How do you guys do it!?

Options
Okay, I have been apart of mfp for a year now. I have had a 1000 calorie defect since last Dec. I am so used to eating 1350 and around that. Now I feel like its time to build some muscle. I still have some love handles, but I can feel my hip BONE! It actually sticks out. So I am concluding that I am just a wide hipped person. I have been doing a lot of core exercises to see if I can tone up the stomach region and pull the excess fat a little bit closer in. Plus having muscle, helps to burn...

My question is, HOW do you go from eating with no salts, butters, sodas, chips, etc.., to a caloric surplus in order to gain muscle. It says I need to go from 1350 to 2500!!! That is a huge increase. Now that is just for 1/2 lb a week gain.

Also, how can I make 100% sure that this 1/2 gain a week is muscle and not fat? If there is soreness from working out, then those calories and protein are gonna work on that area right? *please forgive the ignorance*

What type of foods did you guys incorporate as extras to your diet it order to reach that high goal. I feel like the only way to reach that is to indulge in sweets! I have switched my diet to 3 eggs in the am with milk. Lunch is tuna, 35g worth of protein. A snack about 2 hours after lunch is greek yogurt. Dinner is Tilipa with vegetables. So i will be getting loads of protein, but what should I include in this to add GOOD calories.

Thanks so much for any feedback received!

photo_zps3e17a5c6.jpg

Replies

• Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You food diary is incomplete, not sure anybody can help with the lack of diet info.
  • barger01
    barger01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You don't have to add salt, butter, soda, or chips to eat calorie dense foods. There are plenty of healthy choices that are high calorie, such as nuts, avocado, and olive oil. All good for you, but all high calorie. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to those veggies and you'll have an instant calorie boost.

Also, you aren't going to be able to gain pure muscle. Some of that surplus will be in fat, which is why many people do a bulking/cutting routine. Spend time gaining the muscle, then cut to eliminate the extra fat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if i was you i would get to maintenance first, and then figure out how much extra you need to bulk. 1350 is VERY low for a guy to start with, so get your body used ot maintaining for a bit before you jump straight to bulking.

add 100 cals per week till you get to around 2000 and see if you are still losing then. you dont have to eat 'bad' thinks just to up your cals. just add stuff like nuts, peanut butter, cheese, boiled eggs for snacks and bigger portions of what you already eat now.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You man up and eat some food Jr! When I switched from cutting to bulking, I went from 2k to 4k per day. If you have a hard time, get some Ben and Jerry's Chubby Hubby.
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    A few things

It is very difficult (but not impossible) to bulk up with out gaining a little fat. You just need to gain mostly muscle and then it is pretty easy to trim the fat off.

Buy a few different flavors and types of quality protein powder. It is a fantastic way to add in clean calories.
    I put 1/2 scoop of vanilla powder on my cereal in the morning,
    I put most of a scoop of vanilla powder into my plain fage greek yogurt (with berries) for an after lunch treat
    I add plain unflavored egg white protein powder to things like pad thai, kung pow chicken ...
    The protein shots / shakes will also get you quite a bit of calories, and not make you feel terribly full.

A good sized portion of salmon or tuna has a lot of calories but is quite healthy for you to eat.

Bulking with out peanut butter is insanity :D

Also olive oil will add calories to almost any meal. It is a healthy fat, just make sure you stay below ~20% for fats overall.

I don't have a problem eating food so I have never tried this stuff. But at 850 calories per serving products such as this http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4396596 may help you put on some clean mass
  • barger01
    Options
    Lmao. Thanks! Will do Sr!
  • barger01
    Options
    A few things

It is very difficult (but not impossible) to bulk up with out gaining a little fat. You just need to gain mostly muscle and then it is pretty easy to trim the fat off.

Buy a few different flavors and types of quality protein powder. It is a fantastic way to add in clean calories.
    I put 1/2 scoop of vanilla powder on my cereal in the morning,
    I put most of a scoop of vanilla powder into my plain fage greek yogurt (with berries) for an after lunch treat
    I add plain unflavored egg white protein powder to things like pad thai, kung pow chicken ...
    The protein shots / shakes will also get you quite a bit of calories, and not make you feel terribly full.

A good sized portion of salmon or tuna has a lot of calories but is quite healthy for you to eat.

Bulking with out peanut butter is insanity :D

Also olive oil will add calories to almost any meal. It is a healthy fat, just make sure you stay below ~20% for fats overall.

I don't have a problem eating food so I have never tried this stuff. But at 850 calories per serving products such as this http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4396596 may help you put on some clean mass

Thanks for this awesome feedback. I will look into incorporating some peanut butter and powders into the diet. It just sucks wasting a year loosing 70 pounds and going back to eating so much calories to loose weight. I feel like I am only 30% there. When I used to feel I was around 80%