I HATE it when

Options
OK i don't mean to sound ungrateful, buuut, i hate it when you are going really well with your weight loss and your calories are right on track for the day and someone (my boss) goes out and buys you a big tub of whipped ice cream with NUTS :noway: !!!!!! 'Ah sure go on, you can't be good all the time, sure I've bought it now', then he sits across the desk from me to eat his and i started eating it cause it would have been horrible to throw it in the bin. Managed to eat it really slowly until he left and now i'm gonna throw half of it in the bin.
I hurt my shoulder last night on the bike so i'm gonna have to take a few days off and i needed to be really strict with my calories. Why do people do that, i sometimes wonder are some of them trying to purposely trying to sabotage you :angry:

.706736.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I KNOW!!! What is their deal? I seriously do think that some people want to undermine someone who is working hard and getting success. I would have felt like I had to eat it too- he paid for it, I don't want to be rude, etc... How frustrating that he did that to you.
  • cmo115
    cmo115 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This happens to me a lot... but it is usually someone who is skinner than I am and I always feel like they are doing it so they can stay "the skinny one."
  • bobspdx
    bobspdx Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My office is notorious for bringing in nothing but sweets - donuts, brownies, etc. Luckily they stay in the other room. However, they walk around offering them to people. When one woman gets to my desk she insists and insists until I finally have to get rude about it then she is insulted. Annoying....
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I don't understand that either. I suppose their intentions are good????:noway: Just had a bout with that this morning. At a girl's going-away, a lady brought cakes for her. The girl's fave is coconut, so there were several versions of coconut pie & cake. I said, no thanks. A friend said, in front of everyone, "Hey, you look great. Go on, have some pie! You deserve it!!" And wouldn't let it go. Gee, thanks. Finally I said "I'm GOOD, thanks. I HATE coconut." (Now, shut up and let me make my own food decisions.) :laugh:
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. There's always somebody that wants you to join in on whatever they're eating. It's definitely hard to resist the temptation. I live with my mom, husband, and two kids so it' hard not to be influenced by them. I can't imagine if it was my boss...that puts you in a weird situation. I guess I would just have a few bites to show thanks and then, like you said, throw the rest away. Although I do think there are people out there that deliberately try to sabotage you, I think most people do it unconsciously. If anything, when people see that you are paying attention to your diet, it makes them have to take a look at themselves. It can be so irritating when you are doing so well, but just don't let them derail you.
  • sunnysashka
    sunnysashka Posts: 296
    Options
    . Why do people do that, i sometimes wonder are some of them trying to purposely trying to sabotage you :angry:

.706736.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I think they DO try to sabotage you! It is the fear that YOU will succeed and they will stay where they are. You did a right thing eating it slow and throwing it away after.
    Sometimes I lie to people that I have a stomach pain and my DOCTOR told me not to eat certain things... It also helps to say that you HATE it and you wish you could have a burger! ))) It makes THEM feel good and you are not eating bad food!:laugh: :laugh:
  • caloreecounter
    Options
    Yes,I think some people take enjoyment in "sabotaging" or testing how serious you are about the changes you want to make... Don't know why but...It is what it is... If your boss IS indeed aware of your healthier lifestyle choices then you have several choices. ONE : Politely remind him so in the future when he strolls in with ice-cream next time you can decline without feeling ungrateful,and suggest someone else in your work place to have the ice-cream. TWO : If he is unaware of your new eating habits then tactfully let him know... OR Three my favorite... Accept the ice-cream if you feel you CAN"T decline and tell him (since he is your "BOSS" ) you're so busy working at the moment you can't stop to indulge in the ice-cream. How can he fault you for wanting to be a diligent employee ;-) Tell him you'll eat it later ,end of story !!
  • oliveoil7979
    Options
    My office has become really great about this. We are big with birthdays and cake and what not. After my 2nd, "no thanks not part of my diet" They started bringing me in a piece of fruit, or a 100 calorie pack of something fun, so I could still participate and feel deprived. I love my team.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Getting healthier and losing weight can be very embarrasing for some people. It's underlying messages to some people can be very harsh and makes us feel lousy about ourselves. I finally have overcome this and am not afraid to tell people about my lifestyle changes. My advice is for you to talk to your boss/coworkers and let them know what's going on w/ you and I'm sure they will be very receptive.
  • trimom63
    trimom63 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Is there a freezer in the lunchroom where you work? Can always make an excuse that you'll "work on it" later!! If it's anyplace like I've worked in the past, it will just get lifted by another co-worker and won't have gone to waste!! heh, heh!!! Ok, that was lame..... :wink:
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Try being married to someone like that. Let me tell you, it's not easy!:explode:
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think at some point you just have to stand your ground. They obviously don't mind making you uncomfortable or tempted by throwing off your diet ((when they KNOW you're on one)) So you shouldn't feel ashamed to say "I appreciate the gesture but maybe cindy would like it more or maybe you could take it home to your kids because otherwise it will be wasted" I know..that's easier said then done, but the ramifications of what he guilts you into eating are not his to deal with, they're yours! :) Just remember, you're strong!!
  • losingweightfor30
    losingweightfor30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Use the old... I'm not feeling that well today. I really appreciate the thought but perhaps someone else could enjoy it. It's a hard when you don't want to be rude, and I hope no one would really want to sabotage another, but sometimes you have to look out for your own best interests, and if you don't want it (I know I would get ill at the thought of all those extra fatty calories) be as polite as you can, but have to refuse --- or remind them how well you are doing on your weight loss and pass. Good luck!
  • runnin0nbravado
    Options
    It is horrible when that happens... especially when you're having a day where saying no to a tasty treat is close to impossible. I usually just go into b*tch mode and tell them I'm sick of being fat and to lay off... lol But if it was my boss, I'd probably say something along the lines of sugary calories coming with the price of getting sluggish later and.. you know.. you wouldn't want it to effect your work. ;)

Good luck dealing with the people that just DON'T GET IT! I think it's part of all of our battles!
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yep--I hate that... I swear I get offered more junk food when people know I'm trying to cut back. I'm almost at the point where it's not worth telling people because all I get is "Nah, you don't need to lose weight, have some!" Grr. It's especially bad with people who are good at guilt trips ("But I bought it just for you!"). Oh well--hopefully willpower is like muscle: with enough exercise it gets stronger!
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ugh I hate that. On the weekends when I work with my manager he ALWAYS buys pizza for the whole store and sets it out in the break room. Last weekend I happened to be taking my break when he brought it in and he would NOT leave me alone about having some. I finally just said i would have some "later" so he took that as he needed to make a plate of pizza for me and put it in the office so there would still be some left for me ugh. I just brought it home and gave it to my brother lol.
  • brightlightkatie
    Options
    I hate it when people do that !!!!!

I think they do it to take away the feeling of guilt from themselves, you know? Like my boss is meant to be healthy eating but she brought in cakes last week, and I said no thank you and she was like 'ooo your being healthy arent you, well im going to have one'. I just said go ahead.. I have a holiday to go on !! Lol.