Confusing HRM

Options
So for Christmas I got a heart rate monitor. I asked for this so I could be more accurate in finding out how many calories I burn during my workout. I was reading directions and it seems this heart rate monitor figures in your BMR. So I am assuming you are supposed to wear this hrm all day? If that is the case could I just wear it during my workouts and still get an accurate reading for what I burned during the workout?

Sorry, I'm new to the hrm thing. I have always went off what the calorie counter on the machine told me but figured out it wasn't the most accurate reading in the world. I know nothing is perfect when calculating calories burned but I would like to be as accurate as possible.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    HRMs are designed to give you calorie estimations during steady-state cardio/aerobic exercise. I don't know which model you have, but regular HRMs are not designed to be worn all day and tell you your BMR.

Here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • Collidoscopekid
    Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    HRMs are designed to give you calorie estimations during steady-state cardio/aerobic exercise. I don't know which model you have, but regular HRMs are not designed to be worn all day and tell you your BMR.

Here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

That is what I thought and what I wanted the hrm for, just for work outs, but the directions specifically say it factors in your bmr. When I picked out this hrm no where did it say it online that it also used your brm but when I started reading the directions it says that is does.

My big question is can I just wear it during workouts and figure out how many calories I burned or is it going to look like I burned more than I actually did because it is factoring in my brm too?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you've misunderstood what the directions are saying. When they say they factor in your BMR, that means the calories burned do not include the calories you would've burned just existing.

For example. My BMR is 1500 so approx 62.5 calories per hour. When my HRM says I burned 400 calories during my hour walk, this does not include the 62.5 calories so no further calculation is needed.

Most HRMs are for workout use only. Just curious, what HRM did you get?
  • Collidoscopekid
    Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you've misunderstood what the directions are saying. When they say they factor in your BMR, that means the calories burned do not include the calories you would've burned just existing.

For example. My BMR is 1500 so approx 62.5 calories per hour. When my HRM says I burned 400 calories during my hour walk, this does not include the 62.5 calories so no further calculation is needed.

Most HRMs are for workout use only. Just curious, what HRM did you get?

The directions say:"Calorie Genius tracks calories burned from exercise AND from metabolic functions like breathing,sleeping, and even thinking.By combining both, you will have a complete picture of TOTAL amount of calories you burn each day."

It is a sportline heart rate monitor.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ok, my bad, I made assumptions based on the kind of HRM I'm used to...

There are several models of the Sportline brand. Can you tell which one you have?
    With more info, I may be able to help you figure this out.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    The "calories burned" will include your BMR. It can't separate out the calories used for breathing and being alive from the extra calories used for the actual exercise.

Read that Link.