Low Weight/High Reps vs. High Weight/Low Reps

Options
Hey MFP. This is my first post, and please forgive me if this has already been addressed. My doctor told me that she didn't really want me to lose anymore weight. So my goal is fat loss, while maintaining my weight. I would really like to gain a muscle and see some changes in my body. Should I accomplish this by lifting low weights with high reps or high weights with low reps. I feel like I get mixed messages. Any advice?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I don't see where you can get mixed messages on this topic, us women here are all advocates of lifting heavy/less reps for muscle growth and overall hotness! Especially if you aren't trying to lose any more weight!
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't see where you can get mixed messages on this topic, us women here are all advocates of lifting heavy/less reps for muscle growth and overall hotness! Especially if you aren't trying to lose any more weight!

THIS!!!

You can also check out Bodybuilding.com for great info on lifting! :D
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I CAN see where you get mixed messages on the subject. Everyone is different.

Just know this and you can decide what you want for yourself:

Lower (not LOW) weight/higher reps (15-20 reps) is used for muscular endurance (how long you can lift something)

Higher weight/lower reps (anywhere from 5-12, depending on weight) is used for gaining strength.

Both will get your stronger in the beginning, but only higher weight/lower reps will get your stronger faster and more consistently.

Both will "tone" you up. But remember, both take time. Weight lifting is a lifestyle, by no means is it a quick fix to get "toned" fast.
  • Shannon16385
    Options
    I've actually just started the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" recommended by a lot of women weight lifters for beginners.

The goal is to lift 3x per week.
    It starts off with 2 sets/15 reps each (only the first two weeks) and by week 7/8 increases to 3 sets/ 8 reps for each excercise.

I would recommend looking into different weight lifting plans and find the one you think you're capable of doing and has proven results.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

THIS!!!

You can also check out Bodybuilding.com for great info on lifting! :D

+1

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    There is no this vs that....do both!
    Alternate your resistance routines and earn the benefits of each.
    Personally, I see much more value in endurance because of the sports I engage.
    At day's end it's all your choice.
    Good Luck :smile:
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I work with a personal trainer and I do both :)

I start with High Weight and low reps/sets, then the same weight low reps more sets, then the same weight more reps more sets. Then we increase the weight and start all over again. Works for me, I'm building strength, endurance and losing body fat but my actual scale weight hasn't changed.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Lower (not LOW) weight/higher reps (15-20 reps) is used for muscular endurance (how long you can lift something)

Higher weight/lower reps (anywhere from 5-12, depending on weight) is used for gaining strength.

Both will get your stronger in the beginning, but only higher weight/lower reps will get your stronger faster and more consistently.

Both will "tone" you up. But remember, both take time. Weight lifting is a lifestyle, by no means is it a quick fix to get "toned" fast.

My mixed messages came from various places. My goal is to really see some changes in my body. Thanks for your response. Very helpful.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I really thought you had to do one or the other. I didn't realize you could perform both for great results. My current routine has been performing 3 sets with fairly low (l5 lbs dumbbells) and 12-15 reps for my bicep and tricep exercises. However, I haven't seen any real results with my muscle tone and not even any soreness/fatigue after my workouts. That is why I started questioning my weight lifting routine. The heavy weights I lift have only been for my leg exercises.
  • shelle2k75
    shelle2k75 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

This was very helpful. I received mix messages as well. I have a better understanding now.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I really thought you had to do one or the other. I didn't realize you could perform both for great results. My current routine has been performing 3 sets with fairly low (l5 lbs dumbbells) and 12-15 reps for my bicep and tricep exercises. However, I haven't seen any real results with my muscle tone and not even any soreness/fatigue after my workouts. That is why I started questioning my weight lifting routine. The heavy weights I lift have only been for my leg exercises.

Try compound barbell lifts with an actual appropriate weight for each lift