How to eat more protein?

Options
124»

Replies

• JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh 146 lbs and my lean body mass is 105lbs. This is how I know it's way too much for my frame although some would say I am fine as I am. I am SOOOO flabby around the upper arms, boobs, bum and thighs and it's not just a little fat, it's a lot. I know that having been a lot lighter before (122 lbs was the lowest I can remember) and even then while I trained 6 days a week and ate well I still had a body fat percentage of around 30% there is something I am doing wrong.

Let's say that realistically (as I've used a combination of scales and calipers plus body measurements to see my current percentage) that I am about anything from 30-35% which is highly likely that means I have a lot of fat to lose.

I know that the general consensus is to eat more calories but having done that in the past and gained a lot of scale weight along with more and more fat I think that isn't the answer for me. Sorry I was wrong about my maintainance calories, it was my BMR that was actually 1450 calories.

Also having trained twice a day doing cardio and weights in my home gym in the past I know that isn't enough on its own either. So that's why I'm trying to up my protein intake and reduce my carbs and hopefully I will be able to see the results I want.

It's quite hard to find low calorie/high protein foods at a reasonable price here so I don't have the options that I'd have in the UK. I think I'll try and eat more tinned fish like tuna and sardines which are relatively inexpensive along with lean chicken although I find that very hard to stomach as a snack. I usually buy laughing cow and yes I think that's good for snacks as it's low cal. I don't like too many artificial foods so I always keep eggs in the fridge plus I have nuts and lean ham in the house so hopefully that will be enough.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When you say you have gained weight, how long did you do the program. It can take up to six months to repair a metabolism that has been suppressed for years. It also requires an exercise routine that consist of heavy weight lifting and moderate cardio. Yes, you may gain some weight, but if you slowly increase calories (200 a week or two) until you set a plateau in weight gain then you would be amazed by how much you can eat. A lot of it is also mental. If you don't believe that food is a fuel source and is a necessity to training, then you can get past those hurdles.

I believe, and I could be wrong, that you seem to have tried to increase calories, gained a little water weight (due to additional carbs causing addition glycogen storage) and assumed it was fat increases. I can tell you, if your ultimate goal is to cut fat, you will struggle to do it at <1000 calories a day.

The majority of people with low body fat on this board alone consistently eat higher calories. Many around 2000. You to remember, it's inefficient to have a lot of muscle as it has great caloric requirements. At this point, you are probably considered skinny fat (high body fat, low weight) because all the muscle damage that has been caused.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results?hl=caloric+intake+results&page=1#posts-5425208

Also, if your BMR is 1450, there is NO way you can gain fat at 1300 calories. You probably start to gain fat around 2000-2400 calories. What you need to do is slowly increase calories until you hit around 1800 and regulate your RMR.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When you say you have gained weight, how long did you do the program. It can take up to six months to repair a metabolism that has been suppressed for years. It also requires an exercise routine that consist of heavy weight lifting and moderate cardio. Yes, you may gain some weight, but if you slowly increase calories (200 a week or two) until you set a plateau in weight gain then you would be amazed by how much you can eat. A lot of it is also mental. If you don't believe that food is a fuel source and is a necessity to training, then you can get past those hurdles.

I believe, and I could be wrong, that you seem to have tried to increase calories, gained a little water weight (due to additional carbs causing addition glycogen storage) and assumed it was fat increases. I can tell you, if your ultimate goal is to cut fat, you will struggle to do it at <1000 calories a day.

The majority of people with low body fat on this board alone consistently eat higher calories. Many around 2000. You to remember, it's inefficient to have a lot of muscle as it has great caloric requirements. At this point, you are probably considered skinny fat (high body fat, low weight) because all the muscle damage that has been caused.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results?hl=caloric+intake+results&page=1#posts-5425208

Also, if your BMR is 1450, there is NO way you can gain fat at 1300 calories. You probably start to gain fat around 2000-2400 calories. What you need to do is slowly increase calories until you hit around 1800 and regulate your RMR.

QFT

OP, if you continue to destroy your metabolism, upping your protein will not help.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I wasn't following a programme, it was just the way I was eating and have eaten for the past 9 years since I initially lost weight in 2002 to get to 122 lbs. I have found that month by month my weight has always crept back up by eating the way I've described. Then I've had to try and get it under control again so I do what I'm doing now in order to get back there.

The last time I got my weight down to 124lbs was in 2010. It took me around 5 months from memory to get from around where I am now to that weight and I kept it off for about only a short time back then, although initially when I got down to 122lbs in 2002 it stayed off for around 3 years before it started creeping up slowly.
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Eggs (whites if you're watching fat closely), low sodium lunch meets, skim milk, and chicken.... they are low in fat and calories, but pack a good amount of protein.
  • downpound
    Options
    I make protein shakes twice a day. Once in the morning with breakfast and again after my workout.. If you make the protein shakes with water only it is between 130-150 calories
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Snack on cold chicken or cold pork loin... broil or bake it, cut it into chunks and zip-loc bag it.

Almond butter or peanut butter with apples..
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Liquid egg whites added to a smoothie of frozen blueberries are unoticable and blueberries are pretty low carb. Take the grilled or baked chicken, toss with some greek yogurt (I mix the yogurt with hidden valley ranch dip mix) and roll in a low carb tortilla.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I can't stand whey protein shakes but I like soy just fine. If you've only ever tried one kind, try the other in case you end up liking it. Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are great, and both good for snacks. A handful of almonds or other nuts is also good. Also, switch to brown rice instead of white, or use quinoa, and you'll get a little more protein in your regular meals, too.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You said you must be doing something wrong. You are actually. You have destroyed your lean body mass and metabolism. It would be very mentally hard for you, but it sounds like you need a complete metabolism reset. Where you eat at your TDEE for many, MANY weeks, then slowly start cutting by a tiny amount to see where you will start to lose fat. Just my humble opinion. I have no degrees in nutrition, just been there too, and have seen many others struggle just like you are.:flowerforyou:
  • silversnake84
    silversnake84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I didn't see any posts about fish. Do you like fish?
    Also, edamame (MMM)
    and i do the egg white international for my protein shakes (pasturized egg whites) ..better tasting than whey
  • Fightin2GetFit
    Fightin2GetFit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I currently drink 2 protein shakes (17g of protein each) but am looking for a more efficient way since I don't eat much meat or chicken. I found this protein powder that has 50g of protein per serving. It's about $40.00 for 21 servings (so it's $1.90 each shake). It seems expensive up front but it may be cheaper in the long run. It's called Isopure - they have a low-carb version and a zero-carb version. I haven't tried either one so I'm not sure about the taste. Best of luck :)

http://www.advantagesupplements.com/bnatbeslowca.html
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh 146 lbs and my lean body mass is 105lbs. This is how I know it's way too much for my frame although some would say I am fine as I am. I am SOOOO flabby around the upper arms, boobs, bum and thighs and it's not just a little fat, it's a lot. I know that having been a lot lighter before (122 lbs was the lowest I can remember) and even then while I trained 6 days a week and ate well I still had a body fat percentage of around 30% there is something I am doing wrong.

Let's say that realistically (as I've used a combination of scales and calipers plus body measurements to see my current percentage) that I am about anything from 30-35% which is highly likely that means I have a lot of fat to lose.

I know that the general consensus is to eat more calories but having done that in the past and gained a lot of scale weight along with more and more fat I think that isn't the answer for me. Sorry I was wrong about my maintainance calories, it was my BMR that was actually 1450 calories.

Also having trained twice a day doing cardio and weights in my home gym in the past I know that isn't enough on its own either. So that's why I'm trying to up my protein intake and reduce my carbs and hopefully I will be able to see the results I want.

My hunch is you have not done the right combination of diet and exercise consistently. Training twice a day or six days a week is not going to build lean muscle for most people, it's the fastest way to break down muscle because you are not taking enough rest and your body doesn't have the chance to repair and refuel, stress hormones can be high (cut muscle, hold fat). As you have identified excessive exercise won't work give you a hard body on its own: it's generally agreed that results are about 80% diet and 20% training. Those that train twice daily (sports people, bodybuilders for competition or figure athletes) are incredibly regimented about their nutrition alongside and periodise their training, and many still get injured or end up with overtraining syndrome. IME most regular adults cannot consistently train intensively more than about four times a week for up to one hour.

I already suggested you do an intense strength training alongside eating more, you came back saying you were exercising for half an hour regularly - you didn't say it was an intense strength routine and I already know you are not eating right to fuel such a routine anyway. It feels like you just want to tweak something that actually is not working for you, you are not open to making real changes. The key thing to increase your metabolism is to gain muscle mass, that may involve gaining some weight or maintaining and always involves being in a calorie surplus some of the time. If you are focussed on getting both the scale number and the calorie count low you will inevitably lose more muscle, reduce your metabolism even further and become flabbier, it's basic biology.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    If your body fat is too high, it would seem you are burning muscle not fat with such a low calorie diet.

It will catch up to you, I promise. It is hard to up your protein without adding calories.
  • sdomski1
    Options
    CAUTION!!! Protein shakes contain a lot of sugar... 3 egg whites contain more protein than a serving of protein powder typically.... When my mom was still here she had a very low potassium level and I went on MayoClinic website to get a list of high potassium foods.... you may want to do the same:):) Variety is the spice of life and it keeps you from getting bored. I know legumes are a great source:):)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    CAUTION!!! Protein shakes contain a lot of sugar... 3 egg whites contain more protein than a serving of protein powder typically.... When my mom was still here she had a very low potassium level and I went on MayoClinic website to get a list of high potassium foods.... you may want to do the same:):) Variety is the spice of life and it keeps you from getting bored. I know legumes are a great source:):)

Only the crappy ones contain a lot of sugar. EAS, body fortress, GNC and many others are just 1g. Now if you look at meal replacement shakes like slim fast, special K, and others, then yes, they are loaded with sugar. But even then, sugar is NOT bad for you. It's a carb and if you have it in moderation, you will still lose weight.

I do agree, you want to eat a lot of potassium, magnesium and even sodium as they are the major electrolytes.