less like a chore and more like recreation.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Both for different reasons. I walk faster outside but I can be entertained a lot easier inside.

Try using a phone app if you have a smartphone. Endomondo, mapmyfitness, runkeeper all will tell you how far and show elevations. They also show your route so if the GPS screwed up you can fix it for a more acurate average. I had my app tell me I ran through houses, ran in circles and in to the creek :/ it had added an extra half mile to my run! LOL