post workout food

Options
what do you eat after your workout? suggestions needed. :-)

Replies

• kabel4892
    kabel4892 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    BUMP. I never know what to eat either. Im guessing something healthy. lol
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I've been eating some protein and a veggie. (example, a couple hard boiled eggs and some sliced cucumber) Makes me feel pretty good :smile:

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • fullofhope76
    Options
    I always exercise in the morning and right after I drink some milk. Then about an hour later I have my actual breakfast. I am looking into a blender though so that I can make protein shakes.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Massive steak and massive serving of sweet potato

massive any kind of chicken and sweet potato

Chinese food

pretty much what i would eat any other day of my boring life
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    IF I need something to help with recovery it's usually a glass of chocolate milk OR unsweet vanilla almond milk... something high in protein. I may have a banana after a long run, too.
  • kjf1982
    kjf1982 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've read that anything high in protein is best right after a workout. Eggs, tuna, chicken, etc...
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    That depends on when I work out. If it's directly after work, I'll have a piece of fruit and maybe a protein shake. If it's later, closer to before dinner, i just eat dinner, which is, on later workout days, usually something protein dense like chicken with veggies and some rice or quinoa to get a little energy boost for the rest of my evening. If I work out in the morning (which is extremely rare) I have coffee (probably not the best post workout, but hey) and yogurt with fruit and a little granola or a protein shake with fruit blended in.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Protein shake

If I'm starving though I do love cottage cheese as a quick grab snack or some fat free greek yoghurt/fromage frais with a spoon of honey. Anything high protein.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    My absolute fave is Apple slices with a teaspoon of natural peanut butter. Oh, and a little sprinkle of cinnamon..Perfection!

Other foods I enjoy post workout are:

*A small handful of nuts and/or trailmix
    *Mixed Berries
    *Half a cup of Chocolate Milk with half a banana
    *Serving of Greek Yogurt with some granola
    *1 Carrot(Sliced) and teaspoon of hummus
    *Mini Babybel cheese + 1/2 an apple
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    During the summer, I was very good about making myself a coconut water smoothie after a workout. Coconut water is supposed to be "nature's Gatorade," but drinking it straight was just not appealing to me at all. So, I would pour about a cup of coconut water in the blender with some ice & whatever fresh fruit I had on hand. Strawberries, bananas, peaches, pineapple -- whatever. If the fruit is tart, I might add some Stevia or Splenda. Sometimes I'd add fresh mint (or basil -- really good with strawberries!). Anyway, I'd blend it up & drink it down. I also froze it into popsicles for a nice summer treat!

I know most people make smoothies with yogurt, but I didn't want anything that heavy & thick. The coconut water is much more drinkable, and like I said, it's supposed to be "nature's Gatorade," so it's supposed to replenish all those electrolytes & whatnot. With the fruit, it was surprisingly filling.

I don't have my smoothies so much anymore, but that's because I now workout in the morning before breakfast. When I'm done with my workout, I eat a banana & a hard boiled egg -- potassium & protein!
  • CassyClary
    Options
    Pancakes. Hot pretzels. White cheddar smartfood popcorn...usually its just whatever suits my fancy. A honey peanut butter sandwich with some cold milk/almond milk really hits the spot for me. I love chocolate milk post-workout too.
  • Greek God's Greek Yogurt with Honey, like 1 serving.

After a work out, protein helps. If you're feeling like something hot though, try an egg-white omelet.
  • juliemargaretkim
    juliemargaretkim Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I add frozen blueberries into a carton of Greek Yogurt and eat it slowly! It's fast, keeps me from grabbing a muffin or a bagel, and it fills me up, and I feel really healthy afterwards. And, of course, drink water (or plain herbal tea)!
  • dovelette
    Options
    30g of whey protein mixed with water for maximum muscle building/recovery. It is "predigested" so that it immediately is absorbed without having to break down the macronutrient (protein) into amino acids - your muscles can only use these broken down parts. Skip the digestion and go right for the good stuff!
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. Yum. (:
  • Goldie_13
    Options
    My go-to post workout snacks/meals

apples & peanut butter
    smoothie
    protein shake
    greek yogurt with fresh fruit
  • Goldie_13
    Options
    Greek God's Greek Yogurt with Honey, like 1 serving.

After a work out, protein helps. If you're feeling like something hot though, try an egg-white omelet.

Love Greek Gods Greek Yogurt! :)
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    whey shake and for carbs, either a poptart or fruit snacks
  • LIswimmer51
    Options
    I actually had greek yogurt and a lean cuisine (stir-fry with chicken) after working out today. Healthy and filling and you're getting you calories worth. Stick to something healthy, high in protein, and depending on your diet. Try to avoid soda and stick to water also. I've yet to try whey but i heard it works awesome.
  • enhance00
    Options
    Post workout is the only time of the day where some simple carbs can be helpful. You want things that are faster digesting and can help your body recover.

If we're talking about a light jog or bike ride, then it might not be as necessary. But if you are working out to exhaustion, some protein and simple carbs can go a long way.

I just mix straight maltodextrin in with a protein shake. Another idea could be any sugary fruit (banana for instance). I knew a bodybuilder who would drink a can of soda after workouts to spike his blood sugar. Google it, read up on the studies.