Fitness for persons with Arthritis?

Options
Hello, I'm a 26 year old student and I have been having some problems achieving my fitness goals. The problem I have is my back, hips and neck. They are all very stiff and sensitive to any sort of rigorous activity. I used to go to the gym and do whatever i wanted no problem, but now, not so much.

My doctor is testing me for Ankylosing Spondylitis (try saying that 5 times fast), which causes stiffening of the spine and peripheral joints. (such as neck, hips...) i was wondering if anyone had an experience with types of Rheumatoid Arthritis and fitness. I'm afraid to injure myself and I'm going crazy from being so lazy :P

Thanks!

Replies

• LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a condition that includes RA and i have had similar issues to you. I am 27 and have been ill for 8 years. I find that if I dont exercise, my joints seize up and the pain increases... I very slowly started exercising, low weight, high rep, walking, slow easy on bike etc. and have slowly but surely built it up to almost normal. i make sure I take rest days if my body is "angry" with me, and I have noticed a definite decrease in pain and swelling as a result of more exercise....

Feel good

x
  • Tracey1147
    Tracey1147 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    There is a group set up which helps

Chronic Pain & Weight Loss

Let me know if you can't find it, I'll send you an invite
  • ThereOnceWasAUnionMaid
    Options
    I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia so I understand the pain. I've found that swimming works really well. Do you have access to a pool? There's a gym near me that has a heated pool which is great on sore joints. Even if you're not swimming rigorously, just walking in the shallow end of the pool is great exercise and you don't really have to worry about hurting yourself. I started out walking 15 minutes per day (very slowly, all flat areas) and after about a month of that I felt okay to increase that to 30 minutes. Start out slow - something will make you feel better than nothing! You can do this.
  • Aquagal53
    Options
    You should try water aerobics. The classes for arthritis are great for the body. Water exercise is very forgiving to the joints. I teach both Arthritic classes and regular water aerobics. They all say it has helped their joint pain and ability to stretch, stand taller and move with more ease. Even if you can walk in the water for 60 min. a day it will make you feel so much better. Good luck.
  • Torrid86
    Options
    I am 23, and I have arthritis and tendonitis in my knees, so I understand how painful exercising can be. I can't run anymore. I find that brief to moderate amounts of walking aren't too bad, but like the others suggested, water aerobics of some sort are your best bet. I find that unlike other exercises, I don't feel so much pain after I swim. In fact, I usually feel better. It can be difficult if you don't have a pool nearby, though. I hope this helps.
  • Assillem
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I get test results Monday and hopefully it will reveal at least SOMETHING (pain sucks!). I live pretty close to a number of pools. I have a gym membership, but this chain of gyms do not have pools in their facilities, so I'm going to move my membership to one with a pool.

thanks again!
  • leojoshrun
    Options
    Hi Assillem, I am very new here. I don't have any kind of arthritis but for the first time i found that a person very active can have arthritis too. Let us know the good news when you will be free from this kind of pain.

Leo
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm a 26 year old student and I have been having some problems achieving my fitness goals. The problem I have is my back, hips and neck. They are all very stiff and sensitive to any sort of rigorous activity. I used to go to the gym and do whatever i wanted no problem, but now, not so much.

My doctor is testing me for Ankylosing Spondylitis (try saying that 5 times fast), which causes stiffening of the spine and peripheral joints. (such as neck, hips...) i was wondering if anyone had an experience with types of Rheumatoid Arthritis and fitness. I'm afraid to injure myself and I'm going crazy from being so lazy :P

Thanks!

I have lupus and other things. Ask your doctor what's ok, but generally swimming is a good idea if you can get to a pool. I walk and do pilates. The pilates helps me with the muscle pain but sometimes I can't do it because of joint pain, so just go easy and know your limitations.
  • Assillem
    Options
    I got the results of a bone scan. There was evidence of sacroilitis. I get to go to a rheumatologist for further assessment.
  • Weldersgirl
    Options
    I certainly agree with the responders who recommended water exercises. If you find a gym with a pool, hopefully it will include water aerobic classes. If not, I know the Arthritis Association has information and books on water aerobics. Check out their website.
    I also agree, as do the researchers and experts in the field, that it is vital to your health to keep moving. Work at our own pace, but move.
    I wish you the best!
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    so, obviously I know its better to do water exercise etc. However, my problem with it all is first of all I HATE being in a pool with other ppl! I get all OCD about cleanliness and feel gross about it. Also, and I realise that it is a mental attitude to have, but I want to be able to do what other people do!!!! I don't want to have to do "special" exercise! I want to be able to do weights, run, walk, jump etc. Now, obviously I am aware that this is a slightly (!!!!) babyish attitude, but I hate that I am different... at the age of 27 I shouldn't have to think of my knees before venturing out of my house etc.

and therefore ladies, whilst I know this is controversial, silly, short term and the like, but I do exercise normally. I run and do all the other things taht are bad to do.... I hate living with pain, rashes and the fear of teh unknown... so I just ignore it....

terrible advice, I know, but I'm sure many of u feel like that too and are too embarrassed to say it :p
  • Assillem
    Options
    I attempted the gym today. I was able to do cardio, but strength training exercises are a challenge. My stiff hips, neck and sensitive lower back make that difficult. I am looking into a different gym with a pool, but it's a lot farther away than my current one.
  • Aquagal53
    Options
    Instead of focusing on the pain in your knees focus on doing just a little more than you did yesterday it might be walk a 1/2 block more today or what ever you are doing for exercise. But just add a little bit more each day and do it slowly. GOOD LUCK
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem in my back,neck,hips, knees and if i dont stay active its worst so you want to keep moving no matter what even if you just walk swim or ride a bike