Am I taking enough calories?!?!

Options
Some of my co workers have been telling me that I do not eat enough calories and that it could be hindering my weight loss... I have lost 23lbs in 30 days and am pretty please with my success thus far (especially since I just started even working out) What do you guys think? Should I increase my calories!?!? I do not go hungry i eat alot! Appreciate any and all advice and constructive criticism :) My diary is public. I feel like I've been making alot of good choice. Basically eating everything made from scratch and fresh ingredients. Not a particular type of diet just a lifestyle change more so) For the past two weeks I've been doing at least 40 minutes of cardio daily, I am hungrier than I was prior to working out but in the past 30 days have only eating over my personal 1,200 calorie goal 3 times. Also i am VERY out of shape! I am gradually noticing it is becoming easier to exercise ( I EVEN WAS ABLE TO JOG AGAIN!!!!!) I have not set any official long term goals but have stated that I want to get in better shape so that I can make attainable fitness goals i.e 5K etc

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    When you complete your entry for a day, a note should pop up that states you are not eating enough calories, if you aren't.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Yes are consistently under by a lot on your calories. You should also be adding in your exercise.
    23lbs in 30 days is too fast.
  • l3uttel2flie
    Options
    ok! Thanks a bunch! My diary has NEVER told em that :) that makes me feel better. Also I was confused when I did a nutrition report for 30 days... 3 days had calorie deficits.... is that bad? I guessed I just exercised so much those days I burned everything that I ate?
  • l3uttel2flie
    Options
    @ KatWood: Do you mean eating my exercise calories.... I have been logging in my exercise. I just started exercising and have logged each time that I did.
  • DamienRiceFan
    Options
    I think your body will end up going into starvation mode if it hasn't already. I would feel sluggish & moody with that few calories.
  • mtremmel
    mtremmel Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes, you need more calories. Losing that much weight that quickly is not healthy. I know it's exciting to see the number on the scale go down. But you're first priority is to be healthy.
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you go under 1200 calories on a continued basis, seems like you would not get enough nutrition from food. Your body really needs the calories for energy and to maintain muscle. If Idon't eat enough exercise is much harder for me. Try a handfull of nuts if you have a lot of calories left over at the end of the day. They are calorie dense and have protien and "good' fats. YOu may hit a serious plateau if you continue to eat so few calories.
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    I just had a quick look at your food diary. I notice on some days you only have around 800 calories. That is much too low. 1200 should be the absolute minimum you should be eating, you need that much in order to give your body enough nutrition for its needs. You've done really well but be careful of falling into the trap of losing too much too quickly because it will go on again once you start eating properly. Additionally if you are exercising heavily, which you state you are, you need to fuel your body to cope with the stress. I fell into the same trap of eating little and exercising heaps and have become deficient in vitamin b12 which is causing me all sorts of problems, so I would urge you to fuel your body properly.
  • lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options
    ok! Thanks a bunch! My diary has NEVER told em that :) that makes me feel better. Also I was confused when I did a nutrition report for 30 days... 3 days had calorie deficits.... is that bad? I guessed I just exercised so much those days I burned everything that I ate?

Are you hitting the "complete this entry" button at the bottom of your diary? Because that is when the site gives a message in red that you went below 1200 calories. The 3 days of calorie deficits mean you went under the 1200 calories on 3 days.
  • l3uttel2flie
    Options
    @ Lily: I've never seen the message in red... but I was only using this application on my phone at the beginning and now have started logging onto the computer and recently started hitting the complete this entry button. I don't remember ever seeing a warning in red....
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    23 pounds in 30 days is too fast. Eat your 1200 plus your exercise calories. The weight loss won't be as fast but will be easier to stick with and easier to maintain.
  • l3uttel2flie
    Options
    Yes are consistently under by a lot on your calories. You should also be adding in your exercise.
    23lbs in 30 days is too fast.

I was VERY overweight and not exercising or making good food choices before starting this. I only recently started exercising and never let myself go hungry. I am not starving myself or crash dieting.... just making a lifestyle change. I used to eat like this all of the time and had lost all of the weight I had gained during my pregnancy.... but then I stopped exercising and stopped eating healthy. Alot of that weight was water weight and me not being regular (colon).
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    You can listen to other people's advice or you can do it your way. The choice is yours. What I can tell you is that now I maintain on 1700 cals a day. I've not ever been this healthy or looked this good. I've dieted like you have in the past and I can honestly say that this way is better. I never get hungry. I never feel deprived and I'm eating more than I've ever been able to eat and still look and feel wonderful. If you're consistently eating under your 1200 cals, you're setting yourself up for a major binge eating session.
  • upsy
    upsy Posts: 42
    Options
    it depends.. only you know your body the best
    ive been there twice - counted kcal on my own after first child (not huge fan of excersising, but still had long walks and moderate cycling), i did it for 6 mths, to be sure i learn how much i eat (everything was fantastic for couple years, no weight gain, until i fell in love with blueberry mufins). So i know, that my limit with moderate excersising is 1000 kcal. At that amount i will keep my weight and wouldnt loose any more, just to keep me running. I was full with energy. If i ate just one extra icecream, very next day i would see it on the scales and it wouldnt disapear - i would need to work out hard! No dieting, nothing crazy, just kcal counting.

Now im on the same record - i eat ~ 1000 for myself + extra 400 for breastfeeding, but i dont panic if one day it will be 1000, next 1800, cause only protein for me matters - if i ate enough protein for day, i dont bother eating more, if im not hungry.
    Im in control over mufins now :D Just changing habbits towards healthier food, my goal is to be healthy and get all vitamins and minerals from my food, thats why i have loads leaves (salad, beetroot etc), nuts, seed sprouts, greens, seeds in my diet - they are not rich in calories, but very healthy, rich in vitamins, minerals, oils.
    p.s. im still overweight, but i DONT have cellulite anymore :p
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I agree, 23 lbs lost in 30 days is a lot. That is almost a pound a day. I looked at about a week's worth of your food diary and most days you were under 1200 calories. If you are working out for 40 mins everyday then not eating at least your 1200 calories plus a little more is dangerous. Though you may be seeing results, in the long run it won't be good for you. Healthy weight loss takes time.
  • fanifee
    fanifee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat your minimum always taking into account your activities.
    However, rapid weight loss during the first month is not unheard of. I have lost 14lbs in the past 12 days but I know that most of its fluid and that it will slow down. It is also a reflection of how much I was previously eating.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I would definitely eat more if I were you.

It looks like one day you only ate around 900 calories and burned off 1100!

I know 1200 as the minimum is recommended, but even taking into account that everyone is a little different, eating between 800-900 calories and burning off 200-300, which it looks like you do pretty consistently is not enough. Eventually your energy will get drained (and I know I would be irritable as H*LL!) and you'll plateau sooner than if you ate more food.

I know it sounds wonky to say "eat more to lose weight," but I recently upped my base calories from 1200 to 1350 and my weight loss has increased this week. :) Your body loves food and proper nutrition!
  • l3uttel2flie
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I have eaten alot more than usual today and am STUFFED!!!!!! but i am going to try and increase my calorie intake as well as increasing my physical activity as it becomes easier.