I DONT LIKE WATER

Options
:grumble: ... sounds silly but i feel like im the only person in the whole wide world who doesnt have a taste for water..i know its necessary to live but i get by with as little as possible!! trying desperatly to change that i know i cant be healthy and lose the weight i need to without it.. ive tried lemmon n everything i just cant drink it down without a fight!!!!

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Drink tea or kool-aid or beer or something that you like. Hydration doesn't necessarily have to come from clear pure water.
  • gonzo0612
    Options
    yea my hydration consists of basically EVERYTHING but water! i see all the hype about drinking water helps u lose more weight supress your appetite and so forth...man i just dont like the stuff lol:happy:
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I hear you, but trust me, once you get going drinking a proper amount each day you will learn to crave it. Also try around with different temperatures (ice cold with ice cubes, or room temp, or warm with a little lemon squeezed in) and try from different sources, maybe you prefer filtered water from a brita, or maybe one of the bottled types is more for you. Trust me, once you get going with 8 glasses a day, if you miss a couple glasses, you'll crave it!!

Also, not all liquids are equal, some (like coffee) will actually work to dehydrate you, and sugar drinks or things with artificial sweetners are bad for you in other ways!!
  • brittDbritt
    Options
    get some sparkleing flavored water it taste like fruit and is fizzy like soda.i get clover valley brand it has 0 sugar 0 caffenie and 0 calories
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I was in the same exact boat. Forced myself to start drinking a ton of it, found a water bottle I liked, discovered I prefer it at room tempature, not ice cold or warm. After 1 month of chugging 145+ ounces a day I developed a tolerence and don't mind it so much anymore. Good luck!

There are other things you can drink- don't beat yourself up too hard. Just make daily or weekly goals to give you something to shoot for- a broad goal of I want to drink more water is setting yourself up for failure. I put 5 rubberbands around my water bottle, each time I finish it I remove a band, by the end of the day I need to have removed all 5 bands. Sometimes I make, sometimes I don't but I'm trying and that is all that matters to me.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to like it? Just drink it, not everything you consume needs to be delicious.
  • gonzo2802
    Options
    This may sound silly, but a friend of mine got over her aversion to water by doing "water shots". Before every meal she'd toss back a single shot glass of H2O. It was only 1-2 ounces and over before she knew it, and she felt better about getting at least SOME water into her daily habit. Eventually, she said she realized her problem with water wasn't the taste, so much as it wasn't as "fun" as her other options and the idea of drinking an entire glass at once had seemed too daunting.

Maybe you can give something like that a try?

(love the screenname, btw)
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Have you tried mio? A lot of people who dont like drinking water enjoy that.
  • joanmarienana
    joanmarienana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    In the summer I love ice water, but in the winter I have trouble with plain water, so I use unsweetened green & herbal teas, lots of tasty flavors to try. I do have one glass of plain water with each meal though, like I'm eating in a restaurant. I tend to eat way too fast, so it also helps slow me down.
  • graciemom828
    Options
    My nephrologist tells me to avoid coffee as it is dehydrating - I drink a lot of H2O but put those individual packets in at least 1 20-oz bottle per day. Others have mentioned this too - also flavored H20 at Target, etc. Fruit juice is also a good idea but calories can be a problem there.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My nephrologist tells me to avoid coffee as it is dehydrating

Sigh...

Question
    Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not?
    I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?
    Answer from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • gonzo0612
    Options
    the rubberband idea is awsome!!! i think it will help to have a short term goal to accomplish with my water drinking and im a visual person so seeing my progress as i remove the bands will motivate me!! THANKS
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yeh, so drink anything else to hydrate yourself.
    Or add some diacetyl for a butteryness.
  • gonzo0612
    Options
    This may sound silly, but a friend of mine got over her aversion to water by doing "water shots". Before every meal she'd toss back a single shot glass of H2O. It was only 1-2 ounces and over before she knew it, and she felt better about getting at least SOME water into her daily habit. Eventually, she said she realized her problem with water wasn't the taste, so much as it wasn't as "fun" as her other options and the idea of drinking an entire glass at once had seemed too daunting.

Maybe you can give something like that a try?

(love the screenname, btw)
    lol im assuming ur last name is gonzales too!! best screen name ever! and thanks i think ur friend hit my water problem right on the nose
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I much prefer water at room temperature. I also love Peligrino or any sparkling water with fresh limes!

I don;t know what country you are in but do you have Squash? It;s like a fruit concentrate you add to water and you can get a lot of sugar free flavours.

My step daughter and hubby drink it all the time. Probably the easiest way to drink water if you don't like that taste.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Just drink sugar free squash then, it's all wet!
  • gonzo0612
    Options
    I much prefer water at room temperature. I also love Peligrino or any sparkling water with fresh limes!

I don;t know what country you are in but do you have Squash? It;s like a fruit concentrate you add to water and you can get a lot of sugar free flavours.

My step daughter and hubby drink it all the time. Probably the easiest way to drink water if you don't like that taste.
  • gonzo0612
    Options
    squash...never heard of it but im willing to try anything :) ill have to google it im in usa
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You might call it something else, it's dilutable fruit juice?
  • knitgeek69
    Options
    I'm not a big water lover either, but I'm getting more used to it. I LOVE apple cinnamon water. I have a 2 liter pitcher of water and I add 1 thinly sliced apple and put it in there with a cinnamon stick and let it sit overnight. I drink it the next day over ice and it's delicious!! I keep refilling the pitcher. After about 3 fills, I replace the apple and cinnamon. The last 2 days I've been drinking anywhere from 64-80 ounces of water per day!