Weekends are so hard!

Options
Here's my predicament:
During the weekdays I stick to my eating plan, almost always staying under my calories. I also take time to go to the gym 2-3 times a day. When Friday rolls around it seems like all my willpower flies out the window. My boyfriend and/or friends want to go out to dinner, happy hour and/or have late night drinks. This is still relatively my "play years" and I don't want to deprive myself by haing to constantly monitor myself when people are having a good time. I also don't want to be "that girl" who says she can't go to a certain restaurant/etc. because she's on a diet. How can I best compromise?
Take this weekend for instance:
I have a 7-8 mile mountain hike planned for most of the day Saturday. My roommate, boyfriend, etc will be going with me so we have all talked about taking it easy today and having a night in at the house. My roommate tends to be healthy too so the bbqing will be something like chicken and veggies. I know wine will be out and in abundance but knowing that I have a long hike early the next morning will help. As for Sunday my boyfriend has already talked about taking me out to lunch somewhere yummy and I am such a foodie that I can't complain. I'm sure I can pick something that is relatively healthy.
That is the plan for the weekend but it seems once I am surrounded with and in a good atmosphere I don't stick to any plan.

Does anyone else have this problem and how do they deal with it?

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Allow yourself one cheat meal a week. I do this and it helps keep me motivated throughout the week. One meal won't undo everything you did all week. Sometimes a cheat will actually boost your metabolism.
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I also have one cheat day! I have the same isues you do. Weekends are full of happy hours, BBQ's and parties. I do know in the past once I get down to my goal weight and keep my exercise routine on track, I can eat and have drinks on the weekend without gaining weight. It's during the cutting of calories that I have to pick only one night to cheat. TGIF
  • SIZE28
    SIZE28 Posts: 7
    Options
    I am strict during the week but the weekends always include snacks, lots of wine, and often a calorie packed breakfast at a restaurant. I usually don't work out on the weekends either. Even with my calories often nearing the 3000 mark on the weekends (normally weekday is under 1400) I have still managed to lose 7 pounds in a month. So being said maybe i won't lose weight as rapidly as others but I am still losing weight and enjoying life. If I were to restrict food and wine all the time my diet would fail, so as long as you are still losing weight, why not enjoy your weekends. You have to do what works for you, otherwise you will set yourself up to fail.
  • SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree, allow yourself to cheat a little and don't beat yourself up about it! I find that whenever I tell myself I can't have or do something I just want to all that much more. And you could always invite all your friends over to your place and make your own low-calorie drinks like Hungry Girl's Magical Low-Calorie Margarita! You can find the recipe here http://www.hungry-girl.com/week/weeklydetails.php?isid=869. Hope this helps!
  • Berliner
    Berliner Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    mine too. It is hard to stick to the plan with family even...movies, eating out etc...

I do allow myself one day a week to eat what I like, but still try not to go over board. Also, if you stay under your calorie goal every day (let's say 100 each day) then you have 500 to play with. That would be your glass of wine and a small something for the sweet tooth.
    i kind of think like WW since they have the points you can calculate in by the end of the week (the ones you did not use). But stay focused.
    i have to so it this weekend myself. We can do it!!! lol
  • mysometimeisnow
    Options
    It's good to know that I'm not the only one feeling this way! I will try to stop feeling so guilty and allow myself to have a meal here or there and a few drinks without worrying that it will sabotage my results. I need to realize that it's not all about losing the weight but maintaining a healthy yet livable life. Thanks!
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thats why my weigh in day is Friday....makes me feel good going into the weekend, also allows me Sunday - Thursday for damage control :)
  • mysometimeisnow
    Options
    Although I weight myself throughout the week, Monday is my weigh in day. I think that's one of the reasons I feel so bad after the weekend! I might start using Friday as my official weigh in day.
  • TheOriginalDiggum
    Options
    I've been belly-aching about the weekends since I've started MFP. I'm well-trained during the weekdays and Friday afternoon, I start thinking about what's on "greedy menu" for the weekend. It took me a about a month and half before I conditioned myself to simply exercise as soon as I get up Saturday morning for an hour and pretty much eat whatever I want (without going overboard...have done that about 4 times) the rest of the weekend.

Long story short, it seems as if majority who have responded have a cheat day and it's working for all of us...as long as we continue to exercise during the weekdays. I wish you well and have a wonderful weekend.
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Another thing that could help, is when you are drink your wine or other adult beverages, have a glass of water in between. So you are still enjoying yourself with your pals and indulging, but you are also helping to flush some of it out and fill you up. :-) Remember, lifestyle not diet.

I always say you DIE on a DIE-T but you can have a LIFE with a better LIFE-STYLE :-)
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thats why my weigh in day is Friday....makes me feel good going into the weekend, also allows me Sunday - Thursday for damage control :)

That's what i do!!!
  • BrandyHuff
    Options
    You should not feel guilty about having a little extra on the weekends. Being able to do this is what motivates me during the week. I almost never eat all of my calories during the week and exercise 5 days a week (M-F) so basically I have banked calories that I can use on the weekend. This may not work for everyone, but so far it has been effective for me. The funny thing is, the longer I diet, the more I find myself wanting to eat less on the weekends.
  • mysometimeisnow
    Options
    Another thing that could help, is when you are drink your wine or other adult beverages, have a glass of water in between. So you are still enjoying yourself with your pals and indulging, but you are also helping to flush some of it out and fill you up. :-) Remember, lifestyle not diet.

I always say you DIE on a DIE-T but you can have a LIFE with a better LIFE-STYLE :-)

I def don't drink enough water while drinking wine/beer so that is a good idea. Thanks!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider, is to make smarter choices when you eat out. Compromise with yourself. Choose grilled instead of fried when you can. Substitute as salad or steamed veggies for french fries. If you LOVE french fries, then get them, but have something healthier, like grilled chicken, as the entree. Watch out of add-ons. Skip cheese, sour cream and other high-calorie toppings when you can.For adult beverages, be concious of what is in them. Choose smarter mixers - use sparkling water, diet sodas, crystal light, etc. instead of having a traditional margarita, or a mudslide.

You can still enjoy yourself without going crazy.