Running and The Derierre

Options
I just started training for a 5K that's coming up in May, so I'm doing a lot more running than usual (obviously). But, as I'm running, I'm experiencing an uncomfortable sensation that I can only describe as: butt jiggling. With every step I take, there it goes, right behind me, reminding me that it's not going anywhere. And, it's annoying because I end up with a sore butt.

For all of you big bootied fellows out there, what do you wear that helps keep the jiggle to the minimum?

(and after you have laughed at this post, please help!)

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    You can probably wear biking shorts that will support your butt. I know that when I first started jogging, I called it jiggling just for that reason. Once you build up muscles back there, the bounce should lessen significantly.
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    1) Compression pants / capris to squeeze it all up :o)
    2) Do some squats with weights to help tighten it up but your cheeks will still be sore for a while just eventually they won't.

I have butt jiggle too and ugh am working on it and abs..
  • amorgy
    amorgy Posts: 4
    Options
    Good Work on the Running! The benefits are tremendous. I wear bike shorts or tight leggings when I run & I also squeeze it. I alternate working different muscle groups to keep from having pain.....I squeeze my toush, then I squeeze my abs tight, then I may lift my knees a little bit higher, then I will take a longer step. I find that this keeps me going pain free.

I am 55 years old and take no medication & I signed up to do a 1/2 marathon. Am I crazy???? I pushed on Sunday & made a nice 4 mile run. That is a long long way to 13.1 miles.

A
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I agree with compression pants, but as someone who's lost 50lbs and still runs, you'll still jiggle! My boobs bounce, my stomach bounces, and my butt bounces. Everything's firmer than it was a year ago...but we're still women with jiggly bits. Booo

:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    everything hurts when I run & feels like its gonna fall off. I run at night w/no witnesses..... and wear black on the bottom!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I get the same but with my belly! I second the recommendation of compression or tight Lycra shorts.

Throw in some hills, that will firm up your bum in no time!
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Definitely compression pants/capris
    :wink:
  • Jmich1229
    Options
    LOL! My sister and I went through the same issue when we started a running program that was called couch potato to 5k. We actually did test jogs in front of each other to see how bad it looked from behind. Oooh the thought of someone in the class running behind us thinking "OH MY GAWD", then taking off like a bat out of hell, running past us at light speed in an attempt to out run the nightmare that was before them. I decided that I would wear this pair of body shaping long leg briefs beneath my capri's and running pants. It kept the jiggle to a minimum, and kept my sanity in tact. In about 6 months the jiggle decreased because of the toning running provided. I found that I actually enjoyed running, but I have been sidelined for a couple of years due to some issues with my feet, but I have healed and am looking forward to getting back in the game. Happy New Year, and good luck with the running.
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I agree with chancellork.... my butt, my stomach, my chest.... everything jiggles and it makes me not want to jog =(
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Compression pants/shorts. If you keep at it, the jiggling will turn into something a little more solid.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Go with compression pants, or even underwear. It works!
  • lniblack812
    lniblack812 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Compression pants work WONDERS!!! I'll notice my tush firming up after a few running sessions, but it always jiggles ;)
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    2) Do some squats with weights to help tighten it up but your cheeks will still be sore for a while just eventually they won't.

i second this. squats and lunges might be some hard love, but overall, they're your friends!
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    lol only because I can relate... I wear my lycra capris (compression) love them and they feel great too!
    The bounce will still happen but it helps.
    Keep up the great work! :flowerforyou:
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    Haha, I'm so glad you asked this question! I love my booty but the jiggle drives me nuts on runs.

For everyone that suggested it - what brand of compression pants/shorts do you like? Or are they all pretty much going to do the same thing?
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Compression tights really work - I can vouch for them!!!! I am pear shaped & store all fat on my hips & bum so I know only too well about the jiggling!!! Also prefer running in the dark & have been known to tie something around my waist during daylight just to disguise it (though it does t stop the jiggling)!!!!!! Good luck with the running though :flowerforyou:
  • alyssanichele
    Options
    Thank you for these wonderful answers!! Compression pants it is :)