Cheat Day??

Options
Okay, so I have a friend at work who has lost over 100lbs with WW in 11 months, she said every single week of the 11 months she would cheat one day a week........
My question is, do you have a cheat day?? And if you do, do you allow for it with extra workout and cut calories in other places? And what do you do or say to yourself the next day when the old menu is back??
I'm afraid I'm gonna cheat and not be able to get back in the groove and I'm doing so well this time. I think I'm just looking for reassurance. Trying to be ready for everything. :\

Replies

• MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You have to have some fun and enjoyment in life. It is ok to cheat a lil' in my book. Give yourself a break... you deserve it! I bet the reason you friend was sooooo successful is because she gave her self a much deserved reward for all of her hard work.
  • gurlondrums
    gurlondrums Posts: 187
    Options
    Well I don't know how well an entire cheat day would work. I have cheat moments. Now and then. Sometimes I go a little extra with exercise, sometimes I don't. It depends on how I feel and what I'm eating. I guess it all depends on the individual person. I work with someone who's on WW but she cheats all the time and goes to the gym 3 times a week and doesn't know why she can't lose weight. So I don't know. It all depends on you, I guess. Can you handle cheating and not going overboard? Maybe it's all just willpower.
  • candicecumbie
    Options
    WW is a little different because it allows you to store up your points to have a cheat day. You could do the same with this. You have to take in at least 1200 calories a day to keep your body functioning properly. So if you can normally have 1400 calories a day, you could save that extra 200 for a cheat day. You could also offset it by exercise. I wouldn't take in too many extra calories though.
  • soulcatcher
    Options
    I agree with the above comment somewhat... it DOES depend on the person. On the other hand, for alot of people (including myself) food, and sugar especially, is an addiction. If someone was on drugs, you wouldn't give them a "cheat day." So, for me, cheat days don't work, because once u start getting that taste of sugar, your taste buds adapt to that and u start craving more. But again, everyone is different. Some people can slack off, and jump right back into the routine. Ask yourself if you're an all or nothing person? If so, you probably don't want a cheat day.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Ya, I don't think I could handle an entire cheat day. I haven't lost enough, but even for a cheat meal I feel like I would get depressed about it....maybe that means I'm just not ready to cheat lol
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Once in a blue moon I'll have a cheat day, but regret it the following day (I get a really crappy workout as a result). I feel that I don't need to cheat as I find ways to enjoy the same foods I always have, or make a healthier, equally tasty version of it.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    When I first started I used to have a cheat item everyday instead of one day to cheat. I wasn't on MFP back then so I have no idea what it did to my calorie intake, but I gradually started to make my cheat item smaller and smaller. In the beginning I'd be good the whole day except for that one donut from the 3 dozen brought in by a guy at work. Eventually it became half a donut, and now I almost always resist the urge completely. Usually I'm able to cut out a few things here or there during the rest of the day after the cheat item to still hit my calorie goals.

You have to recognize that you're probably not going to be able to stick to a diet to the exact letter every day. Even if it's just one more spoonful of cottage cheese when you dish out your cup. :-) The key is not to be discouraged by the things that trip you up, but to rise each time you fall.
  • bumbleleigh
    Options
    I don't really like the terms cheating, or "being naughty", or anything that puts a negative connotation on eating. To me these things signify "diet", and I'm not on a diet, I'm on a new way of life - If you look at it from a lifestyle change point of view, those things just don't make much sense. Eating better should be a lifelong thing, and become routine, and hopefully (eventually) won't be a daily struggle. So if you're eating healthy overall, and you want a cheeseburger (or anything else) one day, than eat a cheeseburger - just work it off afterwards or adjust your day otherwise 4 out of 5 meals being healthy in a day is ok.

I would also say eventually you won't want that stuff anymore - I already don't like coke anymore, and I didn't stop drinking it for any reason - just because I liked tea better. I also ordered a pizza today, and it was the first time ever I wished I didn't eat a pizza - it was just unsatisfying and slightly disturbing.

People who live healthy lifestyles "naturally" probably don't sit around saying "Oh, I can only eat cake on Friday"....they just incorporate healthy decisions overall to make less healthy food ok every once in awhile. You really have to think about whats going to happen when you reach your goal - what you're doing today, should be something you're able to continue at that point, and forever, or else you'll be lost and won't know what to do. Are you doing to do cheat days for the rest of your life?

Annnddd I don't believe in rewarding yourself with food (partly for the reasons above)....a cheat day says "If i'm good all week, I can splurge Friday" and turns your motivation to the cheat day rather than being motivated because you're doing a very good thing for yourself. Intrinsic motivators seem to work out the best usually =)

However, I suppose if you're having a hard time starting off and its impossible for you to resist cravings, a cheat day might be a better alternative because without one you wouldn't have a real rule and might splurge everyday.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't really like the terms cheating, or "being naughty", or anything that puts a negative connotation on eating. To me these things signify "diet", and I'm not on a diet, I'm on a new way of life - If you look at it from a lifestyle change point of view, those things just don't make much sense. Eating better should be a lifelong thing, and become routine, and hopefully (eventually) won't be a daily struggle. So if you're eating healthy overall, and you want a cheeseburger (or anything else) one day, than eat a cheeseburger - just work it off afterwards or adjust your day otherwise 4 out of 5 meals being healthy in a day is ok.

I would also say eventually you won't want that stuff anymore - I already don't like coke anymore, and I didn't stop drinking it for any reason - just because I liked tea better. I also ordered a pizza today, and it was the first time ever I wished I didn't eat a pizza - it was just unsatisfying and slightly disturbing.

People who live healthy lifestyles "naturally" probably don't sit around saying "Oh, I can only eat cake on Friday"....they just incorporate healthy decisions overall to make less healthy food ok every once in awhile. You really have to think about whats going to happen when you reach your goal - what you're doing today, should be something you're able to continue at that point, and forever, or else you'll be lost and won't know what to do. Are you doing to do cheat days for the rest of your life?

Annnddd I don't believe in rewarding yourself with food (partly for the reasons above)....a cheat day says "If i'm good all week, I can splurge Friday" and turns your motivation to the cheat day rather than being motivated because you're doing a very good thing for yourself. Intrinsic motivators seem to work out the best usually =)

However, I suppose if you're having a hard time starting off and its impossible for you to resist cravings, a cheat day might be a better alternative because without one you wouldn't have a real rule and might splurge everyday.

:) Thanks Tara, I needed that!
  • Heather1776
    Heather1776 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that a cheat "day" may be a little much. I think that it's good to splurge a little now and then. I think it breaks up the monotony of strict diets and tells our body that we aren't in starvation mode (in which it holds onto fat). I don't think it's a good idea to deprive ourselves of foods we love, otherwise it can lead to disaster (totally going off track). On the weekends, I tend to be a little more lax on my intake, but don't go crazy.
  • jen2bthin
    Options
    I have found that when I have one cheat it will turn into one more and one more and one more. So for me, I just splurge with a Weight Watchers ice cream or fancy creamer in my coffee, but try hard to stick to it so that i don't fall off my weight loss wagon. Now i have only been doing this for 3 weeks and have lost 5 pounds, but for me the less I cheat, the more focused I become.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

I agree 100% For me this is a lifestyle change. If i really want it I will eat it. Having this attitude seems to make it ok in my mind to eat something and I generally don't even eat all I have allowed myself to eat. For example I wanted cheesecake so badly that I decided to allow myself to eat it. I sat down with it and savored every bite; however, I never even got halfway through it before I didn't want anymore. Then I threw the rest away and went on without the craving
  • cnflet2
    cnflet2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i dont agree with having cheat DAYS i have cheat MEALS.
    so once or twice a week ill let myself eat whatever i want- but i normally google search the nutrition facts first.

like last night - i had PANCAKES, SAUSAGES AND EGGS WITH SYRUP from IHOP for only 450 cals!! so i didnt regret it at all. it actually fit in quite perfectly, and i didnt feel like i was on a diet at all. =)

and i LOVE italian beef sandwiches, so i find which fast food place had the lowest cal/fat intake- and now i now where to satisfy my craving.

you should try it.
  • sharrypdx
    Options
    THis is one of the healthiest ways to look at food that I have ever experienced. Thanks!
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I totally allow splurges! It keeps me sane :) I read somewhere about a 90/10 ratio...if you are good 90% of the time, allow yourself some slack 10% of the time. :)
  • flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    Options
    I agree that "cheating" has a negative vibe to it. With this lifestyle change I've decided that I will have days when I want that fatty item, and that I'll have to work harder to get rid of it, sometimes over the period of several days afterward. I feel better when I keep on track with my calories & exercise, but don't beat myself up for having a piece of cake when there's a birthday celebration. Just keep it on an even keel and you'll be able to ride out the storms.
  • Heather1776
    Heather1776 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    By the way, if you are finding yourself craving some chocolate I've found Kellogg's Fiber Plus bars to help a lot. When I'm eyeing a donut or some ice cream, I grab one of those bars instead. They taste sooooo good, but only have 130 calories. They also have 35% of your recommended daily intake of fiber so it helps you to feel full longer. My favorite is Chocolate Almond. Yum!
  • amarti24
    amarti24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like to have cheat meals instead of days about once a week. I feel that you have a day it means you can binge and eat what your heart desires and that's not really right (imo). there are days where I will have a brunch and a dinner event. this will in return provide a whole day. it's funny but when I have those "cheat" moments I know I'm not eating as much as once did as far as calorie intake and I find that a success.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it if you are sticking to your plan 95% of the time.

If its ONCE in a while, it's really not a big deal at all.

I hear this all the time on here when the holidays come around. People get so concerned about Thanksgiving DAY or Christmas DAY.

You don't gain weight by eating poorly on a specific DAY. You will gain weight if you continue those habits throughout the entire holiday season.

Pick and choose when you want to splurge. Just don't let it get out of hand.
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the previous posts in terms of not viewing this as a "rule breaker" or negative, sneaky move. To enjoy a nice meal without worrying about the calories or a day where you aren't gorging, just eating some items you don't normally eat, allows you to maintain some balance and take some pressure off. I have maintained my weight doing this most weeks. I either enjoy a nice meal that I normally don't have or a day where I am conscious of what I am eating, but not worrying about the calorie content. It won't set you back in your weight loss unless you do this more days of the week than you track and stay within your "loss mode" calories. Now I also agree with some of the posts which stated that doing this sets off a binge - some people cannot do this because it really is too difficult for them to get back on track. You have to know yourself well and determine if this is right for you.