was looking at a colleagues plate today and .....

Options
lol, this is so mean, but I was sitting in the canteen at work today with my soup and plate of rattaouille and some other healthy stuff when a colleague came and sat next to me. She had just been saying the other day that she was watching what she was eating as she had put on weight during the holidays. I glanced over at her plate and with my MFP mind started mentally calculating how many calories she was eating.....

I am not exaggerating, it came to over 1400!!!! She had roast potatoes, coleslaw, pasta with turkey burgers etc etc. Inside me I was like, ye, I used to eat like that and think I was on a diet too!!!!!

So happy that I not there anymore!!! thanks MFP

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    It still could be within that persons calorie goal, don't judge too harshly.:smile:
  • 4mydogs
    4mydogs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is just a tad judgemental. Everyone has thier own journey and nobody eats 100% perfect all the time. I find in this journey it is best to just focus on your choices and not worry about others.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    lol, this is so mean, but I was sitting in the canteen at work today with my soup and plate of rattaouille and some other healthy stuff when a colleague came and sat next to me. She had just been saying the other day that she was watching what she was eating as she had put on weight during the holidays. I glanced over at her plate and with my MFP mind started mentally calculating how many calories she was eating.....

I am not exaggerating, it came to over 1400!!!! She had roast potatoes, coleslaw, pasta with turkey burgers etc etc. Inside me I was like, ye, I used to eat like that and think I was on a diet too!!!!!

So happy that I not there anymore!!! thanks MFP
    You are happy that you became an elitist? Good job.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't think the original poster is being judgmental, just observing that the co-worker had said she was watching weight but that she noticed how calorie-heavy that co-worker's meal seemed. She ended the post by simply saying she was glad she's not doing that herself anymore. No harm no foul. In fact, it's probably a good thing that she can look at a plate and estimate calories. :-)

At the same time, I agree we can't jump to conclusions, because weight loss has to be gradual to be healthy, so those who have a longer journey have to eat more than those who have a shorter journey.

Maybe I sympathize more with the original poster because I am constantly noticing that many friends who are seriously overweight, and who complain about that fact, are constantly posting on Facebook their cell phone photos of super-rich foods they are eating at restaurants. I remind myself that it's none of my business what they eat, that anyway maybe it's a special treat, etc. But it's only human to notice things like this, especially when the way the country (U.S.) eats overall is outrageously unhealthy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I don't think the original poster is being judgmental, just observing that the co-worker had said she was watching weight but that she noticed how calorie-heavy that co-worker's meal seemed. She ended the post by simply saying she was glad she's not doing that herself anymore. No harm no foul. In fact, it's probably a good thing that she can look at a plate and estimate calories. :-)

At the same time, I agree we can't jump to conclusions, because weight loss has to be gradual to be healthy, so those who have a longer journey have to eat more than those who have a shorter journey.

Maybe I sympathize more with the original poster because I am constantly noticing that many friends who are seriously overweight, and who complain about that fact, are constantly posting on Facebook their cell phone photos of super-rich foods they are eating at restaurants. I remind myself that it's none of my business what they eat, that anyway maybe it's a special treat, etc. But it's only human to notice things like this, especially when the way the country (U.S.) eats overall is outrageously unhealthy.
    Point taken. :smile:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    That was my plate Sunday, except it was more than 1400 calories. Three kinds of meat, mashed potatoes, a salad, some veggies, and a slice of red velvet cake and a chocolate chip cookie. I was still under on calories at the end of the day. Diary's open if you want to judge.

Maybe she skipped breakfast. Not everyone diets at 1200 calories. And you don't know how much she worked out.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, I'm sorry... I didnt mean to be judgemental at all, and I'm sorry if people thought I was...

My point was just that I have "dieted" in the past and have had similar platefulls to her. NOw that I know calories etc I see where my possible mistakes were.... This woman was not grossly over weight at all, and she was dieting because seh wanted to rather than because she needed to.

I wasn't being elitist at all, merely making a point that I saw where my mistakes were...
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I know when I started eating healthy I was more aware of what others were eating as well. I don't think it's so much a judgement as just noticing since you have it on the brain more.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I judge all my coworkers by what they eat too
    And I judge peoples shopping carts

We should start a elitist group where we only let in people who eat morally superior to the common folk
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

We should start a elitist group where we only let in people who eat morally superior to the common folk

Ummm...we already did...we call it MFP (MY Fitness Prevails!)

To those of you who are saying that what the OP did was not judgmental...well...noticing what was on the plate and calculating the calories is one thing...running to the forums and making a post about it is a completely different story.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options

To those of you who are saying that what the OP did was not judgmental...well...noticing what was on the plate and calculating the calories is one thing...running to the forums and making a post about it is a completely different story.

Perhaps. I just thought the point of the post though was that she experienced a NSV in the sense that she's gained the knowledge from MFP to know how to lose weight whereas before she didn't.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, and that she wanted to share that moment here. Which now I'm sure she'll be completely discouraged from doing in the future.

I've only been on MFP for a few days, and I find there to be a heck of a lot more unnecessary snark on here than on Weight Watchers. 99% of the posters here are lovely, of course, but a small percentage seem to come here just to be unpleasant. Almost every thread I've been in has some nasty remark.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Lol it's good I am thick skinned!!! I merely posted it to say woohoo I am able to check portion control!! If it makes u feel better to put other people down, I'm happy to be the object of your abuse.... Hope that u have done the damage u need to do to avoid insulting people on here who may actually be discouraged by your words
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    Hmmm. If this was her plate every.single.day then I could see your line of thinking. However, there is just days where we want to eat more! And who knows what kind of workout she has lined up. If she's torching 500+ calories, then a 1,400 cal meal wouldn't be such a big deal. It would net out at 900 calories.

She could just be figuring things out now. I remember when I first started losing weight, I ate like crap. I figured if it has veggies in it, was a chunk of cheese and wasn't fried then it was good for calories. We all learn along the way. None of us get fat by keeping great habits.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Dont worry, I judge what ppl eat all the time too now :P
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It still could be within that persons calorie goal, don't judge too harshly.:smile:

Yep, if you work at Marvel Universe and the Juggernaut is your co-worker!?! lol
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Her lunch sounded delicious