Why can't you gain muscle at a deficit again?

I hear that in order for muscle to grow, you have to be eating at an excess of calories. But if that was true, why do people who do Insanity to lose weight finish looking not just thinner, but more muscular than they ever have?

AND, scientifically speaking, if you need, lets say 500 calories of extra energy per day for your muscle to grow, & you have excess fat on your body, wouldn't your body break down that fat to get those calories in order to fuel muscle growth? Why would your body need a constant intake of extra calories when you already have loads of extra calories stored in your adipose tissue? I can understand for a guy who's only 140 pounds and wants to bulk up to a muscular 180, then sure he needs to eat more. But for someone who's overweight and wants to gain muscle WHILE losing their fat, why isn't that possible?

Replies

• 1.They may look more muscular since they have lost body fat and retained lean body mass revealing their muscles.

2. I don't think there's any metabolic pathway to convert fat into muscle, therefore protein and an abundance of calories are needed.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    You can see the muscles more clearly, making them look more muscular. Heavy people generally have a decent amount of muscle just from moving around their bulk all the time and eating a calorie surplus, so when they cut away the fat they end up looking pretty muscular.

Extremely overweight/obese people CAN gain muscle on a calorie deficit for exactly the reasons you listed. However, for people who have lower body fat percentages, they simply can't mobilize enough energy from fat stores to compensate for a calorie deficit and muscle growth simultaneously.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    You can see the muscles more clearly, making them look more muscular. Heavy people generally have a decent amount of muscle just from moving around their bulk all the time and eating a calorie surplus, so when they cut away the fat they end up looking pretty muscular.

Extremely overweight/obese people CAN gain muscle on a calorie deficit for exactly the reasons you listed. However, for people who have lower body fat percentages, they simply can't mobilize enough energy from fat stores to compensate for a calorie deficit and muscle growth simultaneously.
    But that's not true at all for me. I used to lose weight the unhealthy way & wittled down to a mere 102 pounds. But I was still skinny fat and had NO muscle tone, I was soft all over. I gained all the weight back and some. I got back into weight loss again, but this time I started doing resistance exercises along with my calorie deficit & cardio & I started seeing muscle definition that never existed before, even at my lowest weight. & I know its not just my eyes playing tricks on me because my friends noticed too. My stomach is noticeably firmer and thighs are stronger and harder, before they were just mush. The only weight training I ever did was while I was on about a 500 calorie/day deficit for about 8 weeks. My whole body got firmer.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    You were maintaining the LBM you already had and because you were training the muscles were retaining water making it look and feel like you were gaining muscle
  • markyb1977
    markyb1977 Posts: 28 Member
    Ill give the unscientific explanation...

If your feeding is 3 times a day, and the final meal is 1200 calories just after you work out, the muscle growth will result and the negative calories later in the day will feed off fat, all bodies are different.

But just cause you should have had 3000 calories in a day and you only had 2000, lets just say you wake up in the morning and feed.... evenly over the course of the day, it could be very different cause at no stage are you really feeding your body ENOUGH.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member

Cliffs: overfat beginners can gain some muscle without a surplus. muscle gain without surplus can not be maintained long term.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    I hear that in order for muscle to grow, you have to be eating at an excess of calories. But if that was true, why do people who do Insanity to lose weight finish looking not just thinner, but more muscular than they ever have?
    Strip away body fat and a body will look more muscular. Many adolescent males look muscular from low body fat without working out.
    AND, scientifically speaking, if you need, lets say 500 calories of extra energy per day for your muscle to grow, & you have excess fat on your body, wouldn't your body break down that fat to get those calories in order to fuel muscle growth?
    Fat calories can't be converted to protein which are the building blocks of muscle.
    Why would your body need a constant intake of extra calories when you already have loads of extra calories stored in your adipose tissue?
    Again you're speaking about stored lipid energy vs taking in amino acids.
    I can understand for a guy who's only 140 pounds and wants to bulk up to a muscular 180, then sure he needs to eat more. But for someone who's overweight and wants to gain muscle WHILE losing their fat, why isn't that possible?
    It's possible to an extent if one is obese/very overweight and/or has NEVER trained before, but even then the gain is minimal. To add muscle is to add mass. You don't add mass without calorie surplus (with the exception of the mentioned).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    It's like driving to Mexico and Canada at the same time....unless you're shooting roids!
    Seriously, there is no such thing as 100% fat loss or muscle gain, and while losing weight, the key is retention of lean body mass.
    That's why we take it slow; those in a race with nature finish last.
    Good luck... :flowerforyou:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    1) You can gain in a deficit in certain circumstances (you are obese, just starting out a lifting program, or returning after not lifting for ages....) It's called newbie gains :) These won't last forever.

2) They have removed the fat to reveal the muscle underneath. If you crash diet and lose lots of weight the unhealthy way, then you've likely lost lots of muscle too. If you lose weight healthily, while lifting, then you'll maintain more muscle to show off, even if you haven't added any extra.

Insanity probably involves a mix of the 2. 1) They are new to the program, gains would be less if they'd done several rounds. 2) The programme also involves mainly bodyweight stuff, not really the best for adding muscle. They're likely showing off the muscle they had already, and maintaining it more than they would if they didn't exercise at all.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    But that's not true at all for me. I used to lose weight the unhealthy way & wittled down to a mere 102 pounds. But I was still skinny fat and had NO muscle tone, I was soft all over. I gained all the weight back and some. I got back into weight loss again, but this time I started doing resistance exercises along with my calorie deficit & cardio & I started seeing muscle definition that never existed before, even at my lowest weight. & I know its not just my eyes playing tricks on me because my friends noticed too. My stomach is noticeably firmer and thighs are stronger and harder, before they were just mush. The only weight training I ever did was while I was on about a 500 calorie/day deficit for about 8 weeks. My whole body got firmer.

That's because, when you lost weight "the unhealthy way," you lost lean body mass, too. When you started the resistance exercises, you maintained much of your lean body mass, while losing the fat. You didn't gain (at least not significantly) any lean body mass.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Because there actors
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member

and another...
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html

...though I've found it is much easier to read about it than to make it actually happen. Tough stuff.

Good luck!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Here's an idea: Don't worry about it.

Whether you're gaining muscle mass as it may appear or (and this is what's actually happening) you're losing body fat and revealing muscle mass that was already there, the process to get there is the same. Eat enough protein, lift, and stay at a healthy calorie deficit. The specifics at the end of the day aren't that important.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    I dunno, Loveys. I am consistently getting stronger and stronger because I have been challenging myself since my early twenties. My ability to deal with increasingly heavy weights - which, I THINK means my muscles are "growing" happens whether I am eating more or eating less calories, so all I can say is..... Get to know your OWN body.... :flowerforyou:
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Strip away body fat and a body will look more muscular. Many adolescent males look muscular from low body fat without working out.
    AND, scientifically speaking, if you need, lets say 500 calories of extra energy per day for your muscle to grow, & you have excess fat on your body, wouldn't your body break down that fat to get those calories in order to fuel muscle growth?
    Fat calories can't be converted to protein which are the building blocks of muscle.
    Why would your body need a constant intake of extra calories when you already have loads of extra calories stored in your adipose tissue?
    I can understand for a guy who's only 140 pounds and wants to bulk up to a muscular 180, then sure he needs to eat more. But for someone who's overweight and wants to gain muscle WHILE losing their fat, why isn't that possible?
    It's possible to an extent if one is obese/very overweight and/or has NEVER trained before, but even then the gain is minimal. To add muscle is to add mass. You don't add mass without calorie surplus (with the exception of the mentioned).

IDEA Fitness member

:flowerforyou:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member

IDEA Fitness member

:flowerforyou:

Yup.

Also, scientific laws dictate that you cannot create something out of nothing and the nothing would be a deficiency in calories consumed.
  • kr381806
    kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
    bump
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Yup.

Also, scientific laws dictate that you cannot create something out of nothing and the nothing would be a deficiency in calories consumed.

GTFO with your obvious science
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    bump. I have been asking this question for quite some time now. Can't wait to read the responses.