New To Gym...Best Machines to use to aid weight loss?

Options
Hello all,

So I literally just joined a gym yesterday and I want to go in with some idea of what to do first. I need to lose 75 lbs. I'm a beginner basically haven't been to the gym since 2007 and didn't have the best guidance then, but I'm willing and ready to sweat! Just wanted to know the best machines to use and workouts to get optimal workout and to shed some lbs! What helped or worked for you?

Replies

• Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but I'll tell you what has been working for me. I started about 3-4 months ago.

I started by going in and getting on a treadmill, just set the thing at a pace where I would get an elevated heartrate and break a sweat. After the first week of doing that for 30 minutes at a crack, I jumped it up to an hour each time (or 45 mins, depending on how l was sitting for time). Then, after that I would do a set of crunches/situps.

I kept this up for about another 2 weeks, so now I was about 3 weeks in. That is when I added strength exercises. I started like on the treadmill, with just a few basics (grabbed some dumbells and did some curls), then got on the machines and did some basic presses, upright rows, tricep extensions, leg presses, leg curls and leg extensions. I rotate so that I get 2 days of upper body lifting, 2 days of lower body, and 1-2 days focusing on abdominals each week.

Good luck, and just take what people on here say or suggest, and make your schedule one that YOU like and that YOU will stick with. Just my own opinion, but start slowly and work into it. Everytime I've tried to go "all in" all at once in the early days, I end up getting frustrated and drop out within a couple of months. This is the long haul, and you will get there.

Also, I learned to not weigh in for the whole first month, because its tooo easy to get frustrated when you have a 5 lb loss one week, and a 1 lb gain the next (which seems to happen to me a lot in the early stages when I have a lot to lose). After the first month or two, I've found that I tend to even out more, and its easier to handle the no-loss weeks when you see yourself looking better in the mirror and being able to last longer in the gym and push yourself harder.

Again.....just my two cents
  • Hirgy03
    Options
    Oh yeah, and listen to the people on here that say you need to know your TDEE and BMI, somebody will link you the article to read on here about figuring out how much you need to eat every day. It is counter-intuitive, but you need to eat a certain minimum amount of food/calories in order to actually lose weight. I found out that one of my issues was that I wasn't eating enough.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    For me personally the machines get boring really fast. So I try to do 15 to 20 minutes on the eliptical, then the treadmill and lastely the stationary bike. You might want to try a group exercise class, too. They are fun and really help motivate me! If you don't have one, get yourself an MP3 player, music really helps you keep moving on the machines. Best of luck to you!
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    P.S. spin classes burn a ton of calories! The first couple of times you will hate it, your butt will be sore and you will feel like you can't keep up, but trust me, you will burn calories and it is really a fun class. I am totally addicted now to spin class now.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

So I literally just joined a gym yesterday and I want to go in with some idea of what to do first. I need to lose 75 lbs. I'm a beginner basically haven't been to the gym since 2007 and didn't have the best guidance then, but I'm willing and ready to sweat! Just wanted to know the best machines to use and workouts to get optimal workout and to shed some lbs! What helped or worked for you?

Get your diet on point first
  • Hirgy03
    Options
    Hello all,

Excellent point! I did this adjustment for about a month before I even began to go to the gym
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Before going, check this out to make sure you're eating enough: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

then, if possible meet with a personal trainer there (most gyms let you meet a trainer free once or twice) and have them show you the machines. Most machines have pictures on them of which muscles they'll work and how to use them. If they don't, ask someone you using it (most people will help, as long as you don't ask while they're in the middle of a rep)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any knees issues give the Stepmill a try. It's the best cardio machine out there IMO. The one at my Rec Center is never used - I think people are afraid of it. LOL

Someone also mentioned Spin Class which is a great workout and a lot of fun. The biggest thing is finding something YOU like to do. If you enjoy doing something, then you'll stick with it.
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Do what you are comfortable with. Don't be afraid to ask any available trainers for help. Get in some cardio in any form you like. Try to get your heart pumping for at least 30 minutes. Don't be afraid of the weight machines. Good luck!
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but I'll tell you what has been working for me. I started about 3-4 months ago.

I started by going in and getting on a treadmill, just set the thing at a pace where I would get an elevated heartrate and break a sweat. After the first week of doing that for 30 minutes at a crack, I jumped it up to an hour each time (or 45 mins, depending on how l was sitting for time). Then, after that I would do a set of crunches/situps.

I kept this up for about another 2 weeks, so now I was about 3 weeks in. That is when I added strength exercises. I started like on the treadmill, with just a few basics (grabbed some dumbells and did some curls), then got on the machines and did some basic presses, upright rows, tricep extensions, leg presses, leg curls and leg extensions. I rotate so that I get 2 days of upper body lifting, 2 days of lower body, and 1-2 days focusing on abdominals each week.

Good luck, and just take what people on here say or suggest, and make your schedule one that YOU like and that YOU will stick with. Just my own opinion, but start slowly and work into it. Everytime I've tried to go "all in" all at once in the early days, I end up getting frustrated and drop out within a couple of months. This is the long haul, and you will get there.

Also, I learned to not weigh in for the whole first month, because its tooo easy to get frustrated when you have a 5 lb loss one week, and a 1 lb gain the next (which seems to happen to me a lot in the early stages when I have a lot to lose). After the first month or two, I've found that I tend to even out more, and its easier to handle the no-loss weeks when you see yourself looking better in the mirror and being able to last longer in the gym and push yourself harder.

^^^^ This

I went in with the same mentality. My first couple of weeks in my gym were 30 min trips, just to sweat a little and get an elevated heart rate. Then I slowly added in the strength training based "i can do this" trying different things. Eventually I read the book "The New Rules of Lifting" (yes there is womens version) which essentially tells you that there are 6 basic functions you need to live. As long as you train those functions, you will be good.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eat at a deficit and use any machine that you will stick with.

although i'm partial to the squat rack
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options

^^^
    Good advice, keep it slow and fun at first especially. I find that my Heart Rate Monitor keeps me going back.
  • Amymclaugh
    Options
    The best advice I was given was to go in with an open mind. Every machine or class will help as long as you like it, but it may take 2 or 3 times for you to enjoy (hahaha) and see or feel the benefit. You have to find what fits you and your abilities/lifestyle best.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and look for this machine at your gym

squatrack.jpg
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    same as he posted, only better (and safer)

power_rack.jpg
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Take it slow at first so you don't get discouraged. Walking on the treadmill is good. The elliptical is nice too - there's no impact so it doesn't hurt your knees. Even a stationary bike is fine (I find it boring though). Stairmasters are tougher and harder on knees, as is running.

Whatever you choose to do, play around with mixing up your intensity - either by a preset "program" or manually. It helps keep things interesting and makes for a better workout. You can do "intervals" where you go faster for a bit, then go slow again. It helps get your heart-rate up and improve your fitness level.

I enjoy creating different playlists for my iPod to help deal with the boredom. Also, set goals for yourself... you can put all your info (weight, age, etc) and it will calculate your calorie burn. My goal is 500 calories. Maybe you can start at 300 calories and see how you feel. It's fun to try to achieve your goal.

I totally agree with everyone who is saying get your diet right first. When I counted how many calories I was eating, I discovered I was eating nearly 2,000 more calories than I should be eating. It was a eye-opening moment for me. Since then I've lost 35 pounds. I try not to eat back the calories I burn at the gym - I like to think that the exercise is just burning away fat! But there are days when things don't quite go as planned and I eat too much, and then I have the exercise "buffer" to help me still reach my calorie goal for the day.

It is absolutely amazing how good you'll feel after a few weeks. Many people start like crazy and then quit after a week or two. Stick with it for a month or so, and you'll start feeling so much better. After that it becomes fun! I miss my workout if I don't make it to the gym.

Good luck!
  • nack_23
    nack_23 Posts: 154
    Options
    Hello all,

This ^
    You can workout as much as you want, but if you are not feeding your body the proper foods its all for nothing.
  • FoxyFran21
    FoxyFran21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thank you for taking time out to respond. I will definitely try this out, since I'm kinda new to the avid work out thing I do plan on starting out slow and upping it each time think that's the best way to go. Also yes I know my BMI and know exactly what to eat and how much. At night I usually plan, portion and pack out meal and snacks for the following day. Again thank you so much your response is definitely helpful.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Practically all gyms have an introductory to machines. Get a staff member to take you through them. Also consider hiring a trainer for a couple of sessions to show you correct form.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition