Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I received a Sport Line heart rate monitor watch for Christmas. I have been wearing it and watching the calories burned number to get a better idea of how many I am burning while working out.
Here is the question, when do I note the calories burned for a workout? It seems the number is really low directly after working out, around 140 then a half hour later it can be up to 700+. So when do I note the calories? Is it based on heart rate or after a certain amount of time??
Thank you for any advice that you may have. :smile:

Replies

• phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I too am wondering this, I got a heart rate monitor for xmas as well and again it will say I did 140 but then within half an hour it can go right up?
  • phoenix8633
    Options
    BUMP!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap?

I had a Sportline HRM but it didn't have the chest strap and it was completely unreliable. I switched to Polar FT4 and haven't looked back.

You are supposed to use the cals earned during the workout routine - start to finish. If it jumping long after you're done, then it's likely it's not doing what you expect a HRM to do.
  • ssl444
    ssl444 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap?

I had a Sportline HRM but it didn't have the chest strap and it was completely unreliable. I switched to Polar FT4 and haven't looked back.

You are supposed to use the cals earned during the workout routine - start to finish. If it jumping long after you're done, then it's likely it's not doing what you expect a HRM to do.
    I agree with this, your calorie burn being higher after you work out, would suggest your hrm isn't working correctly, you burn more calories when your heart rate increases and maintains the increased rate, I also have the polar ft4 and love it.
  • phoenix8633
    Options
    Mine has a chest strap, it's a kinetic one.

Maybe I should get a Polar one if it's not reliable?
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Mine has a chest strap, it's a kinetic one.

Maybe I should get a Polar one if it's not reliable?

If yours has a chest strap, make sure it's configured appropriately for your min/max HR. I think some of the Sportline equipment can work w/ or w/o the chest strap even if it has a strap. So make sure it's communicating the way you want it.

I'm not as familiar with the Sportline after ditching mine... this is just what I've been able to google and find out.