I'm very fit an love to workout but my friends are not

so here is the deal i love to workout and i am addicted to fitness i am a 19 year old female an 110-105 pounds as you can see i am very healthy but all my friends and family are over weight and not active as me and there are days that its hard to stay on track or motivation is not always there or am not happy because i have no real support or any one to share this healthy life style with i feel so alone in this if being healthy and fit means being alone all the time then what is the point some times.

can anyone help me or give me some advice??

ZOeyadair

Replies

• join the local gym, sporting club etc and make new friends with same fitness goals. It's hard to change people who aren't interested in changing so don't force it - make new friends wiht the same interests elsewhere
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    None of my family or friends are into fitness at all, so I often feel like this! (well, one runs, but she's 300 miles away!)

The things that have helped me have been going to fitness classes (body conditioning, pilates and nike training club) a lot of the people are the same, so although we're not friends, we chat and motivate each other to go harder! And then also joining a sports team, I joined the university rowing club so do a lot of sports with them, it's probably one of the best things i've ever done! We have a training programme and workout together, plus all the time we spend in the boat and doing erg tests means when I want to talk to people about personal bests, how to avoid blisters etc, then they all understand where I'm coming from! When I leave uni I'm going to join my local rowing club too as I get so much out of it!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Get new friends :flowerforyou:

Not saying you have to dump the old ones....just make a few new ones that share your interests...maybe join a running club or take a fitness class of some sort...there will be a ton of people there , chat with some...
  • thanks all:)
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Because being alone seems to be one of the issues for you, you definitely might want to look into some "social" or group-based opportunities so you can make fitness-minded friends.

I can empathise with your situation. In college, I wound up being the only guy of the 4 in our apartment who went to the gym. It was hard to turn down hang-out time in order to get to the gym, but it had to be done. I'm in a slightly similar situation, now, not because the people I spend time with don't exercise, but because they do theirs in the morning and I do mine in the evening. However, I'm an introvert. While I prefer to work out with friends, I can just as easily use alone time in the gym as the "me time" that I need to recharge.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    join the local gym, sporting club etc and make new friends with same fitness goals. It's hard to change people who aren't interested in changing so don't force it - make new friends wiht the same interests elsewhere

Yes. This. Some of my "new" best friends are ones I've met at the gym/fitness classes. I still have my old friends and they play a different role in my life then my "fitness" friends.
  • nack_23
    nack_23 Posts: 154
    I know the feeling! I have friends that will go to the gym with me once and never come again. SLACKERS!