Remaining Calories

Options
I’ve my food diary completed for today but I still have 609 calories remaining!! I do a boot camp class every Tuesday & Thursday mornings before work for roughly 1hr 10 mins. Should I be trying to use the remaining calories? A little confused!!

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    yes. eat them back - at least most of them

your calorie deficit is already built in, so your goal should be about zero calories remaining.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    when you log exercise, you get more calories
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Yes eat them back, in a way that will feed the muscles you used in boot camp. Not with a big slice of chocolate cake. :-)
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Do not force yourself to eat because you have calories left. To occasionally be under is ok. Just try to plan better for the future. You need to fuel your body to lose weight especially if your doing high intensity exercise. If your consistently having a hard time making your calorie goal then plan to eat more throughout the day instead of trying to hit it at the end.
  • LouPsych
    LouPsych Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same problem - however, I just started counting calories five days ago. I plan, when hit with a calorie deficit, to feed the chocolate addiction and enjoy a chocolate protein shake to catch up with the calories.
  • GemskiB
    GemskiB Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Do not force yourself to eat because you have calories left. To occasionally be under is ok. Just try to plan better for the future. You need to fuel your body to lose weight especially if your doing high intensity exercise. If your consistently having a hard time making your calorie goal then plan to eat more throughout the day instead of trying to hit it at the end.

This. I aim to eat back around 2/3 of my exorcise calories, somethimes I eat them all. I try and do it with nutritional foods, i.e, more veggies/lean meat with dinner. Or just a handful of plain almonds. More nutrition to fuel your workouts but not stuffing your face. If you are anything like me it's the eating more than you want/need that you are trying to get away from :)
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yes eat them back, in a way that will feed the muscles you used in boot camp. Not with a big slice of chocolate cake. :-)

Unless you want a big slice of choclate cake, and it fits in your calories, then you should eat it!
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Also, please keep in mind that unless you are using heartrate monitor, the accuracy of the amount of calories burned is really questionable. For example, MFP was giving 700 (+/-) calories burned for 60 minutes of kickboxing. I started using a heart rate monitor and the most calories burned during my class is was 540. I think eating some of them back is important, but I wouldn't recommend eating all of them unles you're confident in how many calories you burned. Good luck!!
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If you are still hungry, eat them. If you are absolutly fine, then don't. Is good to eat exercise calories back, but you don't have to force yourself if your are not hungry. It's never good to eat, when you are not hungry (but it's always good to drink when you are not thirsty). That's my suggestion.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

This. I aim to eat back around 2/3 of my exorcise calories, somethimes I eat them all. I try and do it with nutritional foods, i.e, more veggies/lean meat with dinner. Or just a handful of plain almonds. More nutrition to fuel your workouts but not stuffing your face. If you are anything like me it's the eating more than you want/need that you are trying to get away from :)

I Third this! Great advice is listen to your body, I eat back on exercise days if I feel I need it. If I feel well fuelled and full of beans I don't bother eating them back, other times I eat the lot. Someone already said don't eat for the sake of it.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I’ve my food diary completed for today but I still have 609 calories remaining!! I do a boot camp class every Tuesday & Thursday mornings before work for roughly 1hr 10 mins. Should I be trying to use the remaining calories? A little confused!!
    Yes, eat them back...and enjoy!
    If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes
    For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Eat if you're hungry. I'd say it's more important to have the calories match up for the week in total rather than every day.
  • gillianlee29
    gillianlee29 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks all