Couch to 10k in one day

Options
billsica
billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
Yup..

Day 1: 10k - time 1:50:00

I have 3 more 10k races to do, once each Saturday for January. I've obviously haven't trained for this at all since early fall. I'm recovering fast, minus my Achilles tendons that take a day to stop hurting.
What would be the best course of action to get myself at least semi back into this. Run more, or try to hold back. I'm planning on doing 3 miles today, or should I try to push it.

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Your main goal is to keep recovering and not injure yourself further.

I'd walk/run it - use your weekday runs to find a ratio that you can do comfortably - say 3:2 - then if you feel good in the race you could always up it to 4:1. Then as you get to the second and third races if nothing twinges switch up to a minute walk every 10 minutes or every mile etc.
  • billsica
    Options
    I had to walk run it, but it was unplanned, always really the worst. I'm not able to wear headphones of how I normally do my intervals with my phone app.

1 mile run 1 min walk is how it was doing my long runs, so I'll have to do that at least for this next race.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Can you wear your phone without headphones? I'm assuming your using an app that is announcing your intervals.

You could always do it with a watch.

Edit: About the how far, how fast, only you can answer that. You need to do what feels good to your body. You know what happens if you push it to much. It will set you back and may sideline you.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Here is the link for Hal Higdons novice 10K training guide - although it is an 8 week program you may be able to adapt it a bit to help with this months planned 10Ks. Good luck :)

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program
  • 712chris
    Options
    Couch to 10k?? And a 10k every weekend for a month is just crazy. Your achilles hurting for days is already a huge sign to stop what you are doing. ATR Surgery will cost you 6-7k dollars WITH insurance. Plus 9-12 months of recovery time. I would reccomend looking up a good stretching routine and use the excercise bike to slowly build up to race ready
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Need some background here; have you've been running or doing intervals at all since the fall or did you just jump right in injury and all? Less is more when returning from an injury and recovering and you need to work your way back up. Going too hard too soon will lead to further disaster.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    10k is clearly beyond your capability (without harming yourself) at this time. It would be wiser to set some realistic goals based on where you are at the moment. However, if completing the 10k 'races' at any cost is what you want to do then knock yourself out.
  • billsica
    Options
    Ok, my title was a bit misleading.

before I stopped in the fall I was up to about 10 miles for my long run and 5 or 6miles for my other 2 runs a week,
    I've also put on +10 pounds since then too. I typically do 11 - 11.5 minute miles on my workouts.

Since September, I jumped right in stupidly and did the 10k without anything else. I didn't stop because of an injury in Sept. I stopped because I was not able to have time for it, due to family reasons, and not being able to take the kids out in jogging stroller when its cold.

I can't really work my way back up because I can't change the dates of the races.
  • billsica
    Options
    if completing the 10k 'races' at any cost is what you want to do then knock yourself out.

That's how I roll.
  • billsica
    Options
    Here is the link for Hal Higdons novice 10K training guide - although it is an 8 week program you may be able to adapt it a bit to help with this months planned 10Ks. Good luck :)

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program

Week 8 is what I'd be looking at then. So if I take this.

8 3 m run + strength 3 m run 5 x 400 5-K pace 1-3 m run Rest Rest 10-K Race

Monday 1 mile
    Tuesday 3 miles + strength
    Wed Intervals
    Thursday 1-3 miles
    Friday Rest
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    when my achilles is sore, i generally either take the day off, walk the miles, or do cross training. i'd much rather NOT risk really messing up my achilles which can result in surgery and/or taking off extended periods of time.
    but as mickie said, if you're willing to risk serious injury just to complete some 10ks, then do it. just don't complain when you can't walk or run or may need surgery.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You can't change the dates of the races, but you can just not go to the races! It's really not worth the injury as it sounds like you're already injured. Your achilles hurting for a day after a run is an injury, that's not normal, it's your body telling you to stop. I would suggest resting it for several days, icing it throughout the day, taking ibuprofen to reduce inflammation and if by say Friday, it's feeling normal to walk on, go for a REALLY slow jog, maybe just 2 miles. Maybe do walk/run intervals. If you get through that with no pain, then the next time out, you go a little further, maybe a little faster. If you still have pain, it's time to get yourself to the dr. I think the 10k's are a terrible idea right now.

The rule of thumb is to increase your mileage by no more than 10% a week. Going from 0 miles per week to 16 is just inviting injury. Let alone the fact you're STARTING injured.