Eat Clean Get Lean!

Options
Hey guys, Im looking to compete in a show in the near future. If anybody would like some advice on nutrition or workout tips feel free to ask!

Replies

• Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That would be awesome. I too use to complete but those days are over for me. I'm sure i will have some questions though, lots has changed since then. Add me if you'd like.
  • Brookesworld104
    Brookesworld104 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I need some help with this. I don't eat meat, and really have zero interest in Fish. I can deal with a mild tilapia or snapper and some shrimp or scallops but I am not a seafood eater. Most Eat Clean Training regimes include tons of grilled chicken, in fact this is all some people eat. How can I also achieve a training regime diet and remain meat free? I do eat eggs and dairy btw. Any suggestions are helpful.
  • sunnyinaz78
    Options
    I need advice and have been doing tons of research, so happy to have your advice!
    I love running/jogging have lost lots of body fat however don't want to lose much muscle, especially now that I have been incorporating lots of strength training in the past couple of months. my mid section needs some tightening. Diet is super clean. So my question is how often should I incorporate strength training vs. cardio days to achieve the results I want without sacrificing muscle. And how long should my weight training and cardio sessions be?
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, Im looking to compete in a show in the near future. If anybody would like some advice on nutrition or workout tips feel free to ask!

I've been reading Dr. Fuhrman lately and trying to understand his approach to nutrition. Don't particularly like his argument against animal protein consumption, but I find micro-nutrients information fascinating. I got 2 of his books. Eat for health and Eat to live. I just finished Eat for Health. Still on a fence for this one, but definitely plenty information on a clean nutrition.
  • nack_23
    nack_23 Posts: 154
    Options
    I need some help with this. I don't eat meat, and really have zero interest in Fish. I can deal with a mild tilapia or snapper and some shrimp or scallops but I am not a seafood eater. Most Eat Clean Training regimes include tons of grilled chicken, in fact this is all some people eat. How can I also achieve a training regime diet and remain meat free? I do eat eggs and dairy btw. Any suggestions are helpful.

There are lots of good protein sources that do not involve meat. Beans, are a great source of protein. Black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans. Nuts also have a significant amount of protein, although you may need to watch how much you consume as they are very high in calories. And of course protein powders.
  • nack_23
    Options

I've been reading Dr. Fuhrman lately and trying to understand his approach to nutrition. Don't particularly like his argument against animal protein consumption, but I find micro-nutrients information fascinating. I got 2 of his books. Eat for health and Eat to live. I just finished Eat for Health. Still on a fence for this one, but definitely plenty information on a clean nutrition.

I have heard of these books, but have not read them yet. I have heard good things about them though. Ill have to give them a read!
  • alexveksler
    Options

Hi Brooke,

I just replied about Dr. Fuhrman. I always followed low carb diet and will always be a meat eater. I am not going to push this guy's book on anyone, but I went ahead and bought. What I found fascinating that he is talking about there is more (and better) protein in various types of beans that is in animal. I will always eat fish and chicken and I LOVE BBQ ribs. But since I lost 75 LBs and want to continue on the healthy path, I owe to myself at least learn and understand what he is talking about. Again, he is talking too much on the micro (not macro) nutrient level and how it is benefits our bodies. My $0.02
  • mayhr3
    mayhr3 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi, Just in the process of trying to loose weight. Was wondering if eating small meals all day is better then 3 big meals a day? which would be better for me??

Thanks

May
  • nack_23
    Options
    I need advice and have been doing tons of research, so happy to have your advice!
    I love running/jogging have lost lots of body fat however don't want to lose much muscle, especially now that I have been incorporating lots of strength training in the past couple of months. my mid section needs some tightening. Diet is super clean. So my question is how often should I incorporate strength training vs. cardio days to achieve the results I want without sacrificing muscle. And how long should my weight training and cardio sessions be?

Unfortunately for MOST people the mid-section, lower back and lower tummy is the last place for fat to leave, and the first place for it to go. There is no such thing as "spot reducing". Fat comes off from every part of your body. Generally the face is the first place to notice fat loss.

Ideally I would say to do your cardio immediately after your strength training. Nothing too intense. The stair-master is AMAZING for burning fat.

Anything over 1 1/2 hours in the gym is too much. Between 45-60 minutes strength training and 10-30 minutes moderate cardio is what i would recommend
  • alexveksler
    Options

There are lots of good protein sources that do not involve meat. Beans, are a great source of protein. Black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans. Nuts also have a significant amount of protein, although you may need to watch how much you consume as they are very high in calories. And of course protein powders.

He was actually talking about protein powders. Athletes require more than 35 gr of protein per day. I am not a body builder by any means, but I workout daily, cardio and weight lifting and I look for about 60-80 gr of protein. In his book, Fuhrman was actually talking about some body builder dude, who was his patient, and he said that he has never had to replenish his body with protein shakes. He was talking about combination of some beans (I think lima and crowder) 2 servings per day, that would be more than enough to get your 80-100 gr. AND most importantly the fiber that moves through your intestinal tract that cleans and pulls all the **** down. No pun intended. :) Damn, I sound like I want to sell you this book. Sorry
  • nack_23
    Options
    Hi, Just in the process of trying to loose weight. Was wondering if eating small meals all day is better then 3 big meals a day? which would be better for me??

Thanks

May

They do say eating 6 smaller meals a day is better for keeping your metabolisim going. But, others would argue that 3 meals a day works just fine too. As far as what would be better for you i can not say. What are your goals? How much weight do you want to lose and how long? Where are you at now?

In my opinion both are just fine as long as you are feeding your body the proper foods. but most importantly keeping yourself hydrated with TONS of water throughout the day. Water is the #1 key to weight loss.
  • Carm00
    Carm00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to find out exactly what foods are considered on the eating clean plan. Find different answers. Can you help?
  • nack_23
    Options

He was actually talking about protein powders. Athletes require more than 35 gr of protein per day. I am not a body builder by any means, but I workout daily, cardio and weight lifting and I look for about 60-80 gr of protein. In his book, Fuhrman was actually talking about some body builder dude, who was his patient, and he said that he has never had to replenish his body with protein shakes. He was talking about combination of some beans (I think lima and crowder) 2 servings per day, that would be more than enough to get your 80-100 gr. AND most importantly the fiber that moves through your intestinal tract that cleans and pulls all the **** down. No pun intended. :) Damn, I sound like I want to sell you this book. Sorry

Haha, It sounds like a great read. I will for sure check it out! Beans are such a great food. I prefer to get my protein from my food. Protein shakes are still good but, i would much rather eat a meal :)
  • nack_23
    Options
    I have been trying to find out exactly what foods are considered on the eating clean plan. Find different answers. Can you help?

Ive got a perfect list for ya :

Protein:

Tuna or most any fish.
    Cottage cheese.
    Eggs (especially the whites).
    Chicken breast (boneless skinless).
    Turkey breast (boneless skinless).
    Lean beef.
    Low fat or no fat cheese.
    Low fat pork.
    Milk protein isolate.
    Whey protein.
    Soy protein.
    Essentially most any other source of protein so long as it is low in saturated fat and carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates:

Sweet potatoes.
    Oat meal, oat bran, oat bran cereal (i.e. cheerios).
    Bran cereal.
    Brown rice.
    Wheat bread (try to limit to 2 slices per day).
    Beans.
    Low fat popcorn (low fat butter spray makes this a delicacy).
    Fruits (limit to 2-3 servings per day).
    Malto dextrin (during workout).
    Dextrose (during workout)
    Vegetables.
    Stay away from refined grains and anything that says “enriched” or “high fructose corn syrup” on the label!

Fat:

Omega 3 capsules (i.e. fish oil capsules).
    Flax seed oil.
    Primrose oil.
    Borage oil.
    Olive oil.
    Nuts (limit to 1 serving per day), peanut butter (as long as it does not contain hydrogenated oils).
    Egg yolks.
    Fish (salmon especially).
    All other fat should come as a by-product of your carbohydrate and protein intake.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Unfortunately that's going to answer is going to vary depending on who you ask.

Usually it means no processed foods.

As in if it had a face or grew from the ground you can eat it.
  • alexveksler
    Options

Thanks

May

They do say eating 6 smaller meals a day is better for keeping your metabolisim going. But, others would argue that 3 meals a day works just fine too. As far as what would be better for you i can not say. What are your goals? How much weight do you want to lose and how long? Where are you at now?

In my opinion both are just fine as long as you are feeding your body the proper foods. but most importantly keeping yourself hydrated with TONS of water throughout the day. Water is the #1 key to weight loss.

I agree with nack. Agrument 1: several small meals to keep thyroid glad work the metabolism non-stop throughout the day. Argument 2: less, but larger meals, to let thyroid glad rest between, so metabolism works "harder".
  • LauraCrossen
    LauraCrossen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, Im currently following a low carb lifestyle with lots of protein and good fats- Most of my carbs are coming from Vegetables. I dont eat any fruit as I have never really liked it, occasionally I will have berries in my protein shake, but I am very content just eating my veggies and fats and lots of meat :) I'm thinking of having a day off every now and again, specifically a weekend where If I wanted to go for a nice meal and have a few drinks then I could. Once I have lost another few pounds does anything think this would be a healthy way to maintain my weight and way of life or should I be looking at a more balanced approach? It does seem to be working for me! Thanks in advance Laura
  • nack_23
    Options
    Hi Everyone, Im currently following a low carb lifestyle with lots of protein and good fats- Most of my carbs are coming from Vegetables. I dont eat any fruit as I have never really liked it, occasionally I will have berries in my protein shake, but I am very content just eating my veggies and fats and lots of meat :) I'm thinking of having a day off every now and again, specifically a weekend where If I wanted to go for a nice meal and have a few drinks then I could. Once I have lost another few pounds does anything think this would be a healthy way to maintain my weight and way of life or should I be looking at a more balanced approach? It does seem to be working for me! Thanks in advance Laura

Cheat meals are just fine. Everything in moderation :) As long as you are consistent with your diet and workout routine you have nothing to worry about. Its when people turn it into cheat DAY or cheat WEEK lol it becomes a problem. But it sounds like you know what you are doing. Youve gotta have a social life too! I have never been a big drinker but, alcohol in moderation is very important. Empty calories are dietings worst nightmare!
  • LauraCrossen
    LauraCrossen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) Thats great advice...I agree. Its having the motivation to think right I need to get back on it today! Sorry just realised i posted in someones topic :S
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    <-- This girl would LOVE some eating clean advice!