reality check

Options
I had always pretty much maintained my diet and my size for years. But when my Dad died everything went down hill. I am trying to be brutally honest with myself in this endeavor of weight loss. When my Dad died it threw my whole world upside down. Everything I knew and loved was gone. Yes, I still have my Mom, but my Dad was my rock. He was my best friend. It has been 3 years since he died.

After he died, my diet imploded. I ate everything and anything because I just didn't care anymore. I had cheese tortellini with shrimp in Alfredo sauce. I had fried potatoes with full fat ranch, plus extra ranch. Need I go on? I knew I had put on some weight. But I didn't really weigh myself to see how fast and how much I had put on.

Then I met a guy. Things started looking up but I really didn't change my diet or go back to exercising like I used too. Then I saw myself in a picture taken on my birthday, That was a little wake up call. Then I went to the doctor and I weighed 220. I was never bigger that 175-180. I couldn't wear my cloths, I was a super puffed up version of myself. I looked HUGE! I could not believe that I had gotten that large. I was wearing 16W size cloths...I had never gotten larger than a 12 at my biggest!!!

I have begun my weight loss in earnest because I am getting married in May. So far I have lost 13 lbs. I have 27 more to go. I am not setting an unobtainable goal for myself. I just want to wear my cloths again. I just want to be back into a size 10. I have started using myfitnesspal.com as a way to realistically track my food, forcing me to be honest with myself. I am finding it useful o see what I am actually eating and how to adjust accordingly so I can loose the weight for the wedding. I want to look and feel myself again. I know it will be hard work but I do think I can do this. I need to do this for me and for no one else. I know that there are many people like me who are doing this to be healthy. It is nice to see I am not alone.

Replies

• FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You are not alone. My wake up call came from the doctor as well. Just remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. You will have super lows and epic highs. Start slow and stick with it. You CAN do it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mistressmozart
    mistressmozart Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    welcome! I'm sorry for your loss but also congrats on your engagement!

I am also here to become healthy. My eating habits have been up and down over the years. When they're good, they're really good. And when they're bad, really bad! I'm hoping this place can keep me on track and give me the support i need, and hopefully i can lend support to others. we're all in this together! :smile:
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You have made a great first step. This is the first day of your life and making good choices one decision at a time will get you to your goal. Congratulations on your new relationship.
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    When my Dad died it threw my whole world upside down. Everything I knew and loved was gone. Yes, I still have my Mom, but my Dad was my rock. He was my best friend. It has been 3 years since he died.

After he died, my diet imploded. I ate everything and anything because I just didn't care anymore. I had cheese tortellini with shrimp in Alfredo sauce. I had fried potatoes with full fat ranch, plus extra ranch. Need I go on?

I did the same thing when Mom died in 2011. Didn't pay attention to my diet for six months. After that I tried a couple diets but never stayed with them for long. My major wake up call also came from a doctor. Blood Pressure was very high and he told me to get this weight off ASAP.

Good luck with your weight loss. I've only been here a few days, but this site has already been a HUGE help to me. It will help you too :)