How do you deal with stress eating?

Options
When I feel stressed, I lose a lot of self control. As someone w/ anxiety issues, when I get stressed I binge and it really sucks because I know it's all my fault.

Any tips, guys?

Replies

• LuvHinesWard86
    LuvHinesWard86 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too...especially in the evenings. I have a couple things that help me. I brush my teeth or chdw sugar free gum.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I keep extra fruits, veggies, low calorie snakes available for when I feel super hungry and need a quick binge.

If it is stress related...maybe try breathing exercises or meditations to help you relax.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater dealing with depression and anxiety; it's really tough. I put on a lot of weight last year when my cat died. I had him all 15 years of his life and it was awfui. Generally, depending how awful I'm feeling, sometimes I can talk myself out of eating. On the occasions when I can't, I escape reality by playing World of Warcraft.... don't judge, hehe

But really, thowring myself into an activity or hobby I enjoy seems to help keep me from making myself feel worse by binging on junk.

Good luck to you and I wish you the best!
  • Freedomgurl585
    Freedomgurl585 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yea...this really sucks. I like the post about meditation and deep breathing...I'm gonna try that. Be strong, say NO to bad foods, and treat yourself once in awhile. The right way. I'm thinking what other than a carrot stick can I have, lol.
  • Socobruja
    Socobruja Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The good news is you can identify what triggers your binging. Now, all you have to do is first identify a behavior to replace the binging (like a walk, listen to music, read, clean, situps, etc) then, #1 - as soon as you realize you are binging, STOP and take a second to breathe #2 - make a CHOICE to go to your replacement behavior. In that one second, you just have to know what you feel like later (guilty/bad) and decide to change it for YOURSELF!
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I run. I ran 10 miles on Sunday. I'm due for another 2-4 tomorrow.
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I run. And run. And run. Best stress reliever
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You started by saying you have anxiety issues, and ended with I know it's all my fault. What an anxiety producing loop that is! As a fellow extremely anxious person, I can say on good authority that when you feel that way, it's basically impossible not to do SOMETHING to make the feeling go away. Don't be ashamed.

Decide, right now, how you're going to handle anxiety attacks. Maybe you go for a walk, or put on music you love and dance, or whatever you can think of that will distract and soothe you. Next time you feel that way, try it, and if you succeed, feel very, very proud. Maybe even reward yourself. Every time you win over the anxiety, congratulate yourself, because it is really, genuinely difficult.
  • rositalf911
    Options
    by eating 1 1/2 cup of kellogs fruit and yogurt cereal with 1% milk. cant feel guilty for indulging on less than 200 calories!
  • srcantgiveup
    srcantgiveup Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Really like your thoughts and finding a replacement behavior is something I need to work on. Thanks for mentioning this..
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The trouble with anxiety is that it leads to a build up of energy and the feeling that I'm going to explode! I have found exercise (to release the energy) and meditation (to calm the feelings and address the root of the anxiety) effective. And this is a good reminder that I need to meditate more! Sometimes even a few minutes of focusing on your breathing can be remarkably effective. Good luck.
  • Bwandls
    Bwandls Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. :) and yeah.. When I have my stressed moments, I don't really listen to myself and just take a breathe. Ill try and do that from now on.
  • enb5056
    enb5056 Posts: 31
    Options
    I've recently been trying to instead of stress eating chocolate (which I used to do all the time), make myself a cup of tea, or even work out. Both of these are soooo much better at making me unstressed than food is, because I usually just eat, feel guilty, then get more stressed.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Get a bicycle, and feel like a kid with no cares, all over again!
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I think recognizing it as emotional/stress eating is a really big step to controlling it. I have a tendency to do this as well and I think many women do. If you figure it out, let us all know!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Deal with the stress and you will not need to stress eat. Try yoga, meditation, prayer, phone a friend, exercise, whatever works. There is only so much we can control in our lives. Eating won't change the things we can't control.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Find another stress reliever. Instead of grabbing food, go for a walk, listen to music, find a new hobby, watch a movie, etc. Plan something that you will turn to instead of food. Think of something that makes you feel better. Exercise is usually a good one.
  • julesroll
    Options
    I'm having this issue right now. Any tips for when your at work and you can't go for a walk or exercise or fill with another option??