Eating Healthy at a Restaurant - HELP

Options
I have only been on this website for about a week and I think the biggest problem I have is eating out. I try very hard to go food shopping and cook my own meals but sometimes this is not possible. I did find a couple restaurants around me with low calorie menus, Applebee's and Chili’s. But I'm having trouble finding any others. I'm wondering if anyone in my area (Massachusetts or New England) can inform me of any other restaurants with low cal menus. I'm also open to any meal suggestions or alterations that could be helpful in a restaurant with no low cal menu. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Buy a slow cooker/ crock pot and freeze your own microwave meals, then it's always possible to eat homecooked food.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat everything on the plate. Eat 1/2 (or less?) and take the rest home for lunches, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    IMO a few good rules of thumb for lower calories while eating in a restaurant are:

-- order a lean meat (small grilled steak, chicken breast or fish) and a couple of veggie sides.
    -- skip anything breaded or fried, or with a sweet sauce/glaze.
    -- If one of the sides is a salad, order a vinaigrette dressing on the side so you can control the amount.
    -- avoid sugary drinks.

There are very few restaurants that won't have at least one option that fits.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Ask to substitute things, get extra steamed vegetables instead of potatoes, ask for sauces and dressing on the side, etc...
  • JacquiDawn
    Options
    Why don't you try and exercise a little bit more in the day so that then you can have a slightly more calorific meal, but one that you have earned?

My theory is that if I eat healthily at home, and do the right amount of exercise, then I'll allow myself to have what I want for that one meal, as a treat.

Just make sure not to over indulge in three courses or with lots of booze!
  • Missellaneous02
    Missellaneous02 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Good theory, but at this point I'm just starting out, and I know that if I allow myself any little treat I'll end up over doing it haha. I do plan to add in some excercise but I'm trying to concentrate on one thing at a time right now so I don't put too much pressure on myself. Trying to give up one vice at a time I guess :happy:
  • attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Eating out is a big struggle for me, too. If I know I am going to a restaurant in advance, I plan my calories and exercise for the day so I can afford to splurge a little and get something like french fries!

At diner type places, chicken salad or egg salad sandwiches on wheat bread aren't too bad. Skip the french fries and get a veggie if possible, or just skip the side altogether.

This website shows the 25 lowest calorie restaurant meals, all at big chain places: http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2011/01/19/healthiest-restaurant-meals.html#slide1 so maybe that will help you out, too!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    be VERY skeptical of the "low calorie" menu at restaurants. Most of them are garbage - especially at places like Applebees and Chilis. The menu items typically are not healthy even though they may be lower calorie. Additionally, they are totally dependent on the chef that day. The restaurant compete on low cal menus, so the corporate nutrition guide give you the best case scenario, while the chef just wants to fix it the way he always does (not low cal).

Best bet eating out: go for the lean meats, whole vegetables, salads, etc. Avoid sauces, soups, anything you can't identify exactly what is there. If you do this, you can estimate the calories on your own using the generic USDA food entries and get better results.

I will say that the Panera's around here are typically VERY good at their calorie content, but they just tend to be healthier, not really a "low cal" menu.
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Restaurants always give a huge portion. Ask for a to go box before your meal gets there and put half in it. And when I know i'm going out to eat i usually spend half an hour checking out the nutritional menu online and find what I can have. I love Chili's, so I've been getting the 6 oz sirlion with a salad, no potato and no veggie. Not a bad meal, and salads always fill me up!

edited for spelling because I'm a dork like that :)
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Salad with grilled chicken, fish or steak; without a lot of cheese or fried doo-dads added in. Get whatever dressing or oil & vinegar on the side and add a small amount. I can't think of any restaurant that doesn't serve that.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Lots of good advise so far. It is a minefield, but with a little knowledge, you can successfully navigate restaurant food. Especially agree to watch portion sizes, stick with lean meat, fish, or chicken. Ask for steamed vegetables instead of french fries. Bread, muffins, rolls, chips and other freebies should be eaten only in moderation, or avoided entirely. Stay away from anything deep fried or breaded, especially high calorie fried appetizers (blooming onion, fried cheese sticks, loaded potatoes, chicken wings, etc..)

When ordering soups, stick with soups that are mostly broth. Watch out for any soup that is cream based or covered in melted cheese.

When ordering salads, watch the creamy dressings, croutons, and other high fat toppings some restaurants load up on.

If eating Italian food, watch the portions of pasta, and stick with red sauce. Careful with the pesto, carbonara and especially Alfredo. And stay away from any dish that is deep fried and/or covered with cheese.

Chinese food. Watch out for both deep fried and sauces. Lots of fat is often in sauces in Chinese food. When in doubt, ask. A lot of Chinese restaurants can make lower fat versions of familiar favorites. And, watch the deep fried egg rolls and eat rice in moderation

Thai - Coconut milk is loaded with fat. Eat in moderation, or order a soup or main course without it.

Indian - Sauces in lots of Indian dishes are loaded with butter. Stick with less saucy options like Tandoori Chicken or Seafood.

Mexican - Watch the chips. Avoid Nachos. Guacamole is healthy but high in fat. So eat just a little or not at all. Chicken fajitas or fish tacos arent bad choices. Just be careful how many tortillas you eat.

Alcohol - Carefull with those high calorie mixed drinks. Many are loaded with sugar. If you partake, drink in moderation or better yet, not at all. I will occasionally (like once every 2 or 3 weeks) indulge in a craft beer. A little high in calories, but one every few weeks won't sink my diet.