What do you eat for energy at the gym??

Options
I used to use Hydroxycut back in the day and it worked, but since I know better now and don't feel like having a heart attack I need something to keep me going at the gym.

I love to do cardio but my brain will go much longer than my body will. I get real pooped after about 45 minutes and wish I could go longer......

any suggestions??

p.s. i hate bananas ; )

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    carbs
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    carbs

Yep. I usually drink one part orange juice to three parts water if I'm training for more than an hour.
  • Rosie5230
    Rosie5230 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    what about peanut butter toast?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I used to use Hydroxycut back in the day and it worked, but since I know better now and don't feel like having a heart attack I need something to keep me going at the gym.

I love to do cardio but my brain will go much longer than my body will. I get real pooped after about 45 minutes and wish I could go longer......

any suggestions??

p.s. i hate bananas ; )

* WATER
    * 45 minutes of cardio is sufficient for general fitness...unless you're training for a marathon or something. What is your goal? How long do you want to stay on the treadmill?
    * I have a snack before the gym and then I eat after the work out. I don't need a snack while I'm there working out. My body can go an hour or so and not starve.
  • Rosie5230
    Options
    I am working on running distance. but right now i do only a mile jogging then i switch to elliptical....at 45 minutes i only seem to burn 300 calories max. i would like to burn more calories
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I am working on running distance. but right now i do only a mile jogging then i switch to elliptical....at 45 minutes i only seem to burn 300 calories max. i would like to burn more calories

Is this because you're training for something or because you're trying to create a larger deficit to lose weight quicker?

300 calories seems like a perfectly reasonable burn.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    On mornings that I am working out, I generally have a bagel thin with butter and salami. When I have done Half Marathons, I have a regular bagel with peanut butter on it and a banana beforehand. Both seem to give me energy.
  • run_on
    run_on Posts: 5
    Options
    Honey. I just ran a marathon, and the two things I ate were cashews (handful at mile 13) and honey packets (mile 7 and mile 16). I ate a Fage yogurt (2% with honey) an hour before race start, too, which factored into no real hunger until mile 7 (but the honey satisfied it then and at 16).
  • Rosie5230
    Options
    mostly for weight loss, but once i lose the weight i want to run comfortably outside and start 5k's and stuff like that....
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to exercise in the morning, and I'm not a big breakfast person. So I've been eating a hard boiled egg when I get up. Then it is an hour before I actually get to the gym. I've been feeling fatigued half way through my workout. I thought I was just really out of shape, but maybe I need a bit more in the morning before the workout...
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    what about peanut butter toast?

This.

One of those 40 cal/slice breads and a tbsp peanut butter.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I do greek yogurt and a banana some mornings before I run. Some mornings, I just go with only coffee in my belly. I run better if I throw a complex carb (read fruit) down there though. Before yoga, it's nothing. Can't do inversions on a full stomach. It's an invitation for indigestion or worse. :)
  • FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Skimmed milk and a banana, works magic for me :0)

Fin x
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm in now way a fitness model but I found that if I had a 1/2 piece of fruit before my long walks that helped and I didnt feel like passing out.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    carbs

Yep. I usually drink one part orange juice to three parts water if I'm training for more than an hour.

This is good. Or the 'honey' suggestion. Or, all running stores sell small glucose packs called 'Goo' and other such energy replenishers.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Honey. I just ran a marathon, and the two things I ate were cashews (handful at mile 13) and honey packets (mile 7 and mile 16). I ate a Fage yogurt (2% with honey) an hour before race start, too, which factored into no real hunger until mile 7 (but the honey satisfied it then and at 16).

Agreed-although I've never run a marathon. My long runs are in the neighborhood of 2 hours (others generally around an hour) and I don't need to eat. I don't drink while running either-so really-I'm consuming nothing (although apparently the no water thing is probably not the healthiest). You really don't need anything for an hour or so (except water-I think I'm a freak like that).