I'm confused

donna56
donna56 Posts: 412
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I just walked on my treadmill for 20 min. and it said I burnt 118 calories. Okay, I was looking at someone elses status, and it said they walked for 45 min. @ 4 mph and burnt 210 calories. Someone's calorie counter is off and I am going to be very upset if it is mine. I thought I had a pretty good home treadmill. Maybe I should ignore what mine says and go with what MFP's calories say when I log in my walking.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Remember calories burned can easily be different for people because it really depends on your exertion level (how high is your heart rate). I can run 2 miles and burn less calories than someone that walked one 1 mile if they are in worse shape than me.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Not everyone burns the same amount of calories doing the same activity. MFP takes into account your weight & height as well when it determines how many calories you've burnt. It's really just an estimate. An HRM would probably give you a more accurate reading if that's what you're after.
  • Electronic machines, including treadmills, are notorious for overestimating calories burned. I would go with MFP's numbers.
This discussion has been closed.