Been on Crutches for 3 months. Need some advice!

Options
I broke two bones in my foot the beginning of October. I was on crutches for 3 months and now I was given the OK to start a little weight bearing. I still have the removable cast. I gained about 15 pounds since and need to start exercising. Previously, I would exercise at least 5 times a week. (Mostly cardio based). Since the new year, I have become diligent about my eating habits, but really advice on some exercises I could do. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'd consult with your physician.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'd consult with your physician.

Definitely talk to your doctor before you start doing any exercise. Unless you're ok with screwing up your broken bones more and spending 3 more more months in a cast?
  • s9812694
    s9812694 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think the key here is you are allowed a LITTLE weight bearing. As a fellow person who has been on cruches I know where you are coming from, I itched to get back to the gym. But it is not worth making things worse. Crutches are themselves a good arm work out (and abs). Ask your doctor if physio is going to be needed and follow both sets of advice.

Feel free to add me if you want to rant!
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Swim. Not weight bearing. I would have started that a few months back. I am going to be on crutches for 6 weeks starting February 22nd. I am already looking into a gym that I can join for 2 months so that I can swim for exercise.
  • snappo2000
    snappo2000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I will definitely be consulting with my physician as I do not want to make matters worse. I see him on Thurs. and will not do anything before I see him. I know I will not be able to do anything crazy like jumping or running right away. Honestly, if I could just start walking again I would be happy. I started doing some weight training for my arms and have been doing some ab work, but it is not the same. I am definitely more of a cardio person, and these 3 months have been agonizing to say the least!
  • s9812694
    s9812694 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1) I agree talk to your GP
    2) Swimming or (strangely) walking in the swimming pool. You get resistance from water so moving forward hard, but far less weight is put through your legs/ feet. When I had something similar I found swimming with legs painful at first so breaststroke just with arms was recommended to me.

Hope this helps!...But talk to GP/ physio/ gym first. Remember some gyms will restrict what you can do until they get the 100% all clear via a doctors note!