Gym-goers: The Resolutioner Apocalypse is Nigh Upon Us!

Options

Replies

• tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I didn't start as a January resolutioner, but an August one. Over a year later I'm still there... but haven't hit the weight room. I plan to do that this year - so even people who've been at your gym a long time might decide to try something new and need help or at least time to become awesome.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    screw the gym. Buy some running sneakers, or a bike, or some resistance bands, and go to town in your living room/ outdoor area, etc.
    http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/no-gym-no-excuses-workout
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Ohhh good...one of THESE threads again...

Well, it's that time of year again...

...the time of year for THESE threads.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Keep up the excuses and prejudices...rather than slander, albeit somewhat jokingly, why not offer some help...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    How many times did you try and fail before sticking to a workout regime? heh
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    For this reason I am very thankful for my apartment community's gym, and the fact that not many of the residents use it - despite the complex I live in being pretty large. :P
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Yay! My gym wasn't crowded at all tonight! Might be the last time it's like that for awhile, so I enjoyed it.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Wow, just noticed this thread was going anywhere.

And I see that almost everyone misunderstood the point. And no time was I speaking of noobies. I love new folks! I'm anxious to help out newbies that wanna improve! In fact, I've already helped out a couple this past week. And of course I recognize that I was new once! A resolutioner =/= a noob. Resolutioners are the masses (the 80%) that aren't taking it serious at all. I just find if kinda funny that SO many can flip from seemingly serious one day (Jan 1) to having virtually forgotten about their commitment a few days later. And those same less than committed types, at least at my gym, tend to be the ones hanging out in the squat racks doing crazy things on bosu balls and worrying about their hair for 45 minutes.

I went to the gym yesterday, and I can now see that about 20% of the crowd from Jan 2 is gone. That's what I find shocking.

Man, some of y'all really like take a thread, derail it, and come across as pricks!

But to end on a positive note, I give huge props to those that do start on Jan 1 and end up sticking around despite the crowds (in fact I think I already said that in my OP, but I doubt that'll get noticed, it's harder to slam OP that way).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

And I see that almost everyone misunderstood the point. And no time was I speaking of noobies. I love new folks! I'm anxious to help out newbies that wanna improve! In fact, I've already helped out a couple this past week. And of course I recognize that I was new once! A resolutioner =/= a noob. Resolutioners are the masses (the 80%) that aren't taking it serious at all. I just find if kinda funny that SO many can flip from seemingly serious one day (Jan 1) to having virtually forgotten about their commitment a few days later. And those same less than committed types, at least at my gym, tend to be the ones hanging out in the squat racks doing crazy things on bosu balls and worrying about their hair for 45 minutes.

I went to the gym yesterday, and I can now see that about 20% of the crowd from Jan 2 is gone. That's what I find shocking.

Man, some of y'all really like take a thread, derail it, and come across as pricks!

But to end on a positive note, I give huge props to those that do start on Jan 1 and end up sticking around despite the crowds (in fact I think I already said that in my OP, but I doubt that'll get noticed, it's harder to slam OP that way).

Yeah, two whole pages. This thread is blowin' up.
  • Biggoal50
    Biggoal50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I thought the post was funny :laugh: I didn't get any mean-spiritedness from it just more of an "ooooohhhhhhh man, it's that time of year again."

I've been a gym member for years but last January after my dh was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, we both became serious gym goers. I haven't lost any wieght but I'm in a lot better shape. I'm still super intimidated by the weights so in March I'm going to get 5 sessions with a personal trainer! Good luck to everyone!!!!
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Trample them.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Everybody has to start somewhere. I refuse to get all p*ssy about it

Actually I agree I like helping them...God I remember my first day I was terrified. It would have been nice for someone to come up and welcome me and ask me if I needed any help or had any questions. Someone to just say...."If you need anything just ask me if im around."

Im glad to help a newbie try and figure out where the power switches are for the Cybex bikes. Help someone out...it may be the difference in them being successful for the duration or just being a statistic
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

^^ This.

I've laughed at these threads since the 1st. It happens every year. No one is discouraging, it's stating fact.

Since when is it my job to encourage and make sure people come back. Can't I just go to the gym, stick my ear buds in, do my workout and go home?
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

^^ This.

I've laughed at these threads since the 1st. It happens every year. No one is discouraging, it's stating fact.

Since when is it my job to encourage and make sure people come back. Can't I just go to the gym, stick my ear buds in, do my workout and go home?

since when is it your job? Since you are a decent human being living in this world with others around you? Or you aren't?
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    come to my gym it's empty most of the time! apart from 6-7pm the rest of the time you can do what you want in there, no resolutioners taking my machines woohoo
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Makes you wonder how many resolutioners would stick to it if the regulars weren't such asshats towards them for the 4 weeks they try their hardest.

STFU
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    OP~>Get over yourself.
  • nbhobbes
    nbhobbes Posts: 284
    Options
    And this is why I don't do gyms, and why some people don't even bother trying. Congrats on yr ego.

I bet he is a member of Planet Fitness LOL Judgment Free Zone my *kitten*!!
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting to renew my gym membership next month. I've been waiting a while though, and definitely didn't want to be "one of them" lol
  • TattooedPinUpGal
    Options
    I will be focusing on my p90x workouts at home. ;D

.......................except for leg day on Fridays. That requires gym time.

And I hope no creepy guy that JUST started at the gym tries to give me pointers about how to do my damn squats.

Really........................I think I know what I am doing, dude.