i quit smoking today

Options
i am afraid i will gain a lot of weight!!! but i will keep on eating just what i need to eat, and be very disciplined with my fitiness pal and will stay on track, with eating healthy and exersice!!

Replies

• lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I am readying to do the same. I have been steadily reducing my smoking over the last several weeks.
  • shannonewallace
    shannonewallace Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i quit a year ago now, and because i changed my whole lifestyle to become a healthier person i didnt gain any weight due to not smoking. just stay strong, stay positive and remember why you are doing this! eating healthy and excercise will be so much easier without all that smoke : )
  • LilBelieve
    Options
    First, congratulations on making that commitment to stop smoking! You will be healthier and happier because of it!! I lost my mother and grandmother both to lung cancer from smoking, so I am sure your family is happy you are making this step as well.

The hardest problem, from what I've heard, is breaking the habit of bringing your hand to your mouth. When there is no cigarette there, you want to replace it with food. Fight it! Try to replace the urge with exercise instead. Above all, make sure you have a lot of support around you; you will need them when you feel like giving up.

I wish you good luck and a healthy life!!
  • ladanivita
    ladanivita Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm on the same path, and while I had hoped to quit cold turkey, it just isn't easy. I have an e-cig that works pretty well, and have been trying to use more often when I feel like I need to have a smoke. It helps a lot. I think something that helps partially is keeping myself busy...it's in those moments where I've been sitting on the couch too long, or after a tv show or something that I feel the urge to get up and go outside.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Keep it up! I know that it was hard for me the many times I tried. Was EASY once I was truly done. Smoke free for 2 years :)
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! The first step is always the hardest. I quit 16 years ago when I met my now wife. It was extremely challenging but so glad that I made the decision to quit.

Stay strong and you will succeed!
  • salsagal36
    salsagal36 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting first of all.

I had my last cigarette mid afternoon on New Years Eve and I just decided there and then I wasn't going to buy any more and that was it. I've tried many times before but always went back because of habit more than anything. I always smoked on car journeys or whilst on the school run, but not at home unless I was majorly stressed.

So far I've taken a 2 hour each way drive and a school run both ways and not smoked. I'm not even really thinking about it. For me it was more about wanting to be able to breathe easier so I could learn to run properly, hopefully this will help.

Oh and I lost a lb this week :).

You can do it!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    So proud of each and every one of you that has made this fantastic decision!

I stopped smoking four years ago this month and haven't looked back. Admittedly, I did put weight on, but that was because I was making no effort to change my lifestyle. Besides, all my health checks show that internally I'm fitter than I was back then (lung health in particular has rocketed thanks to a combo of stopping smoking and getting more cardio exercise).

A great way to keep the momentum up is to put a Quitcounter on your computer so you can see exactly how you are doing (good for those moments when you think of giving up). There are links to them here: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksdmeters.html

In just four years I have:

* Extended my life expectancy by 100 Days
    * Not smoked 28934 cigarettes (terrifying figure!)
    * Saved £7,681.04

My big word of advice would be to use MFP while quitting so you can improve your fitness and keep your weight steady. And, of course, come on for support if you are having any wobbles while quitting! (oh, and carrot sticks are good for munching on to keep your hands busy!)
  • Mallyycatt
    Mallyycatt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i am right there with you.

my mother was just diagnosed with emphysema...and watching her struggle to breathe, or even walk long distances anymore, was terrifying for me.

I'm scared to gain more weight, as I am already working on losing, but I decided that it's worth it. Not to mention the money I'll save. I'm up to about a pack a day, and I just bought my first box of patches to quit smoking.

Good luck to you!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    i am right there with you.

my mother was just diagnosed with emphysema...and watching her struggle to breathe, or even walk long distances anymore, was terrifying for me.

I'm scared to gain more weight, as I am already working on losing, but I decided that it's worth it. Not to mention the money I'll save. I'm up to about a pack a day, and I just bought my first box of patches to quit smoking.

Good luck to you!

We're all cheering you on! :)
  • corrinek81
    Options
    Perfect! My husband and I quit smoking last week! We already feel better. We definitely miss the routine of going outside and smoking and talking but we figure it can only make us healthier in the long run. Grab a bag of sugar free candy or something like that to suck on instead of a smoke. I have found that to be a little helpful in the past week. I quit cold turkey but my husband has had to do the nicotine gum route. No matter how you do it.... STICK TO IT! It's a horrible habit. I am happy to be done w/ it FOREVER!!!
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to stop smoking! I quit in July 2012 and didn't initially gain any weight, but when the weather changed in the fall, I started overloading on carbs and gained about 10 lbs. I recently removed wheat from my diet and have dropped about 5 lbs and now that I joined this site on 12/31, the motivation to get fitter is fantastic. Take it one day at a time. You can try some sugar free candy or maybe some extra fruit and veggies. Change your routine, use some distractions, take deep breaths and repeat... I am a non-smoker!!!
  • mlondon8509
    mlondon8509 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting. This is a huge life decision, and one you will thank yourself over and over again for. Make no mistake about it, it will be difficult. I quit smoking a year ago new years day, so I can attest to that. The good news is that many of the mechanisms and strategies you develop on MFP are directly transferable to your fight against smoking. Fighting the urge to smoke a cigarette is not all that different than fighting the urge to eat a Big Mac. Similarly, the one "day at a time" approach works well for both eating well and quitting smoking. Good luck.
  • christy3565
    Options
    That is fantastic!! I quit 4 months ago and didn't have any weight gain because I stayed on track with eating and exercise. You will be amazed how much easier you can breathe again :)

Keep up the great work!!
  • dukesangel
    dukesangel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Make sure you make lifestyle changes with the smoking that are positive. I just quit myself and even though I wasn't a huge smoker (think like 1-2 a day) I still feel sooo much better about quitting.
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to stop smoking! I quit in July 2012

I too quit in July and I joined MFP in August so I could log my food and not put on weight. It worked! I then found NROL4W and started weight training to keep me focused and have a goal to work to. I am the same weight now that I was when I quit (give or take a few lbs) and I feel sooo much healthier and stronger!

Well done OP, you know it makes sense. Stick at it and reap the rewards :smile:
  • hollys6699
    Options
    Thanks to all of your support!!!! I am wearing the patch and i have also placed a rubberband around my wrist, and when i think of smoking i snap it and what do you know i forget all about smoking!! haha So my thinking is when it is after dinner and i am really thinking of those tablespoons of peanut butter I will snap the rubberband and i bet my thought of eating will go away. so far since monday i have gained 1 pound. but i will not give up, i see all of your words of encouragement and will keep getting healthy!!