Fitbit, to start with a baseline or just get active

Options
My fitbit has just arrived. I'm torn between two options. (1) start with a baseline, and continue my regular activities but don't try to be more active, and then in the second week try to be more active or (2) just start being active and then try to increase the activity as I'm able.

I want to be able to say that I improved, but I guess I will improve anyway. If anyone wants to share their experiences, let me know.

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I'd try to get more active. I turn the STRIIV app on. It's not very accurate and I use the Fitbit to accurately measure my steps but the STRIIV is great for the mini challenges. Also link FB up with Earndit to get rewards or donate to charity n
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    For the love of everything holy, just get active. Leave the fitbit in the box for all i care. Getting in shape is about eating sensibly and getting some exercise, not the myriad of calorie counting devices people in this site keep throwing money at
  • nsalerno90
    Options
    For the love of everything holy, just get active. Leave the fitbit in the box for all i care. Getting in shape is about eating sensibly and getting some exercise, not the myriad of calorie counting devices people in this site keep throwing money at

While I am sure that is going to be so helpful to the OP, I use a fitbit from time to time and it definitely makes me more aware of my activity level. Especially in a life full of work, raising kids, running an household and taking care of the zillion things most women of a certain age do. The reality is daily life isn't always active and if this device provides a inexpensive way of encouraging us to move more and find different ways to add activity I would think we could all support that.

I have never understood why some of you continue to engage in mean spirited criticism - if you don't like what someone is posting about just don't respond.
  • amazinglywell
    Options
    I have a fitbit and I like it... I don't get into challenges or things, and I get plenty of exercise (bike riding mostly). What it does for me is show me how much I am sitting and doing nothing if I am not riding my bike.

So I think it is interesting to have a day or two of normal activity so you can see, if you are like me, how little you move.

Then start looking for little ways to move more. For example I am trying to get on my treadmill more just to read the news on the computer. I don't count it as "exercise"...I'm already doing that on my bike. But it is better than sitting. And sitting is just bad for you on so many levels. I park further away. I take multiple trips upstairs when I used to "group" items to take them up all at once, etc.

After awhile I came up with my own "minimum" activity that I think works for me and I strive for at least that (in addiition to my regular exercise on the bike...fitbit does not work for the bicycle).

I don't get too hung up on the calorie counting of fitbit...just the activity part. Although I do see that the Fitbit seems to access my daily energy expenditure pretty well.

So I think it is a good way to quantify what "moving more" is if you don't do a lot of moving outside your swimming or other aerobic exercise.
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the sensible answers! I think that I will start off being relatively in my normal patterns and then it will increase as I get trained by the fitbit. I know from experience that things that positively reinforce my exercise habits (like earning badges) work for me! At the end of the day it is learning a whole new way to live and move. I went from an active job to a sedentary job, and that is when a lot of the weight came on, so hopefully I will make my job more active!
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I thought that some of the earlier (unkind) posts didn't actually read what my thread was. Perhaps they were unfamiliar with what a baseline may be. I was thinking about having an experiment with the null hypothesis being that the fit bit does not improve activity levels. But to establish that I'd need a baseline. Geek.
  • xoTLCxo
    xoTLCxo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just got mine yesterday and for an average day today it is telling me at 3:30 pm that I have earned an extra 700 calories ontop of the 250 i earned from my workout this morning.
  • LovahLorah
    LovahLorah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit for Christmas and I use it for motivation! I have even walked in place while watching my shows to hit my steps goal! It really gives you an insight to how active(or non active) you really are. I notice myself taking the stairs more and parking further to get those steps in!
  • kslibbin
    kslibbin Posts: 29 Member
    Options

While I am sure that is going to be so helpful to the OP, I use a fitbit from time to time and it definitely makes me more aware of my activity level. Especially in a life full of work, raising kids, running an household and taking care of the zillion things most women of a certain age do. The reality is daily life isn't always active and if this device provides a inexpensive way of encouraging us to move more and find different ways to add activity I would think we could all support that.

I have never understood why some of you continue to engage in mean spirited criticism - if you don't like what someone is posting about just don't respond.

I quite agree. As mothers we don't always have the ways to be "active". Our active is taking care of the children, errands and chores. We get "active" when we can. When we have husbands that are working or in my case a husband deployed (and I work!) sometimes you just cannot make the time to make it work so you have to rely on the calorie counting in lieu of workouts. Why dont you try encouraging instead of negativity.