tattoo and Workplace

Options
2»

Replies

• surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    As a lawyer with a tat, I strongly encourage you to think about another location. It will be frowned upon, even if it shouldn't be.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    As a lawyer with a tat, I strongly encourage you to think about another location. It will be frowned upon, even if it shouldn't be.

Well said. We are a long way away from tptal acceptance and not prejudging when it comes to tatoos.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Having a close female friend who is a lawyer, I hear all to often of judges making comments in open court about women not looking professional enough. Pant suit, not acceptable, must be long skirt before you enter my courtroom-kind of comments. I'd consider your torso.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Having a close female friend who is a lawyer, I hear all to often of judges making comments in open court about women not looking professional enough. Pant suit, not acceptable, must be long skirt before you enter my courtroom-kind of comments. I'd consider your torso.

There's a company in my area that the women are not allowed to wear pants unless it is a actual pant suit, not separates even. Most women there just walk around in pencil skirts and twin sets with pearls. It's like you stepped back into the sixties!
  • fauxdetresse
    Options
    i'm a big tattoo person (over $2000 worth), so i'm careful where i put mine. the only one that is usually visible is a tiny one on my wrist that i cover with a bracelet, though they cover my shoulder, stomach, leg, etc. being professional is important.
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with everyone on here about finding another place. Even if you don't think about work, you don't want the stigma that comes along with having something like that. Purposely putting yourself in the position to be discriminated against and treated differently than everyone else is probably something you want to think about. I have a few tattoos, but I always make sure to put them in places that can be hidden when i want, and shown when i want.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty large tattoo on my forearm, which I got after I left the "professional" environment. I know Kat Von D now makes a cover up for tats - although I haven't tried it myself.
    I think if you are set on getting the tattoo in that spot, and as far as I know lawyers always wear sleeves - you should be safe. Tats are becoming more and more mainstream and it wouldn't surprise me if Judge X has one too.
  • dachinababe
    dachinababe Posts: 185
    Options
    WOW, Thank you all so much for the feed back. I am a serious career oriented person, even though this tattoo has really significant meaning for me but its not something I want to explain to my clients over and over again...Now I'm not sure where else (on my body) I can get the tattoo because I'm gettting a third tattoo ( one of my favorite quote )on my torso in August when I have a flat abs. I already have a tat behind my neck, I feel like it would over crowd my back if i add another one to my shoulder blade. What do you all think about upper inside arm, like around the inside bicept? Would that be better in a more artisitic sense?
    Ps. Love that so many of you love tats as much as I do (probably more than I do) :D
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    The inside bicep is going to be VERY sensitive, so be prepared for that to hurt like a mo-fo.
  • dachinababe
    dachinababe Posts: 185
    Options
    Oh goodie..I always pick the worse place to get a tat don't I lol.. Got my first one on the back of my neck, i was about to cry lmao..I think I'll be okay with this one since I broke my collarbone, my ribs and my finger in the last year...