Does it matter if my protein is high?

Hi I am new to this so sorry if it's a silly question.

I have been dieting a week and while I am managing to stick to my net calories I have noticed that my protein is always high. I think it's because I find that things like chicken and cottage cheese and low fat yoghurt fill me up and I really like them. If I am hungry and fancy a snack I tend to go for cottage cheese or a yoghurt.
I do snack on fruit and nairn's oatcakes too but they just don't fill me up as well.

Do I need to worry about this?

I am worried that if I try and decrease my protein intake I will end up going overboard on my calories because I am too hungry.

Replies

• fihealth
    fihealth Posts: 165 Member
    By how many calories are you exceeding your daily recommended intake of protein?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Loads of threads on this: MFP is a minimum not a maximum for protein. You can alter the macro percentages if you go to My Home, Settings.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    It's all good to exceed your protein as long as its not absolutely huge amounts..lots of protein is good, as you've found out..it keeps you fuller for longer.
    I go over protein by 50-60% sometimes.
  • kayobracey
    kayobracey Posts: 43 Member
    you're ok. Protein will actually help you burn fat.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    MFP sets it's protein levels too low anyways.....going over is usually never a problem.
    Google macros for protein and look at a few different sites....you'll see much higher recomendations.....
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    How?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    In most cases, no it doesn't matter. In most cases, it's actually a good thing.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member

I've never heard that one.....
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Oh good, thanks for taking the time to answer me.

I will continue to snack on cottage cheese :-)
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    No, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you are actually measuring things instead of guesstimating. No research support to back things up, but I found once I did start measuring, that I was off more on such nutritionally dense high protein foods than I was with high carb foods.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    My answer is no, it's ok that your protein is a little high, You are right it will keep you fuller longer, and keep you from going over board on other things like carbs.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    protein is good. just make sure u are gettin some exercise! :)
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    I'm another newbie* and have the same question re: "excessive" protein and also fiber amounts - I'm off the charts! MFP's fiber amounts seem low, and recent info I've read on plant-based diets state that 25-30 is the ideal # for women. Extended periods of too much protein can leach calcium from your system, but I'm not sure for how long or how much is too much.My fat amounts are also extremely low...not sure what %'s are correct for my age and current health state in order to lose weight.

Getting healthy is so complicated!

*I joined MFP in August, but didn't really get started until last week for my new year's "evolution"
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    I'm another newbie* and have the same question re: "excessive" protein and also fiber amounts - I'm off the charts! MFP's fiber amounts seem low, and recent info I've read on plant-based diets state that 25-30 is the ideal # for women. Extended periods of too much protein can leach calcium from your system, but I'm not sure for how long or how much is too much.My fat amounts are also extremely low...not sure what %'s are correct for my age and current health state in order to lose weight.

Getting healthy is so complicated!

*I joined MFP in August, but didn't really get started until last week for my new year's "evolution"

I'll agree, the fiber thing on here is too low, mostly because we are dealing with calorie deficit plans that simply scale things down, so fiber gets scaled down too as a result. You can go into your goals or settings section (can't remember which) and manually change these if you would like. As for "too much" fiber, honestly I have difficulty with the concept, but in general, that ones is pretty clear, your gastrointestinal system will likely let you know when enough is enough. But what do you mean by too low for fats? You do need some healthy fats in your diet.
  • I have just had lap band surgery 12/20 and the follow-up diet is heavily protein oriented; Actually, when I go on "real" food, it will also be high in protein, meat, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, etc. No sugar or carbs. I do a protein shake mid-day and evening snack which is also high in protein. It sounds to me like a very similar regiment such as Atkins which a lot of people lose on.
    Check w/ your doctor to see what he/she recommends.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    You can customize your macro requirements through MFP. I used the information from this post to calculate how much protein and fat I should be eating based on my weight. Now, I don't usually go over.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    How?

When you don't watch steak closely enough and you end up lighting the stove on fire and throw water on it but it's a grease fire so that just makes it splash around and before you know it your shirt is ablaze and you end up at the hospital with 2nd degree burns.

Burned fat.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    I eat 1 gram per pound body weight.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Does it matter if my protein is high?
    Naw. Just roll with it, sister.

5b241h-210x158-bg.jpg
  • glbragg
    glbragg Posts: 77 Member
    Increasing protein intake will increase your metabolism and help to maintain your muscle mass, all of which helps with fat burning. In fact, your body burns more calories when you eat protein than when you digest either fats or carbs.