Do You Really Believe You Can Do This?

Options
I'm beginning to think that the biggest thing holding me back is the fact that I don't really believe I can do it. I've tried soooooo many times before and failed that I'm afraid to believe that this time it will work.

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first week. it has been hard..in just that i've had to think about everything and i wondered if i could really lose eating as much as 1600 calories a day to lose weight.

I have not been perfect..but really tried to hit my calorie mark. I hopped on the scale today to see if it was working..and right according to plan i am losing. I am so inspired.

Just go through the motions and try to get that first week of staying on track and following what mfp says..and you will see the results..and be able to keep going.

I'm more resolved now to exercise ..track right..and not cheat myself. You can do it!
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're trying too much too quick. Long term weight loss isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. So take it one day at a time doing things you KNOW that you can do, and before you know it it'll be a force of habit that you don't mind doing. Slip up one day? No problem! Tomorrow you'll be more focused! Tempted to eat that extra piece of cake? Neh, don't need it. There'll always be more cake some other time to look forward to.

Many people fail at this because they say, "I'm going to run an hour every day, no more sweets, only salads, no more cheat meals! Then I'll be where I want in no time!" Then of course lo and behold, one piece of the puzzle falls and the whole thing collapses.

SOOOO take it one step and one day at a time! It may take a month to get into the swing of this, but I PROMISE that it gets easier!

Maybe today's goal? Realize WHY you want this, and what are reasonable goals
    Tomorrow's goal: Cut out that late night snack
    Next goal: walk an extra 15 minutes.
    etc:

You can do it!
  • darthmolly
    darthmolly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you saw my video, it was about this subject.

You have think more in the short term, you're thinking to much. Can you eat 1 healthier meal? Can you log 1 meal? do that. I know it's something you can do.

You have been here, so that's a good start, not sure if you're logging or not, if you're nto, get in the habit of doing it. Start small.
    For example when i started MFP i couldn't walk 10mins. I would have to walk 8mins, take a break, then walk another 2. I got in to the habit of exercising 10mins a day, that's not much at all. It didn't matter if i only did 5mins, the point was to get in to the "HABIT" of doing something physical.

You can do the same thing with your diet, eat 75% good, and the rest 25% whatever you want. Then improve it over time. Doesn't matter if you start at eating 25% good, just start some where and improve.

Weight loss is about habits, anyone can starve themselves, but can they maintain the weight off in the long run? I always see it like this, if a person loses 30lbs in 1 month, and another person loses it in 6 months, who's most likely to keep it off? The one who did it the longest, the one who has stronger habits. This is one reason why quick weight loss doesn't work, it takes time.

I totally agree, one small obtainable goal at a time, it is easy to fixate on the long term and to get overwhelmed, stay in the here and now. This is a life style change, which sounds like you have to change your whole life right away, but changing life style is changing how you actually live, and it starts with day to day choices.
    You can make one healthier choice every day, just one at a time. As you show yourself that you can do that, you start believing in the bigger stuff to - you may even start to believe that you really can do this.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Listen to those people who have lost over a hundred pounds.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

I wish it would go a bit faster, though. On New Year's Day 2009, I weighed 207. I vowed to reverse weight gain then and there.

I've gotten down to 185.2 since then. That's what, a little over 5 pounds per year. Geesh!

I think I might be a point where my weight loss is going to be exponential, however. Some of the habits that I had until 2009 are no longer a problem. I think I'm getting the hang of this lose weight and get into shape program.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you saw my video, it was about this subject.

You have think more in the short term, you're thinking to much. Can you eat 1 healthier meal? Can you log 1 meal? do that. I know it's something you can do.

You have been here, so that's a good start, not sure if you're logging or not, if you're nto, get in the habit of doing it. Start small.
    For example when i started MFP i couldn't walk 10mins. I would have to walk 8mins, take a break, then walk another 2. I got in to the habit of exercising 10mins a day, that's not much at all. It didn't matter if i only did 5mins, the point was to get in to the "HABIT" of doing something physical.

You can do the same thing with your diet, eat 75% good, and the rest 25% whatever you want. Then improve it over time. Doesn't matter if you start at eating 25% good, just start some where and improve.

Weight loss is about habits, anyone can starve themselves, but can they maintain the weight off in the long run? I always see it like this, if a person loses 30lbs in 1 month, and another person loses it in 6 months, who's most likely to keep it off? The one who did it the longest, the one who has stronger habits. This is one reason why quick weight loss doesn't work, it takes time.

^ he knows what he is talking about. copy that to your blog, or file on your computer, and re-read as necessary. you can do it!! good luck
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    13579_10151228624601864_540257570_n.jpg

ahhhh too big, dont know how to change that.. right click and ´see in a new tab´
  • duckymoo
    Options
    Baby steps, i guess. I'd like to beleive I can do this long term - I lost weight once as I was told I wouldn't have children if I didn't. Now I have a 6 month old, have put a lot of the weight back on, and I want to lose the weight and keep it off. I guess I'm trying to change the way I see food, and change my lifestyle, and that's the hard part. But one bite at a time for now, and the rest will follow :)
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    what Ducky said!!!!

I thought the same thing and I am still at it!!! Never give up!
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You can sooooo do it!
    When I started I had no faith in it what so ever. Really just punching into a phone what I ate can make me loose weight?! Well yes it can! You just have to have the mentality that your gona stick with it! So what if you ate a cookie? Log it! Make a better choice next time... Just be careful with eating to low. I did this & lost loads, but unfortunately I lost muscle too. Go on girl you can do it! X
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    January 28th, 2012 I started MFP knowing that in 6 months I would be doomed to have GBSurgery (it terrifies me, so for me it was the end of the world) I knew I would fail. I hated myself every second for the first 3 weeks, had many MANY setbacks where I just wanted to give up and quit - so easy to just give up. Through last year I continued having set backs, and it wasn't until late September that I finally started believing in myself. This year I know I can finish losing what weight I have left to lose 40-70lbs. This year I know that there will be setbacks, and I will persevere. This year I know I will not fail.

Learning to trust in yourself, have faith in yourself, believe in yourself is the hardest, HARDEST thing for most people to do. So I guess I am asking you to have faith in me. You commit to this lifestyle change and you WILL be successful. I guarantee it.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Small changes -- that is key.

Mental belief in yourself -- the absolute.

If you believe you can do it or you believe you will fail, you will be right. The only thing you will change is what you believe to be important to you. If it is important to you, you WILL do it. It will take time, no doubt, it will take determination, no doubt. It will even take rearranging things in your life, in the way you create food, in the way you live your every day life... but if you want it, really want it, it won't seem like you're changing anything... it will just come as a natural extension of going after your goals.
  • sttatik
    Options
    just do it.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    YES! And I think you can too!!

Research suggests for behavior modification (like stopping smoking, sustained weight loss), it takes people an average of SEVEN attempts before they see success.

Never stop trying! Even if you fall, keep it going. This is for the long haul...hard days will happen, you won't always make perfect choices, but you can win!

As others have mentioned, sometimes.... I "can do this" for just one more second. Then, another second. Then, maybe a minute... and hour... a day. It all adds up.

You've got this. Surround yourself with a great support system and with total disregard for any naysayers, go after it.
  • krystalgwensaul
    Options
    You just have to take it one step at a time Im only on my third day and today I was going nuts running around the house looking in all the cuboards at the junk and thinking how much i wanted just a little bit but I changed my mind and had a pudding. Its really hard but just one step at a time and if you mess up dont get discouraged and quit just move on it happens and eventually it will stop happening. Good luck
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I am certainly one of those people that get so close and give up. Last year I was 8lbs away from my current goal. 8!! And I gave up thinking that was the best I could do and I looked fine. I could always get back there if I wanted to, and that's the worst set of mind is to give up just when your on the path.

The path to happiness is paved with hardship, but we all get there at our own pace and that's the point. We all get there.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You have to start it and stick with it. You don't have to be perfect every day, but KEEP GOING!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i did that too! started, gave up, started, gave up... for years! finally came to the conclusion that i was going to do it... started back seriously in september, and i havent stopped... only you can make that final decision!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Yes, I absolutely, beyond a doubt 100% believe I can, and keep it off too, and I think that is the most important tool you can have when it comes to weight loss. I realize it might take longer than I want, and it might not be as linear as I'd like, but I know I'll get there.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you put your mind to!
    God's strength will help too.......