weight gain after workouts

Options
Anyone, have weight gain the morning after strenuous workouts? I dont think my salt intake is any different. I often see weight gain the morning after fairly strenous workouts notably those involving large muscles groups. Two days ago I weighed 167 and today I am 169.
I presume this is water related. I cannot imagine losing or gaining this much fat or muscle in a day or so is possible. I am a 39 year female. I guess I should not weigh myself everyday??
I do not consume alot of fluids because if I do, I am ALWAYS in the restroom and alot of water seems to worsen my acid reflux. This is really bothering me. Thanks for the input

Replies

• harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    your muscles retain water after hard work outs to help them repair, i weigh almost everyday too, don't worry about it it keeps me more motivated!
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    yup
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Tough workouts will make your muscles retain water to repair themselves. Are your muscles sore? If they are they are holding onto water.

I wouldn't weigh everyday as our weight does naturally change daily and hourly. The daily changes just tend to drive people crazy.
  • oongiemongie
    Options
    thanks for the responses. I am quite sore today and am glad this is water, as I suspected. Being a numbers person, it still makes me nuts though. I will get over it :ohwell:
  • rmojo13
    rmojo13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry on the days that I lift weights (my workouts are typically first thing in the morning at 6:30am) so I make sure not to weigh myself the day after I lift. With my increased appetite and the fact that your muscles do hold water to repair (as others already have mentioned) I find it discouraging to step on the scale and see bad results. I typically weigh myself on the day after cardio about 3 or 4 days per week. Everyone has their opinions on how often to step on the scale, you have to choose what you feel is best for you. However, make sure you are able to handle the results on the days when they fall short of your expectations......when you are hoping to lose 2lbs a week there won't be much more than a 1/2 lb of movement when weighing often.

As for your acid reflux acting up when drinking water, I'd get that checked out. I have had it for about 10 years now and have it in check. If water is causing it to act up you may need to get it checked out by your doctor.

Good luck to you.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    On the days of big workouts you should try taking some BCAA's, they will help keep your body from burning as much lean body weight, and I generally find that I am less sore after a big workout.